Challenge Modes - Melee's Bane

My team just recently started running challenge modes but I was just curious...did you intentionally gimp melee in these things? I mean, I can totally see why a lot of teams use all ranged DPS. A lot of the time, yeah, I do fine...but on certain challenges like Stormstout, the damage is unforgiving. If I hesitate for a split second when stuff hits the ground and I'm standing in it, I'm dead. Now granted, this can probably and most definitely be avoided as I learn and anticipate it. But because of the amount of damage that goes out with some of these AoE abilities that the tank shrugs off and the range don't have to really worry about, I as a melee DPS feel almost useless on some fights because I have to be more concerned and focused on not dying to super-damage mechanics and thus less on actually dealing damage.

My utility in trash is great: Leg Sweep + Fists of Fury, but it's hard to be of any help when you take two quick ticks from a puddle of beer on the floor and die.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
It is rough on melee and sadly it doesn't seem like that will change anytime soon but there are things you can do to compensate. Personally I always tried to anticipate when AOE/cleaves were about to come so I could avoid them. If you try to be reactive instead of proactive you will have a lot more issue.

To give an example, looking at Stormstout Brewery, I died a couple times trying to get Gold on that one due to Suds from the later mobs. But I realized they were pretty easy to avoid actually. When they're going to drop suds they have a cast bar that you can watch for or, even better, they all stand still and their hands start glowing while casting before they drop it. Just watch for the animation and start moving away (try to move with the tank) before it even comes out. Again, in this situation if you try to react after it's thrown on the ground you will very likely die as it kills very quickly and you will have to have a very fast response time. If you try to look out for when it will drop before it actually drops you can much more easily avoid it.

There's a lot of situations throughout the challenge modes that simply do not favor melee at all, but you can manage. Plenty of melee have gotten 9/9 and you can too.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I think this raid tier has probably been the fairest on melee for a while. Aside from Elegon, not much else heavily favors ranged. And we did H Elegon with 4 melee/2 ranged.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
01/14/2013 06:04 AMPosted by Dayuv
I think this raid tier has probably been the fairest on melee for a while. Aside from Elegon, not much else heavily favors ranged. And we did H Elegon with 4 melee/2 ranged.

Raid tier is fine actually -
I'm loving H:Garalon progression as Fury.

(OMG CLEAVE ALL THE THINGS.)

Seems like every time I've done CM's I get stuck with Brewery right off the bat though;
And just...
fdsfdsfsdf. Suds.
It's not that bad since I can just Whirlwind cleave them while moving.

Too bad that's never been the issue in that place.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
My team did challenge modes with 1 rogue, 1 dks and a tank warrior, it went very well overall.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
We did them months ago with ret/warrior/demo lock and a blood DK. It was incredibly painful at times but it still worked out in the end.

One melee is fine IMO, but you start to see massive diminishing returns when you bring more than one.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
We did them months ago with ret/warrior/demo lock and a blood DK. It was incredibly painful at times but it still worked out in the end.

One melee is fine IMO, but you start to see massive diminishing returns when you bring more than one.

What spec was the warrior if you don't mind me asking?
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
We ran with a dps cat in our group, worked pretty well. Could have run a war, or rogue as well.

There's a few rare instances where being melee really sucks- first trash hall of Mogu'shan where the add cleave 1 shots melee for example. But as long as you work around the few rare instances, for the most part it goes OK.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Melee are gimped in all / most forms of pve content in this game when compared to ranged.
Just be happy you're playing the class with the best challenge mode tanking spec.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I did Temple of Jade Serpent with a Fury Warrior (and I'm a Ret Paladin). The Warrior died CONSTANTLY on the first pull lmao, but it's a pretty insane pull for melee with all the crap you can't stand in going on at once (we pulled all the trash up to and including the first boss). Also had a Prot Paladin tank. Fun!

It really wasn't that hard though. Again, I think if you plan ahead enough you can manage just fine. There are only a few instances where I think melee are significantly weaker. Ranged are definitely better overall though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
There might a few tougher pulls (mogushan palce, but even then with interrupts on the caster mobs for the stun they throw out + 3 long duration stuns (which do suffer from DR) which USUALLY melee bring better of, but not always), but wasn't ever an issue that caused wipes (perhaps more planning).

We always did either:

Me (enhance), prot warrior, monk (ww) (or frost dk), demo / destruction lock, resto druid

or me healing and the monk (ww) + frost dk in place for dps.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
01/14/2013 11:37 AMPosted by Narph
My team did challenge modes with 1 rogue, 1 dks and a tank warrior, it went very well overall.

Ok real talk for a moment, DKs don't count in this discussion because they can be 90% effective AEing stuff in challenge modes from range.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My group has successfully completed all challenge modes with a Prot Pally, Ret Pally, Frost DK, Ele/Enh Shammy and a disc priest. There were multiple dungeons/pulls when all of our DPS were melee, so I promise you it is indeed possible and we've set some very decent times with regular improvement.

I see several people mentioning Brewery, specifically the sudsy alementals. These were more of a dps soak than a real threat if you coordinate with them. Using the four at the very end before the final boss as an example:

- We killed them in the center of the room (the lowered portion with the square tiles as placement indicators.)

- If we stunned them, we made sure the stun landed on all of them and immediately after a suds so they all go off at the same time, every time. If you do any form of CC to only one, then the sud timers are going to be different and cause problems.

- Each time they started to cast suds, we'd move 1-2 squares ahead, or clockwise if we were at the end of the lane. They'd all drop their suds in one square and immediately come just a few yards ahead to the next where we were waiting. This ensures maximum DPS uptime and no avoidable damage that our priest had to heal.

Our best time is 11:32 with a screw up in the earlier part of the instance that cost us a substantial amount of time. We strongly believe we can finish it in just under 11 minutes when we go back.

As for Mogu'shan, that was the second one we went after I believe. The biggest pain in that instance in my opinion, like others are saying, are the first few trash packs up to the first boss. We just started being very careful with Whirlwind and made sure we got away ....far, far away.

Temple of the Jade Serpent was one where we had our shaman switch to enhance after the library and for the rest of the instance (or maybe she did it before the library? I don't remember - she was elemental for Wise Mari though). That meaning that our entire group, save the healer, were melee. We finished in 14:01 with two substantial mistakes that cost us 30-40 seconds overall at least, which we're going back to fix.

It is possible to finish them with a melee heavy group - granted you likely aren't going to get Region Best or anything, but gold is possible with a comfortable time-cushion. I'd be glad to help with any questions about it!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
brewery is the worst CM of them all, the rest aren't too bad.

MGP was the only other one of note with the whirlwinders, but those are controllable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
For the record I died the most in MGP. The whirlwinds 2-shot.

Another thing that should be considered in how melee are weaker is that kiting is more limited with melee because you cannot root mobs next to a melee. I've died several times because of someone trying to help kiting or whatever else and they rooted a mob or two next to me which one-shot me. I also have to worry about aggro more in a kiting situation because if I pull agro then I may die before a tank can pick it up. Again, with ranged DPS this is not a concern.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
ehh, rooting during kiting strats hurt damage too much to be worth it. Slows were honestly much superior.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I actually enjoyed my rogue more than any other toon I've done in CMs so far.

Shroud/distract are so amazing for some.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]