Huge disc changes in the ptr build

90 Orc Shaman
From MMO champ

"Divine Aegis Critical heals create a protective shield on the target, absorbing 50% of the amount healed. Lasts 15 sec. Priest - Discipline Spec."

Sounds like PoH no longer contributes at all to DA if it doesn't crit

"Rapture Removes the cooldown on Power Word: Shield and reduces its mana cost by 50%. In addition, when your Power Word: Shield is completely absorbed or dispelled you are instantly energized with mana equal to 100% of your Spirit (excluding short-duration Spirit bonuses). This effect can only occur once every 12 sec. Priest - Discipline Spec."

So PW shield is 50% cheaper, but nerfing rapture to 50% of what it previously was.

Thoughts?

EDIT to fix a big correction here - The DA nerf is big, but I was expecting something more from penance is not even there (though its still ptr, so expect a buff to it).

IMO, I think DA needed a nerf from PoH as well as rapture toned down a bit, but the DA change seems like they it was done in knee-jerk fashion. But its still the PTR and again since they havn't even gone through with the penance change, lots can happen.

Ah and there is a solace change there too, but it seems more relevant to shadow.

Just to clarify - the rapture nerf in the end won't be felt that huge since the cost of PW: shield dropped as well. The cutoffpoint right now is 9150 spirit. if you sit above this number, you will be slightly nerfed. if you sit below, this change going through will be a buff.

But the DA change is a straight up nerf.
Edited by Gardiff on 1/16/2013 4:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The rapture change is overkill. I'm hoping that is just wrong in the data mined notes.

Removing divine aegis from all PoH heals seems like a bad change too. If blizz wants us to use more than just PoH, they should give us more aoe spells than just PoH.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
None of them ever once asked for the ludicrous buffs Blizzard gave them in response to the fairly indisputable fact that they were bad at the beginning of this expansion.
Edited by Taymage on 1/16/2013 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC
01/16/2013 02:43 PMPosted by Taymage
None of them ever once asked for the ludicrous buffs Blizzard gave them in response to the fairly indisputable fact that they were bad at the beginning of this expansion.

Disc was bad because it was the beginning of an expansion, disc scaled perfectly fine and would've been more than fine(World first guilds were bringing it before the overbuffs). People couldn't wait and cried wolf, now the bed is made. Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters.

But hey, a community that turned into a community almost worse than dps so I guess it's expected especially when coupled with entitlement and the "I want it now!" attitude. So they nerfed your scaling and owned DA so it can spam bubble a bit more.
Edited by Sensations on 1/16/2013 2:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I realize that's what all of you guys like to tell yourselves. It doesn't make it any less false, however.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC
01/16/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Taymage
I realize that's what all of you guys like to tell yourselves. It doesn't make it any less false, however.

So you're saying disc doesn't scale well? Good to know.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
01/16/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Sensations

Disc was bad because it was the beginning of an expansion, disc scaled perfectly fine. People couldn't wait and cried wolf, now the bed is made. Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters.

No, they were bad because they were bad and wouldn't be taken over a second mistweaver monk.

Disc priests can't even get in RBGs and arena's yet people are not happy until they cease to exist it any aspect of this game.

There have been many posts about priests discussing changes to their own spec regarding pve changes.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC

Disc was bad because it was the beginning of an expansion, disc scaled perfectly fine. People couldn't wait and cried wolf, now the bed is made. Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters.

No, they were bad because they were bad and wouldn't be taken over a second mistweaver monk.

Disc priests can't even get in RBGs and arena's yet people are not happy until they cease to exist it any aspect of this game.

There have been many posts about priests discussing changes to their own spec regarding pve changes.

I'm sorry where did I say they weren't bad at the start? I said they scaled extremely well and it would've evened out, and due to what they bring Disc were still being brought to top kills in early heroic progression.

Also, this has nothing to do with PvP. It's me laughing @ how the disc community acted.
Edited by Sensations on 1/16/2013 2:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
The rapture change is overkill. I'm hoping that is just wrong in the data mined notes.

