A modest preposal on healer DPS.

90 Night Elf Priest
Increase healer DPS through a very specific Buff.
Every kill a healer executes on a mob in the game world (Excluding Dungeons/Raids/BG's/Arena/World PVP) Has a buff that stacks that increases the Damage of their abilities. However if they self heal directly the buff resets to 0 and has an internal cooldown and they have to start again.

Let me explain.

Now lets say it stacks to 10 you have to kill 10 mobs and as long as you're only killing mobs the buff stays. But if you use either any direct heal that isn't passive the buff is wiped and reset to 0 thus making it impossible to pull too many mobs and kill them safely.

Lets face it Healers don't get much in the way of DPS and for good reason - we're healers that's what we signed up for, asking for on par DPS with classes that are pure DPS will just result in a lot of anger.

But there are probably a lot of people like me who play their healers as main classes and don't like their class DPS style - I have never been a fan of shadow I don't like dot management.

All healers know their classes come with a DPS spec its just most of the time we healers don't like that DPS spec or we hate changing specs every time we either do dailies run dungeons, raid or pvp.

This buff solves that problem without effecting other classes DPS or forcing a healer to DPS at certain times. With the added bonus if they pull more then they can chew then they have to choose between dpsing at max strength till their dead or self healing and loosing the DPS buff and taking a while to rebuild up the buff.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Why is this needed? It's an unnecessary waste of development time when every class that can heal has a DPS spec that can do any dailies or other world PvE content without a problem. 3 of the 5 healing classes can even do it without changing their gear.
Reply Quote
01/04/2013 05:54 PMPosted by Tiberria
Why is this needed? It's an unnecessary waste of development time when every class that can heal has a DPS spec that can do any dailies or other world PvE content without a problem. 3 of the 5 healing classes can even do it without changing their gear.

I agree. It really isn't necessary, dual specs are there for a reason.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Dual spec does exist for a reason. What if a person has two healing specs, though? Or a healing and tanking spec?

I'm going to go ahead and assume the answer is going to be: they can just respec one of those specs, to which I'll reply, sure, they can. They've always been able to do that. Some players simply do not want to do that, or enjoy playing dps specs (this is most relevant to Priests, Paladins and Monks, whose available dps specs are quite different from the playstyle they'd employ as a solo healer).

Enough players have asked for increased solo-viability at this point that it should be on Blizzard's radar. What you consider a waste of development time these players consider time well spent.

Note: Mostly playing devil's advocate. I'm not really for or against this specific idea. It's an interesting concept, one not entirely new to the game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/04/2013 06:38 PMPosted by Elethia
What if a person has two healing specs, though? Or a healing and tanking spec?

Then they limited themselves. The game world environment is balanced for the greatest common denominator. Every class has a dps spec. Thus the world is designed around the average dps spec damage output and survivability.

You don't need to have a dps spec. You just have to accept that not having one is sub-optimal in world play.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
01/04/2013 06:48 PMPosted by Mitimem
What if a person has two healing specs, though? Or a healing and tanking spec?

Then they limited themselves. The game world environment is balanced for the greatest common denominator. Every class has a dps spec. Thus the world is designed around the average dps spec damage output and survivability.

You don't need to have a dps spec. You just have to accept that not having one is sub-optimal in world play.

This gets over needing to "balance" anything - it's a buff to healer who are doing their dailies while queuing for LFR/LFD or burning time before their raid.
Again instead of having to learn a new spec or even change their spec they could have a grind ability from a buff that will not effect the rest of the game.
Get into pvp - Buff goes
Get into LFD/LFR - Buff goes
Pull too many mobs trying to be greedy and have to heal - Buff goes.

And for those asking why not change shadow?
I hate shadow, don't enjoy it - it's particular dps style is so much dot management or faffing about I actually just use my Disc spec and take 5 times longer to do anything unless I am grouped up for dailies.

Now if the game had actually freed us from our mains like it was supposed to and not lock us in even more with rep grinding then I would have just done what I intended which was Dps on Hunter - Tank on Druid or Pally and Heal on my priest.
But alas for the 4th expansion in a row I am locked to my priest and there are others that feel this way too I am sure.
Reply Quote
Disc priests / holy priests do A lot of dps, as another note : holy priests do somewhat comparable dps compared to actual dps specs on the lower end of the spectrum.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
01/04/2013 06:48 PMPosted by Mitimem
Then they limited themselves.

