Huge disc changes in the ptr build

90 Blood Elf Priest
You are aware that parses for Sha of Fear aren't accurate because of the distance between Cackled raid members? The healer in that parse is the one who uploaded it. So yes, her healing is going to appear far greater than everyone else's, as on 10 man you are never in the same area with your fellow healer for more than 10-20 seconds at a time until (I believe) the third phase.

Ah, ok. Didn't realize that messed up the logs. Was wondering wtf their shaman was doing.

To be fair, there are also a lot of paladins solo healing the same fights, and some fights that for whatever reason I don't see any disc priest soloing (Elegon 10N - but I do see 10H). OP set bonus is OP.

And there are a few solo MW logs from before their nerfs. Don't see any solo shamans, druids or holy priests though.
Edited by Kaels on 1/21/2013 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Solo Healing normals has never been impressive and can be done by any average Joe.

I do wonder though if any Heroics other than Elegon have been solo healed. I can maybe see H SG/Feng, I think the rest would be a disaster.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Solo Healing normals has never been impressive and can be done by any average Joe.

I do wonder though if any Heroics other than Elegon have been solo healed. I can maybe see H SG/Feng, I think the rest would be a disaster.

The Elegon parse isn't a solo heal. They had a Resto Druid in there, but they were lower than one of the tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 11:44 AMPosted by Kaels
You are aware that parses for Sha of Fear aren't accurate because of the distance between Cackled raid members? The healer in that parse is the one who uploaded it. So yes, her healing is going to appear far greater than everyone else's, as on 10 man you are never in the same area with your fellow healer for more than 10-20 seconds at a time until (I believe) the third phase.

Ah, ok. Didn't realize that messed up the logs. Was wondering wtf their shaman was doing.

To be fair, there are also a lot of paladins solo healing the same fights, and some fights that for whatever reason I don't see any disc priest soloing (Elegon 10N - but I do see 10H). OP set bonus is OP.

And there are a few solo MW logs from before their nerfs. Don't see any solo shamans, druids or holy priests though.

That Disc Priest didn't solo Heal Elegon. You didn't look close enough at the parse. There is a Resto Druid healing with them, they were just slightly below the tank (a DK if I remember correctly).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The Elegon parse isn't a solo heal. They had a Resto Druid in there, but they were lower than one of the tanks.

Ohhh. Still though, I feel it'd be doable. Atonement is broken on that fight, especially if your DPS are good at orbs (which they would be, cause you'd have an extra DPS).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
They have two healers in this fight. Seriously, Kaels, did you even look at these parses?

...where?

disc priest, prot paladin, shadowpriest, warlock, boomkin, DK, ret paladin, WW monk, warrior, hunter...yeah, that's 1 healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That Disc Priest didn't solo Heal Elegon. You didn't look close enough at the parse. There is a Resto Druid healing with them, they were just slightly below the tank (a DK if I remember correctly).

Yes they did. The druid is a boomkin, and is below the warlock, and never touched an active healing ability.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 11:58 AMPosted by Kaels

Yes they did. The druid is a boomkin, and is below the warlock, and never touched an active healing ability.

No no, you're right. I had the wrong parse open.

Amber Shaper 10N
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vuu81h6jzxfhjsk1/sum/healingDone/?s=13305&e=13643

^^ That's the one with the healer. It's in German, but if you open the healing up, it tells you each ability in English. Wildwuchs is your telltale sign. That's Wild Growth. I'm not entirely sure what the Druid was doing for most of the fight, he only has 39% uptime. I think he must have died or ended up in a construct early on.

I still have no idea how the other guild solo-healed H Elegon. We're starting the fight this week, so I guess I'll see. But I've noticed that every single parse you've linked, none of them are really "solo-healing." They all have hybrids off-healing in some way, or using CDs (Tranq, VE, etc.) to keep the raid up.

Edit: Lila says I'm not allowed to read parses before I wake up. :-P
Edited by Tiriél on 1/21/2013 12:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well...who brings hybrids and doesn't have them off-heal?

I do about 1/4 of a healer's worth of healing on most fights as Shadow, and we're 2- or 3-healing. I'm obviously hitting Halo on CD and VE to help heal up burst. There's pretty much no reason for me not to pop PoM before AoE...I lose one tick of Mind Flay, oh noes. And if I'm moving during AoE, why wouldn't I Renew some people?

I suspect boomkins are similar. And Enh is crazy with the instant free Healing Rains on stackburst.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well...who brings hybrids and doesn't have them off-heal?

I do about 1/4 of a healer's worth of healing on most fights as Shadow, and we're 2- or 3-healing. I'm obviously hitting Halo on CD and VE to help heal up burst. There's pretty much no reason for me not to pop PoM before AoE...I lose one tick of Mind Flay, oh noes. And if I'm moving during AoE, why wouldn't I Renew some people?

I suspect boomkins are similar. And Enh is crazy with the instant free Healing Rains on stackburst.

But my point is that on the parses where the Disc Priests could do it alone without any hybrids, so could any other class. On the parses where the Disc Priests NEED the hybrids, they COULD NOT have done those fights without them (save for maybe the Gara'jal fight, but I think if you look at the parse you can tell that it's absolutely being cheesed and they were ignoring the mechanics, and I'm not sure that losing 6 of 10 party members in a 10 man is exactly "success").
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That's true, but solo healing (in content-appropriate gear) has always relied on the rest of the raid playing more defensively.

