Challenge modes Future

So Could we ever have challenge modes for all Dungeons and raids where you could come in the current cap and have it be as difficult as when it first came out. The rewards could be gear up-grade tokens you can use at vendors to up-grade your current expansion gear or tier. That way difficulty could be easily changed every expansion. To be honest Challenge mode should always be challenging so if there were QQ's about how hard it was people should have in mind that it is working as intended and never ever nerf them.
Edited by Arhagon on 1/17/2013 10:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
I'd rather they keep Challenge Modes rewards limited to vanity rewards. If you put in ANY sort of gear progression, they gon get nerfed.

01/17/2013 10:47 AMPosted by Forr
There should be a Challenged mode where your hands are tied behind your back.

Mages would be incredibly OP here.
Edited by Awkward on 1/17/2013 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/17/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Forr
With all their hand-waving going on I'd have to think they'd be challenged too.

I cast with my face.

I kind of like Challenge Modes because the rewards aren't upgrade based but vanity. Vanity seems appropriate.

Also, before CMs existed and back in LK when running heroics was more of a thing than in Cata (I guess? Also because they were easy until the ICC ones came out) we used to make our own hardmodes. Being that our 10man was 90% Pokemon at the time we called it the Squirtle Squad Challenge.

Basically we did our daily heroic with no UI (and by no UI I don't mean no addons, I mean like you hide it for a screenshot) while playing in first person.

There were casualties but no apologies and no regrets.
Edited by Ninetales on 1/17/2013 10:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock

With all their hand-waving going on I'd have to think they'd be challenged too.

Maybe Hunters would do best because they get a pet. Or a Warlock or something.

If we're looking at it THAT way, it would be Death Knights. They could headbutt stuff and then people would complain that season 12 helmet is OP.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
01/17/2013 11:00 AMPosted by Awkward
If we're looking at it THAT way, it would be Death Knights. They could headbutt stuff and then people would complain that season 12 helmet is OP.

Says the guy who needs to manually hold his helm up because the horns are so big.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
01/17/2013 11:02 AMPosted by Ninetales

Says the guy who needs to manually hold his helm up because the horns are so big.

It's great for ramming contests to prove who's the dominant Warlock, but it's lacking in killing power.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
01/17/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Awkward
I'd rather they keep Challenge Modes rewards limited to vanity rewards. If you put in ANY sort of gear progression, they gon get nerfed.

This. I like challenge modes because they are challenging and give me something that I can use until my game time is ultimately over.

I vaguely remember there being a post somewhere saying they wanted to do more challenge modes, but don't quote me on it. If they do, I hope the keep it vanity items only, I don't want them being nerfed ever.
Reply Quote

There should be a Challenged mode where your hands are tied behind your back.

If you are going to listen to people crying for nerfs ok. I guess people will cry at anything so then vanity rewards? They would have to change the vanity item yearly then since there would not be a point to do the challenge mode on the next expantion if you already have that vanity Item.
Reply Quote
11 Human Warrior
01/17/2013 10:42 AMPosted by Arhagon
So Could we ever have challenge modes for all Dungeons and raids where you could come in the current cap and have it be as difficult as when it first came out. The rewards could be gear up-grade tokens you can use at vendors to up-grade your current expansion gear or tier. That way difficulty could be easily changed every expansion. To be honest Challenge mode should always be challenging so if there were QQ's about how hard it was people should have in mind that it is working as intended and never ever nerf them.

Challenge mode will only offer vanity items. They will always be be difficult to get gold, and they said they would like to see challenge modes for all dungeons.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Current challenge modes do normalize people's gear and levels down, so current challenge modes will always be the same (or near same) difficulty into the future. Not exactly what you mean, I know, but that kind of tech does already exist.