Didn't we have this thread already? A limit imposed by the game is not self limiting. It's being limited by an outside constraint.

Advertising a class as being able to fill all 3 roles and then saying "Pick 2. No, not those two." is a bait and switch.

My modest proposal would be even more modest: an ability that increases your damage dealt by X% and reduces your healing done by Y%, lasts until canceled. Numbers would have to be tuned so it was a net loss for eminence/atonement healing.

Tanks could get one that increases their damage dealt by X% and increases their damage taken by Y%. Even if Y > X it could still be useful in some situations.

Of course they couldn't be used in organized PvP (if they can't think of a way to block it from world PvP, whatever, it's a balance trainwreck anyway) and should probably auto-wear off when you enter any group or raid instance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

My guild requires me to carry dual healing specs. So...I guess I'm limiting myself, right? :)

Also playing devil's advocate.
Reply Quote

My guild requires me to carry dual healing specs. So...I guess I'm limiting myself, right? :)

Luckily, you're a Priest and when can do pretty nice damage while soloing in Holy with Chakra: Chastise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/04/2013 08:43 PMPosted by Flintte
Luckily, you're a Priest and when can do pretty nice damage while soloing in Holy with Chakra: Chastise.

I honestly can't bring myself to do dailies as Holy, even though I probably should. >.> I do them as Disc, and use my Mindbender to help with DPS. :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Basically if I was on my Hunter - dailies would be a minor distraction over quickly. On my priest it's just Draining making me want to play even less.

I honestly can not see why anyone would have a problem with this - it doesn't take away from DPS specs, you're still only going to kill the same mobs just faster.
It doesn't upset raids because it doesn't carry into raids or dungeons.

It's just a buff to damage while you are doing damage questing which wipes away if you start healing or go into a role where you are meant to be dedicated.
And yes I would take a drop in passive healing from the dps too just to do more damage so that it's still "fair"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Yeah, but questing as Shadow can be ridiculously easy at level 90. Hell, I play my priest almost exactly the way I play my warlock. Run around, dot up about 3-5 mobs, dps them all down while healing myself up with DP (Life Harvest, in my warlocks case).

Its....FUN, imo.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yeah, but questing as Shadow can be ridiculously easy at level 90. Hell, I play my priest almost exactly the way I play my warlock. Run around, dot up about 3-5 mobs, dps them all down while healing myself up with DP (Life Harvest, in my warlocks case).

Its....FUN, imo.

Yes it might be "easy" or "fun" for you but that's the thing I'm not you and while your opinion is valid it's not exclusive.
Shadow isn't fun for me or I would play it - I actually hate shadow as much as I hate playing warlocks or mages.
Hunter's I like - I like tanking on my Pally but not being Ret. My Druid is great as a bear ok as a kitty but the other 2 specs I can't stand.

As I said talk to the healers who don't come to the forums and you might see they like this idea and some might not. I just feel that it's a nice passive buff to damage with no forseeable downside.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
[quote]

As I said talk to the healers who don't come to the forums and you might see they like this idea and some might not. I just feel that it's a nice passive buff to damage with no forseeable downside.

not like it would have any effect on pvp balance having healers do dps level dmg or anything....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
[quote]

not like it would have any effect on pvp balance having healers do dps level dmg or anything....

Great reading skills there chump
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest

Pretty much this. I carry dual healing specs for my guild. Many people carry x spec/y spec over x/z or y/z precisely because their guild/team needs them to fill a specific two roles.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Rather than try to shoe-horn healers into being able to play like a DPS class, why not instead create more content that healers can actually heal?

I have a Boomkin spec that I pretty much only use for Dailies. I *hate* boomkin spec and it is never something i've had any desire to play whatsoever. I die a bit inside every time I change specs.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
01/05/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Gotnorice
Rather than try to shoe-horn healers into being able to play like a DPS class, why not instead create more content that healers can actually heal?

This is a good alternative as well, and one that's been suggested a few times—once, I believe, by Kaels.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/04/2013 06:38 PMPosted by Elethia
Dual spec does exist for a reason. What if a person has two healing specs, though? Or a healing and tanking spec?

That's not a reason to argue for a huge game mechanic change though. That's a reason to argue for tri or quad-specs, which I agree with and desperately want implemented in the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]