Removing flying mounts in Azeroth.

Cant remove them for level cap, or for lower level stuff. I do however like that you cant fly while leveling in the "new" areas until you are level capped. That was bad
Blizzard Employee
We pretty firmly believe the questing experience is just wholly better when you can't lift off and set down wherever you like, frog leaping from quest objective to quest objective. Certainly we've supported that with no flying for the leveling content of Wrath and Mists, and only after you hit level cap can you obtain the ability to fly. The new zone coming in 5.2 is not unlike the Isle of Quel'Danas in a few ways, and one of them is that there's no flying. That helps us achieve that desire for progressive questing, it's good for supporting world PvP, as well as lets us make really difficult outdoor encounters, like Oondasta - who is OG Kazzak in difficulty - that you can't just drop on top of from the sky.

I can't imagine flying mounts ever going away, they're a big part of the game at this point, but certainly they can take a break when it makes sense and we can present content in a more intimate way from time to time.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/15/2013 10:16 AM PST
90 Draenei Death Knight
We pretty firmly believe the questing experience is just wholly better when you can't lift off and set down wherever you like, frog leaping from quest objective to quest objective. Certainly we've supported that with no flying for the leveling content of Wrath and Mists, and only after you hit level cap can you obtain the ability to fly. The new zone coming in 5.2 is not unlike the Isle of Quel'Danas in a few ways, and one of them is that there's no flying. That helps us achieve that desire for progressive questing, it's good for supporting world PvP, as well as lets us make really difficult outdoor encounters, like Oondasta - who is OG Kazzak in difficulty - that you can't just drop on top of from the sky.

I can't imagine flying mounts ever going away, they're a big part of the game at this point, but certainly they can take a break and we can present content in a more intimate way from time to time.

I agree I firmly believe don't remove the ability. It we be like reverse evolution.
Edited by Mælstromedes on 1/15/2013 10:15 AM PST
100 Worgen Hunter

I can't imagine flying mounts ever going away, they're a big part of the game at this point, but certainly they can take a break when it makes sense and we can present content in a more intimate way from time to time.

I feel so bad for classes that wont be able to stealth past all the mob clusters.
90 Undead Warlock
01/13/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Hycindo
While removing flying would be the best thing for the game overall, I recognise that there's almost no way to remove them without damaging the game and community. The convenience is too great

Have Group Will Travel says hi.
90 Pandaren Monk
01/15/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Bashiok
The new zone coming in 5.2 is not unlike the Isle of Quel'Danas in a few ways, and one of them is that there's no flying.

NOOOOOOO
100 Draenei Shaman
01/13/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Fistadanlys
I disagree, but you can run around on your ground mount as long as you want to.
62 Orc Hunter

I really don't get why you guys don't add something more to flying mounts, like combat or just more flying creatures (like those freakin' birds for the Skyguard dailies) if you despise flying mounts that badly. I would have bet money back in BC that we would have had at least 2 flying mount BGs by now.

Mounts as just a form of travel hurts the game more then flying mounts hurts questing.
90 Troll Shaman
Certainly we've supported that with no flying for the leveling content of Wrath and Mists, and only after you hit level cap can you obtain the ability to fly.

You can fly in northrend at 68.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I actually enjoy not being able to fly in some current zones, like Tol Barad and leveling MoP, because I get to use some of my sexy old ground mounts I forget I even have^_^.

I am curious though if, over time flying mounts are "gated" what other options for quick travel could be implemented. I do enjoy the farming town portals and would love to see other "flying mount" alternative for fast travel.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Removing flying mounts would be the end. I myself would at least so no to wearing out my sneaks again, yuk
90 Human Paladin
i agree ...if we wanted to walk around or take in scenery...we would...most of us just want to lvl and gear so we can raid...slowing us down and forcing us to pay for endless new flight lvls is insulting
90 Human Paladin
I find it funny that the creators in this company continue to try and tell us what is better and worse about a game we continually pay for.

However, I continue to play it religiously...so /shrug
100 Worgen Warrior
We pretty firmly believe the questing experience is just wholly better when you can't lift off and set down wherever you like, frog leaping from quest objective to quest objective.

I guess all I can say is I completely disagree. People who like to quest, can always use ground mounts to enjoy their epic experience. For those of us who hate questing, I don't even read any of text, I just accept and go. I want to get it over with as fast as possible. It's boring, it's not fun, it's just a requirement to get to max level where the real game begins or I'm just doing my dailies and want to get it over with.

I understand some people love questing. Great for them! They still have a option to not use flying. The fact that they still fly, says they must not like the ground experience all that much. I know there is some argument that they will do whatever is easiest, I argue, they do what they find most enjoyable

I also understand this is really important for people who say they love PvP\WPVP. Just seems like you punish PvE players\servers to give the PvP players what they want.

Not QQing either, just giving my feedback.
Edited by Daleus on 1/15/2013 10:32 AM PST
90 Human Warrior
What Blizzard should do is take out the immunities associated with flying mounts. You should be able to slow, stun, trap, sap and otherwise incapacitate players while they are flying around you. Even allow them to be polyed off their flying mounts but don't allow falling damage for 15 seconds afterward.
90 Human Hunter
Has there been any discussion of adding roaming flying packs of mobs in certain zones to ground players? Not all the time and not in every zone, but just add a little danger to flying knowing that at any moment some mob could come out of the clouds, dive-bomb you and send you screaming to your demise on some sharp rocks.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]