BrM Guide -Do you really know how to shuffle?

1 Tauren Shaman
The only fight I've used Healing Elixirs on is H Vizier, and that's only because I was bad and kept eating Attenuations while tanking the Echo without a healer.

:(

Otherwise... I really don't feel it's worth it outside of heroic 5 mans and otherwise trivial content. Heck, Diffuse is more helpful in heroics.
Edited by Kangamooster on 2/24/2013 4:29 AM PST
90 Human Monk
The problem with HE is how it's almost completely out of your control in practice.

In a fight with constant non-trivial physical damage you'll be purifying and using EB constantly, while HE will just happen. If you hold on using a brew just to time a heal, it's almost always going to just offset the extra damage you're taking; for example, holding 4s on clearing a moderate stagger (<3% of your health per tick) is enough to match that 15% heal. That heal isn't large enough to be relevant or make up for it.

And in a fight with majoritarily magic damage, you're better off with DM. Unless the damage isn't threatening enough, but then again your choice wouldn't matter in the first place.
90 Pandaren Monk
I agree that it's not the best talent in that tier, but I find it a bit more useful than certain writeups I've read about it.

Gaming the timer gives me something to keep me entertained on farm fights.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think I've ever taken HE because of not being able to control the heal.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Why does the guy who just finished level a monk to 90 then come into LFR with me, and try to tell me how to play a brewmaster?

><

I can take suggestions like the next person, but don't try to TELL me that what I've been doing (having read this thread, and talked to other brewmasters) is wrong. I've actually DONE something on my monk, and all you've done is... hit kegsmash.
1 Tauren Shaman
Hey now. It could have been Eflow in disguise.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Kangamooster
Hey now. It could have been Eflow in disguise.

He wouldn't be telling me not to 'waste my chi on purifying brew.'
100 Pandaren Monk
So- outside of raid bosses, am I ever going to get to use Dampen Harm?
90 Pandaren Monk
Why does the guy who just finished level a monk to 90 then come into LFR with me, and try to tell me how to play a brewmaster?

><

I can take suggestions like the next person, but don't try to TELL me that what I've been doing (having read this thread, and talked to other brewmasters) is wrong. I've actually DONE something on my monk, and all you've done is... hit kegsmash.

To play devil's advocate, if you're just hitting ninety, you have rarely approached stagger levels that require frequent use of PB in the past ninety levels, so you might be under the impression you never need the ability. But yes, he was still hilariously wrong.
Edited by Meixie on 3/1/2013 3:58 AM PST
1 Tauren Shaman
Nope. Elixirs or Diffuse Magic for soloing, questing, etc.
100 Pandaren Monk
Probably a stupid question, but what are the preferred flask and food buffs?

I ask because guides from other websites can never seem to agree on this.
100 Night Elf Warrior
Probably a stupid question, but what are the preferred flask and food buffs?

I ask because guides from other websites can never seem to agree on this.

Agility, unless you need some extra health for some reason. You usually won't unless you are tanking something in gear much weaker than it is intended for, which mostly only applies to cutting edge guilds. Agility is a great stat, it just usually isn't gemmed because hit/expertise are very important and you get 2 secondary stats for every primary stat when gemming.
100 Pandaren Monk
It actually kinda depends.

While we don't gem straight for stam and whatnot, it's not that stam is bad. It's still healthy to have a good amount of stam, specially in 25mans.

But tbh, the "performance" gain from consumables is really small. Unless you are doing heroic undergeared progression that you have to squeeze all possible min/max stats .. just eat the feast. It will get you stamina btw.

This small stat gains have very little impact on your performance.

But considering you are still in the entry lvl of content and you don't have a lot of hp, just go with stam/stam for food/flask. After you get a little more gear you can mix match at your will.