Doesn't really make the second healer in a raid with an aggressive disc priest feel any better.

"Kaeladin at your service. Yes, I'm here to cover the healing that you guys could do but don't feel like it. I'm also available to do your dishes and clean your toilets. Perhaps you'd like me to go run your dailies?"
Edited by Kaels on 1/21/2013 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That's true, but solo healing (in content-appropriate gear) has always relied on the rest of the raid playing more defensively.

Doesn't really make the second healer in a raid with an aggressive disc priest feel any better. "Yes, I'm here to cover the healing that you guys could do but don't feel like it."

On many fights, they are simply not doable without a second healer. Sha of Fear, for instance, is not solo healable unless you have one DPS spend the bulk of their time healing (and even then, I'm not sure they'd be able to handle it).

On other fights, well. The simple fact appears to be that players no longer ascribe to the idea, "I'm working as a member of a team." It's all about numbers now, which is sad. Because I remember a time when numbers, while important (if they were drastically low anyway) were not the be-all and end-all.

I'd also point out that looking at fights where everyone is doing everything right and avoiding as much avoidable damage as possible is not really going to show anything but healer suppression. Most normal fights appear to be designed with the idea that you'll be taking avoidable damage (Sha of Fear comes to mind). If your raid is uber good at avoiding all of that, you probably need to be doing heroic content. And in heroic content, Disc has a hard time covering everything (except for that Elegon parse, apparently lol).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Most normal fights appear to be designed with the idea that you'll be taking avoidable damage (Sha of Fear comes to mind).

"Yes, I'm here to handle the healing that you guys could do yourselves, but don't feel like it, and also to clean you up when you stand in poo that you could learn to avoid, but don't feel like it. Fail harder, please. Or stop failing so we can go do heroics. Something. I'm bored."

It's one thing when part of my job is to help heal stupid. It's another thing when my entire purpose in life is to heal lazy and/or stupid because that's literally the only healing that breaks through the shields and the constant PoH blanket.

(I love Will of the Emperor so much. I feel so useful!)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Kaels
Most normal fights appear to be designed with the idea that you'll be taking avoidable damage (Sha of Fear comes to mind).

"Yes, I'm here to handle the healing that you guys could do yourselves, but don't feel like it, and also to clean you up when you stand in poo that you could learn to avoid, but don't feel like it. Fail harder, please. Or stop failing so we can go do heroics. Something. I'm bored."

It's one thing when part of my job is to help heal stupid. It's another thing when my entire purpose in life is to heal lazy and/or stupid because that's literally the only healing that breaks through the shields and the constant PoH blanket.

(I love Will of the Emperor so much. I feel so useful!)

*shrugs* There is no constant PoH blanket in my raids. That may make me bad, but I have healers who are also healing with me, and my tanks prefer me to focus them rather than spend time spamming the raid. And on fights like Will of the Emperor, I'd love to see how I could manage that. -_- There's so much movement/spread in that fight.

I'm still opposed to wasting mana on PoH when no one needs healing. But, I am sorry that you're healing with a jerk.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I wasn't being sarcastic about Will. I actually do love it. It's the only encounter this tier where I can't be shut down almost completely.

(well, I guess Gara'jal too, but that's a gimmick.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I wasn't being sarcastic about Will. I actually do love it. It's the only encounter this tier where I can't be shut down almost completely.

(well, I guess Gara'jal too, but that's a gimmick.)

You can't be shut down on Sha, you will shine on Tsulong, the Disc Priest will not be able to predict Get Away on Lei Shi, and there is intense tank and raid damage at points on Protectors Elite (granted, your tank has to be kind of silly and stand in a dot, BUT). Even Spirit Shell will not soak up everything in Empress, Purify and HoP literally saved us on H Blade Lord, etc.

But on normals, no, you're going to feel very shut out a lot of the time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 12:59 PMPosted by Tiriél
the Disc Priest will not be able to predict Get Away on Lei Shi

You can predict it to a degree, but you're out a buttload of mana if she decides to do Hide instead. I won't lie and say I haven't SS/stacked DA on Lei Shi just in hopes of getting it (been successful many times at doing so). Mostly I leave it to the Shaman and afk healing tide it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/21/2013 01:09 PMPosted by Qùess
the Disc Priest will not be able to predict Get Away on Lei Shi

You can predict it to a degree, but you're out a buttload of mana if she decides to do Hide instead. I won't lie and say I haven't SS/stacked DA on Lei Shi just in hopes of getting it (been successful many times at doing so). Mostly I leave it to the Shaman and afk healing tide it.

I tried this last week.

She trolled me so hard. I think I got one in. The rest was just a waste of mana, because she decided to Hide instead of Get Away.

She may look like a Water Spirit, but she's a freaking troll.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/21/2013 11:55 AMPosted by Qùess

Ohhh. Still though, I feel it'd be doable. Atonement is broken on that fight, especially if your DPS are good at orbs (which they would be, cause you'd have an extra DPS).

Atonement is broken on at least 6 hard mode fights. When a healing method that is almost mana neutral put out the same amount of healing as spamming greater heal, it is pretty broken. Unless Blizzard is going to be more circumspect with damage modifier fights, atonement need some serious reevaluation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Only 5 fights have damage modifiers and Wind Lord is the only one that's over the top.

Not like Disc needs any more nerfs at this point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]