What is counted in hps?

100 Pandaren Monk
topic and also does hps really even matter?isnt it the more dmg your group takes the higher your hps will be?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
The way I view hps is simply a general idea of my output. More damage they take, higher your hps will be. Less damage, less hps. If you raid with a class with spam shields (i.e. disc priest) your hps will likely be neutered. So HPS isn't everything there is to it.

The more important question would be: Did anyone die?

If people die, then you can look more into it. (Did the priest only use "heal" during high raid damage resulting in deaths?) etc.

As far as what counts for hps on the meters, I'm assuming just the missing health on players that is healed, and absorbs done. The rest would go into overhealing. < I may be wrong on that, though.

Very few times will simply looking at hps be important. Take into account different healing assignments, etc. There's a number of variables that effect it.
Reply Quote
Hps doesn't really matter much. I mean, if you see that you're pulling triple the hps of someone else on a fight, then there might be a problem, but generally, as long as people aren't dying, it doesn't matter. Hps only shows numbers, it doesn't show things like mana management or how those heals are being used.

I'm not 100% sure what's counted as hps. I believe that absorbs are counted as soon as they're applied, so meters tend to overestimate healing from absorbs (so any absorb that expires without the target taking damage will still count as healing done), and I'm actually not sure if overhealing is counted or not. I don't think it is.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/04/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Shortykungfu
topic

Depends on the addon, I guess. Most of them probably just count whatever the combat log reports as healed, absorbed and overhealed (although idk about unused absorbs).

and also does hps really even matter?

No. Pitchers generally have lousy batting averages, but that's because their role is so different you need a different set of statistics to evaluate their performance.

Number of dead party members per fight would be a good first step (although you should probably not count things like Blades of Light).

isnt it the more dmg your group takes the higher your hps will be?

Mostly. If there are multiple healers, the split between you will be determined mainly by class mechanics and whether or not one of you is deliberately trying to heal all the damage first and leave nothing for the other to do. (If you're both doing that, then the class mechanics determine who succeeds.)

Blizzard doesn't consider this a problem as long as your group is staying alive, and neither should you.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yes, HPS does matter, but it's something that should be evaluated within and by your healing core. Anyone with a decent grasp of the toolkit of the various healers and their assigned roles on fights should be able to identify if someone is under performing, either based on their output and/or spell selection.
Edited by Ceddya on 1/4/2013 9:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I only consider meters if it's a healing issue. As in, there is no hitting berserk and we are nowhere close to it, while everyone is using personal mitigation/self healing to the best of their ability.

In LFR it is meaningless. People will pop their big raid cd's at the start of the fight just to inflate their numbers.

When people judge healers simply by their place in the meters, they are seriously doing it wrong. So much more than raw numbers shows your worth as a healer.

Did you save your cd to prevent a wipe? Are you going oom 2 secs into the fight?

Also, when there is nothing going on, people snipe heals. Especially when there are hots on ppl and there is no incoming dmg.
Edited by Víshtara on 1/4/2013 9:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
topic and also does hps really even matter?isnt it the more dmg your group takes the higher your hps will be?

Sort of. In a raid setting, if multiple people in your group are taking 'more damage', there's a good chance that they're doing something stupid that will cause them to die (and thus be unhealable) and you'll possibly wipe on this boss. Also, if people are taking unnecessary damage, you may often have to use inefficient heals on them to keep them alive, which in turn reduces the mana that you can use throughout the fight.
Edited by Pennoyer on 1/4/2013 9:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/04/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Ceddya
Yes, HPS does matter, but it's something that should be evaluated within and by your healing core. Anyone with a decent grasp of the toolkit of the various healers and their assigned roles on fights should be able to identify if someone is under performing, either based on their output and/or spell selection.

QFT

The only few scenarios where "HPS" is the sole value so to speak, is on encounters you repeatedly wipe from classical "lack of heal" where it is not a matter of improper raid CD useage (somewhat independent from the healers themselves). On "fairly new" content (progression and first few kills), the raw numbers can give some informations but each encounter is so different and tends to favor the mechanics of a certain class over another so it's quite hard to compare.

The real relevent information provided by recount and other damage meters is the spell breakdown and wether it's relevent to the designed role/encounter; the targets healed breakdown and to some extent overhealing breakdown. It gives an insight if the button-pushing is adequate/optimal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/04/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Ceddya

^^ This.

Also, Calo, unused absorbs are counted as overhealing.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I just wanted to clarify a couple things: since about WotLK, absorbs have been counted as heals. Recount, WorldofLogs, etc., all include absorbs. Any absorbs that are not used are not counted as heals. These programs only count the actual amount absorbed. Overheals do not count for amount healed either.

And I'll say what I've always said about hps - it doesn't matter by itself in the long run. Some fights lean towards one class or another and especially as disc there are some fights when there's not significant damage where disc will dominate. In 5 mans hps is silly as it really does depend on damage going off - assuming the healer is actually healing.

Having said that, hps is not a completely useless figure in raids. As others have said though, it is a tool that should be utilized only in conjunction with other information.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
HC
HPS = DPS.

The more you do the better you are.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
HPS = DPS.

You're making me regret my "no beating Eein with a stick" new years resolution.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
HPS = DPS.

lol to be fair if ur doing amazing hps without going oom at all and no one dies then that statement is true and u should solo heal heroic modes =) and ofcourse something to be proud of rofl

but for average player like me Doing decent out put against other player would generally indicate ur doing a decent job.(and ofc no one dying) so hps does count a bit more then what people say... but when raid is going fine no need to watch metres until heroic modes or bosses that are challenging to heal (tsulong maybe?)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think a good stat would be % of heals effective on targets below 50%. Or something to that effect. This would be a measure of your triage... How often were YOU the one with the save? You could have different stats scaling back to 40% health, 30, 20, etc.
Edited by Anoru on 1/6/2013 8:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Your original question "What is counted in hps?" is sort of vague. What is counted is the healing done within a certain window of time. Usually this time is the entire duration of an encounter. However, HPS in burst situations is also extremely important to measure. You can only look at this on world of logs. Certain portions of the fight require extremely high bursts of HPS and a healer needs to know their toolkit well enough to prepare ahead of time or use cooldowns as required by the raid.

The point people talking about above about healing assignments and triage is a valid one. Generally healers better suited to performing that role will have lower HPS than someone spamming AoEs to keep the raid at a respectable health percentage, but their job in making the fight a success is no less important.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]