Leveling is great...then you hit BC.

55 Night Elf Death Knight
01/08/2013 05:51 AMPosted by Kaeilthas
The only section of BC that I really dislike is Hellfire Penn so I level in dungeons from 58 to 59 and then move to Zangarmarsh.

^^

I skip Hellfire, which takes about 45 minutes of dungeons to do, if you're slow.

But I love the other zones.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
For me the only area that I consider HORRIBLE to level through is MoP.
Reply Quote
69 Human Priest
BC has most of my favorite zones. I look forward to it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I don't think I've gotten out of hellfire penn the last 3 times I've leveled in BC.
Reply Quote
69 Human Priest
I'd rather level through Northrend twice than BC content once.
Also, NR music is sooooo much better!!

I guess everyone has their opinions. I think BC has the best music in the game.
Reply Quote
69 Human Priest
01/08/2013 05:37 AMPosted by Zephinism

BC's lore is amazing, if you have to enjoy the content, not rush through it.

Go kill boars

Go loot 8 wood 8 metal

Go collect 12 vials of blood from orcs (which are 25% drop rate).

Collect 30 parts of a zeppelin.

Oh my, the lore is just amazing!

Kill quests and collecting quests exists throughout the entire game........
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I wish players could choose when to accept a level up, and sit on basically 10 levels in your stash. So if you were level 25 and wanted to finish all the quests in ashenvale, you could sit at level 25 and do that. And you would continue to earn experience as a % of a level which you keep stored up. Once done with Ashenvale, you could use as many levels as you had saved, up to to 10, and then go elsewhere.

This way, I feel like players could play the zones they like, at whatever levels - and then skip the zones they dislike.

Perhaps this could work for a player up to level 80 or something, since the leveling process slows down a lot at that point.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I got BC nostalgia a month or so ago - I needed some ore to level up this dude's engineering, so I sent out an alt that happened to have mining. Really, it's a great area.

Hellfire Penninsula. Sure, it's an absolutely enormous zone. But IIRC, questing areas are pretty well blocked together. And it does such a great job at introducing Outland as this torn asunder ball of rock, crawling with demons.

I should note that the ease of leveling doesn't affect me. I haven't played a new toon past its starting area since TBC. Had four level 60s, four level 70s, three level 80s, three level 85s, now two 90s. Probably go down to one level-cap toon on the next expac. It's not that I don't like leveling, it's that I don't like being a low level toon.
Edited by Kerranggaroo on 1/8/2013 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
BC <3 This is the last expact before questing started to get all weird and linear.

The lore is there, you have to read the quests though. People now get the quest, pop open map, look for the area they need to be to kill, collect, or inspect. Then expect the NPC's they kill to give some sort of speech so they know why they killed him in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Nagrand is one of my most loved leveling area in the game, everything else in BC can die in a fire. Northrend has a special place in my heart because I loved WotLK. Cata should have burned with Deathwing, horrible, horrible leveling experience.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Leveling through BC era content makes me what to delete WoW. That is all.

Why?

Is it the speed of it for you, the content in general, or something more specific?

L2Discuss

Well, for me, it is like this...

1). HORRIBLY itemized quest rewards. You have to go through a huge portion of HFP to get a 2H Strength weapon (or use a 2H Agility one), for example. Or how about all of the Str/Int or Str/Agi plate? A lot of items you get in Outland have the wrong stats, useless stats, etc. And there's a whole slew of weapons with nothing but +Attack Power or +Spell Power. No Strength, no Int, no Agility, nothing.

2). Piecemeal quest rewards. So you can do a whole zone and you might fill 4-5 pieces on your paperdoll. Eh, okay. Go to the next zone, you do half that zone, you might fill a piece or two more. By the time you reach 68, odds are you still haven't gotten a (insert piece here) and are STILL wearing that piece from Blasted Lands.