Challenge modes are already the most efficient way to get Valor, which is pretty rewarding. If we put an item at the end of it, either it's going to be low enough ilvl to be worthless to the types of people tending to run challenge modes (progression raiders), or it's going to be a BiS, at which point challenge modes become required for progression, tuning suddenly becomes a really big deal, etc. etc. It's not the intent of challenge modes, and not somewhere we're planning to take them.
Edited by Bashiok on 1/18/2013 1:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Current challenge modes do normalize people's gear and levels down, so current challenge modes will always be the same (or near same) difficulty into the future. Not exactly what you mean, I know, but that kind of tech does already exist.

Challenge modes are already the most efficient way to get Valor, which is pretty rewarding. If we put an item at the end of it, either it's going to be low enough ilvl to be worthless to the types of people tending to run challenge modes (progression raiders), or it's going to be a BiS, at which point challenge modes become required for progression, tuning suddenly becomes a really big deal, etc. etc. It's not the intent of challenge modes, and not somewhere we're planning to take them.

How about a loot bag of vanity stuff and pots/flask?

Or a freakish amount of gold.

Or lesser charms of good fortune?
Edited by Drede on 1/18/2013 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue

Since that is how they work, why not make them for old instances too? Or do you guys want to avoid getting people to do old content instead of new content?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
TF
Having just finished progression and gotten my first taste of Challenge Modes, my opinion is don't change a thing. The rewards are already really cool; they don't need to be so good that they become mandatory for raiding. I hope that, going forward, any new instances that get added also come with an accompanying CM and more vanity stuff. I'd love to see weapons/ohs that go with the armor sets that are already in the game.
Reply Quote
Just had a great idea for the future of challenge modes reading this thread!

I think it would be a great idea to implement challenge modes for all raids which would allow you to do do any raid, say MC, and it would still be fun. The rewards can have the same kind of flavor they do now just and just give that tier of gear, maybe revamped a little bit to signify that it wasn't picked up normally in the raid but though challenge mode.

This would bring life and a little more relevance back to the old raids. Allowing new players the same experiences that some of the wow veterans have enjoyed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Since that is how they work, why not make them for old instances too? Or do you guys want to avoid getting people to do old content instead of new content?

As much as I would love to see this I can think of a few reasons why it would be a really difficult task for their team.

How would levels work for different tiers of CMs? Would you be level 80 for LK dungeons? More importantly, how are different tiers of CMs going to work moving forward? Are we going to be able to use our level 95 abilities in level 90 CMs?

And as much as I would love to see CMs for classic dungeons, I don't think it's possible unless they scale the dungeons up. If they scale characters down (and decide to let the level dictate the available abilities for your class) some classes just wouldn't be viable for certain dungeons. For example, why would you take a tank that doesn't have his AoE for that level instance? You'd take the class that does.

It sounds a lot more plausible to pull it off for the dungeons released in expansions but I doubt we'd ever see vanilla ones =(

I am really curious how the abilities and levels will work for Mists dungeons at the next level cap though.

01/18/2013 01:22 PMPosted by Bashiok
Challenge modes are already the most efficient way to get Valor,

This was a startling revelation for me. We had been trying for golds every week for a while there and I was capping valor easily and didn't really think about it much. Once we finished I started having to do heroics and scenarios again XD

How about a loot bag of vanity stuff and pots/flask?

Or a freakish amount of gold.

Or lesser charms of good fortune?

Those really don't make sense for Challenge Mode rewards. CMs don't even drop loot from trash or bosses - it's just not the point of running them.
Edited by Ninetales on 1/18/2013 2:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
you should enjoy the challenge modes, the one record on Daggerspine is held by four people who haven't been on the server in months.

edit: Did the OP really just go, "You should change something to the way it is, because I don't know how it works?"
Edited by Creepjacker on 1/18/2013 4:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Oh, hopefully you use that tech on older dungeons/raids.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
01/18/2013 01:22 PMPosted by Bashiok

But if you keep the rewards strictly vanity items, there's a good chance we'll see more challenge modes in the future right? *wink wink nudge nudge*

:3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]