Rule of thumb is: use stam consumables until you feel confortable. When you reach a point that boss attacks never take scary slices of your hp bar, you can switch to agi consumables. Like any tank, initially, get enough Effect Health (stam). After that is ok, you can start switching to mitigation (agi) as your gear allows you.
100 Night Elf Warrior
Yea, I should have mentioned mine was a 10 man perspective. I can certainly see a monk in a 25 man sticking with stamina a bit longer, but in a 10 man I've really never really felt threatened by my health level, but mostly because we don't progress all that quickly so my gear is way higher than those that cleared it earlier. Most bosses I fight can't even proc dampen harm except on special abilities.

For you personally, if will is your next target, stamina consumables could be nice. They are one of the few 10 man normal bosses that can really throw a punch.

If you want to eat the feast and get agility, you can change spec to windwalker before you eat it. This also leads to hilarious wipes when you forget to change back to brewmaster.
Edited by Asthas on 3/2/2013 1:28 PM PST
100 Pandaren Monk
yeh I mean .. my point is more that there really isn't any "OMG I'M USING X FOOD NOW, IT'S SO MUCH BETTER".

for food just eat the feast and be happy.
for flask, if you are not having hp issues, go agi ... if you are having issues (will is one example), go stam.
90 Pandaren Monk
I do stam for the magic-heavy fights (Lei Shi, Elegon, etc) and do Agi for the rest, though that's more me min-maxing and not really necessary. As others say, eat the feast.

One thing to note though - the feast will give you Stam so if you desperately want Agi from it, switch to WW, eat, then switch back.
Edited by Meixie on 3/2/2013 1:34 PM PST
100 Pandaren Monk
03/02/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Asthas
I can certainly see a monk in a 25 man sticking with stamina a bit longer

for H 25m progression fights I'll put on Stam flask, swap my LW enchants, and put on 1 stam trinket and that is it. Usually the extra HP doesn't end up being needed to healers feel better with a boosted health pool until we see what the damage is like.

For H Garalon I ran with a full Agil loadout since the enrage timer is a much bigger issue than tank survival even during the "tank" phase at the end.
90 Human Monk
Hey, ive read so many guides, and i found this one to be the best by far, really hope it gets sticked. Anyway, i would like your help in a couple of doubts i have. (sorry if they were asked somewhere between the 3 and 5th page which i didnt read). First is the gift of the ox? how do you properly use it? The other tank in my raid was telling me its not viable for a tank to get burst damage, and even though it doesnt happen that often i DO get burst damage (checked your table, im not quite there yet but im approaching the way your optimal skill usage thing looks). So I noticed i do get that burst from time to time. To solve it i ask for a CD to my healers when i know im gonna get hit and i dont have any cds to use. but sometimes I think i can use those spheres. What i like to do is keep them floating next to me and when i get a super hard hit i take one side and return to my position saving the other side for the next possible low health situation. SHould i be just taking them as they appear assuming i am not full on health? And the second thing is related to guard, i read somewhere that it is best used for the self healing boost effect it provides. so glyphing it to absorb just magic damage and on low magic damage fights is ideal since you can have it on all the time. Whats your opinion on this? Thanks.
90 Pandaren Monk
03/04/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Meilin
What i like to do is keep them floating next to me and when i get a super hard hit i take one side and return to my position saving the other side for the next possible low health situation. SHould i be just taking them as they appear assuming i am not full on health?

You're doing it right. Recovering quickly from burst is much more important than maintenance healing, leave the maintenance to the healers.

03/04/2013 07:22 AMPosted by Meilin
And the second thing is related to guard, i read somewhere that it is best used for the self healing boost effect it provides. so glyphing it to absorb just magic damage and on low magic damage fights is ideal since you can have it on all the time.

There was talk early on about doing this, but I'm pretty sure the numbers were crunched and it turned out to be a wash at best. Guard is an incredible tool for disaster recovery or predictable burst, too valuable to give up.
90 Human Monk
I see i see, thats what i suspected. It just seemed so much easier to have it the other way haha. And about the spheres, i think they are awesome most of the time, unfortunatelly many fights require the tank to move around like crazy T_T
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]