3). Horribly outdated questing model. Seriously, who enjoys the "Collect 12 things from mobs that have a 10% drop rate" quest, like the Timber Worg Tails, or the 15 Mushroom Samples, Bog Lurker Tentacles, Bog Lord/Parched Hydra Samples, Eel Filets, etc? These quests take up HUGE amounts of time, are parts of large quest chains, and reward next to nothing in most cases.

4). Outland has existed for years, which means I've done it many times. Doing it yet AGAIN just makes me go bleck, even if #1 to #3 weren't an issue. It just gets old after awhile, and I'd like to see something New.

5). Herbalism and Mining sucks. Herbs are too few, and Ore... well there are plenty of complaint threads about Fel Iron being too stinking hard to get. It isn't as hard as many people say it is, but it is still a bit too rare IMO. Skinning blows even worse -- you get scraps like every other place, but unlike Northrend, and Cata+, you get scraps from EVERYTHING you skin unless it is Lv69+. And not only do you get scraps, you also get Crystal-Infused Leather (which is 99% useless now), and also Clefthoof Hide if you go to Nagrand. Fel Scales can actually be useful, but only for a couple recipes while leveling Leatherworking and it doesn't even take that many IIRC.

At the very least, at least they seemed to have either toned down the ridiculous mitigation mobs in HFP have, or, the new class changes allow you to overpower it easily. I remember the sheer hatred of the "Whoosh" and "Tink" sounds because it seemed like mobs had a 30% dodge/parry chance or somecrap.

Now, compare those to Northrend...

Yes, Northrend does take a little longer, BUT...

#1: Quests reward better gear with fewer pieces having bad itemization. Yes, there's still the whole Stamina Overload going on in Fjord/Tundra, but even with that, most pieces are still good (except for Boots for STR class, you'll be wearing those HFP gaudy gold-colored boots until at least Dragonblight or Grizzly Hills). I will admit, though, there are far too many pieces of jewelry missing Primary stats (all secondaries, nnnngh).

#2: Every zone in Northrend fills every slot in your paperdoll, though I remember some trinkets and decent weapons being a bit deep into some quest lines in some places. It is nowhere near as bad as Outland, though.

#3: Most quests are better designed, with fewer aggravating quests (though I really wish they'd get rid of the Overcharged Capacitor requirement in Borean Tundra. Why is it that Alliance has a quest that requires a crafted item, but Horde doesn't? But at least that quest isn't that important and can easily be skipped without losing too much. Much fewer "bad drop rate" quests (I think some of them like Grizzly Hill's bear flank quest) have been buffed since Wrath as well.

#4: Northrend hasn't been in the game as long as Outland has, but yes even Northrend does get old sometimes.

#5: Herbs are MUCH easier to find, while Ore... Saronite is easy, Cobalt... just takes a little patience (and/or someone to run you through UK for a guaranteed 2-3 nodes). Herbing experience is much better than in Outland, too. You can get 78->80 on nothing but Herbalism if you wished quite easily. As for Skinning, At least in Northrend, there are only 4 different materials you get from skinning, and three of them are rare as they require specific mobs: Jormungar Scales, Icy Dragonscales and Nerubian Chitin. There are many, many many mobs in Northrend to skin if you do not want Scales or Chitin. So you are guaranteed to get Borean Leather as long as you don't skin a Dragonkin, Jormungar, or Nerubian. Also, you are guaranteed to get at least a full leather if you skin anything that's Level 75+ IIRC. Anything in Sholazar Basin will give you full leather and no scraps.

So, those are my opinions of why Northrend > Outland and why I don't mind Northrend as much as I do Outland.
Edited by Lohfal on 1/8/2013 8:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
01/08/2013 12:58 AMPosted by Noctemtenchi
Leveling through BC era content makes me what to delete WoW. That is all.

You get to thank the lack of content in early Cata for the ability of you to have an enjoyable preBC leveling experience. Shall we slaughter another expansion in order to completely update the leveling zones of BC?