Removing divine aegis from all PoH heals seems like a bad change too. If blizz wants us to use more than just PoH, they should give us more aoe spells than just PoH.

Well, PW:S currently costs 18,300 mana, but for Disc in 5.2, it would cost 9,150.

For Rapture to return the cost of PW:S today and be a positive mana return, it requires 7,320 spirit, while in 5.2, it will require 9,150.

Ok, that's a pretty big nerf. The DA/PoH nerf is WAY too harsh, it'll cripple Disc's AoE healing. I mean, it was a bit too strong before, but now without a guaranteed DA from PoH, that's a lot of wasted healing from proactively shielding the raid. Hopefully this change doesn't go through.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
No, what I'm saying is (1) the idea that disc was "fine" at the beginning of the expansion, and that priests should have been banned from ever complaining on the forums because scaling would allegedly have rendered them better 4 months later is both wrong and silly; and (2) this is completely false: "Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters" - although it does fit the narrative you guys like to push.
Edited by Taymage on 1/16/2013 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight

I'm sorry where did I say they weren't bad at the start? I said they scaled extremely well and it would've evened out, and due to what they bring Disc were still being brought to top kills in early heroic progression.

Also, this has nothing to do with PvP.

You mean the changes to rapture, their mastery, buffs to PoH and PoM and the way atonement works?

Yeah those didn't help that scaling at all.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
HC
No, what I'm saying is (1) the idea that disc was "fine" at the beginning of the expansion, and that priests should have been banned from ever complaining on the forums because they allegedly would have been fine 4 months later is both wrong and silly; and (2) this is completely false: "Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters" - although it does fit the narrative you guys like to push.

Now you're twisting words and using hyperbole, just stop. If you wish to refute what I'm saying I'm sure you can get kaels to do it with math.

You mean the changes to rapture, their mastery, buffs to PoH and PoM and the way atonement works?

Yeah those didn't help that scaling at all.

Even before the buffs, Disc was the best scaling healer.
Edited by Sensations on 1/16/2013 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The DA thing is probably a mistake or whatever.

PW:S/Rapture change seems neat.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters.
This is demonstrably false. You probably know it's demonstrably false, and are just trolling. Still, on the off-chance someone would otherwise take your word for it, I feel compelled to point out that you are lying.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
01/16/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Sensations
Priest sat there quietly once it received it's overbuffs and didn't fight for mechanical changes, all they wanted was to look good on meters.

Except that entire thread that was made asking for the DA buff to be reverted and for spirit shell to be nerfed that was made by priests. We'll just ignore that guy and pretend more than two people in the entire world thought we were fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
01/16/2013 02:51 PMPosted by Sensations
Now you're twisting words and using hyperbole, just stop.

I assume you are not talking about the part where I literally quoted you.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Actually the rapture change is not as huge as it may seem. I'm a moron for not seeing this. Its a buff depending on what your spirit is.

It will effect you less if you started off with less spirit in the first place. Like if you sat at sub 9150 spirit (I as a shaman do this, don't know about disc), you will see the changes as a BUFF.

Shield costs 18300 mana at 90. Let's say you had just enough spirit to cover this cost (and exclude the temporary spirit buffs like mana tide etc), or 9150. Right now you would get 18300 mana or 0 net mana

With the next patch, shield costs you only 9150 mana, but you also only get that much back meaning (9150 mana).... its no different than it is now (0 net mana). The point of this change is that it fixes the out-of-scaling problem that discipline has WHILE allowing you to use power word shield more often - kudos to blizzard for fixing it like this and getting 2 things done in one change.

Of course the higher spirit you are right now (I don't know what normal spirit is for a discipline priest), the more it will feel like a nerf. But if you are sitting at 9000 or so spirit right now, come patch day it will be no different for you.

I can't figure out how big of a nerf the DA changes are. Someone else can talk about that.
Edited by Gardiff on 1/16/2013 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]