I hear that excuse a lot, but it is BS. Blizzard may have chosen that, but they have to keep leveling content engaging if they want to keep getting new players that have to play through it. They need to keep that in mind the next time they cut end-game stuff in favor of revamps. They need to realize that BOTH are necessary.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I wish players could choose when to accept a level up, and sit on basically 10 levels in your stash. So if you were level 25 and wanted to finish all the quests in ashenvale, you could sit at level 25 and do that. And you would continue to earn experience as a % of a level which you keep stored up. Once done with Ashenvale, you could use as many levels as you had saved, up to to 10, and then go elsewhere.

This way, I feel like players could play the zones they like, at whatever levels - and then skip the zones they dislike.

Perhaps this could work for a player up to level 80 or something, since the leveling process slows down a lot at that point.

I like in northrend and outland I can skip anyyoing quests with mechanics and such and still get other quests, in 1-60 cata you just have to do part of a zone and stop at the annoying quest and go else where.

In Mop for exsample it would have been nice to skip that last quest where you do things from peoples point of view, you know the sniper quest horde.

I always have to spend like a hour trying that quest 6 to 10 times before I manage it. The stupid monkey almost always dies at the very end. That last wave of jynu is too much. Need to nerf that quest, dont care if they nerf the xp to match.
Edited by Hunteravalon on 1/8/2013 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
then you hit deepholme
Reply Quote
........ It's all fast and easy until MoP now, and even MoP isn't bad. some of you spoiled players should have played during Vanilla and Burning Crusade, when you didn't get a mount until level 40 , when you didn't have BoAs, when leveling in general moved slower, it took ages to just get to lvl 30 or 40. It's so easy now and you all whine about it? really?

Edit, Oh and if im not mistaken, Hearthstones had a 2 hour cooldown, (might have just been one hour, but I'm thinking during BC it was 2, I could be wrong)

Ever stop to think that the reason some of us cannot stand BC anymore is BECAUSE we've played since Vanilla, and it is currently the oldest leveling area of the game? It's easy, yes. So is getting my blood drawn at a doctor's office. Doesn't mean I like going through it though.
Reply Quote
62 Orc Hunter
I don't mind BC too much just because I can get it done quickly, usually about 3-5 hours if I am not being harassed. Northrend and Cata are more annoying just because they take longer to complete. I'll agree that BC content is probably the most bland though.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Death Knight
BC is soo easy to lvl thru... its 1-57 that I dread ever doing again.
Reply Quote
98 Dwarf Paladin
I don't mind BC in plate. I hate leveling BC in cloth.

I dungeons make me angry. I don't mean ramps, I mean mana tombs. Let's be honest, NO ONE wanted to run that on heroic back in the day, and there was a reason for that. The instance design is still super challenging.... Which, I don't mind challenge, but the instance wasn't designed with half cocked pugs in mind, so it rarely works out.

That means I feel like I MUST quest to get through the content. And that's tedious. They revamped a lot of quests that used to be group quests but I feel like the drop rates are horrible (and you can't skip a lot of those quests because they are chains). I also feel like the landscape is particularly hostile to leveling without a ground mount.. Mob clutter is horrible in many places. I sigh every time I finish a painfully slow "Murlock heads" quest with an abysmal drop rate, finally get the last head, mount up, and make it only 5 yards before the mobs (which have conveniently respawned before I could leave the area) whack me hard enough to knock me off my horse. It's just painful and slow and discouraging.

I know damn well the emphasis has been taken off leveling... So why not try to clean up mob clutter in some areas (like Outland)?

Edit. Excuse typos. iPhone and auto correct.
Edited by Brynanna on 1/8/2013 10:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
It's really not that bad, IMO.

I always find it funny to read these threads now. I think to leveling before Cataclysm revamped the 1-60 content and being absolutely THRILLED when I hit level 58, so I could go to Outland. ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]