Enjoy!

90 Worgen Druid
i don't know who john seely brown is and i'm not endorsing this in any way. just posting...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/3/3831408/world-of-warcraft-players-are-the-ideal-employee-says-john-seely-brown
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I think he's nuts. Or he's just now posting the results of a study he was doing back when guilds were more than insta-perk machines.

It would be fair to say certain players in some guilds would make excellent employees, but then you could say the same of people participating in any group activity that is essentially organized by the group. Saying that it's true of "high level" WoW players in general is nonsense.

Kerrath has told me stories about things going on in his old guild of "high level" players. The last thing I'd want to do is work with them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Kerrath has told me stories about things going on in his old guild of "high level" players. The last thing I'd want to do is work with them.

kerrath is this true???? i hope youre not talking about SB (*~rip~*) because im pretty sure we were nothing but good samaritans to this server.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I saw this a while back, and here's my commentary:

I feel that the guy saying this has only a minimal level of understanding of how World of Warcraft progression works. Some of the things he says are only mildly true.

The level of dedication and ingenuity he's referring to really only happen to guilds that put in the time and effort of a truly hardcore guild. You see a lot of it in top 20 US. You see a substantial amount in top 100 US. But as you drip down to top 200 US, you start losing ground and before you know it, you reach a point where the best strategies are already very well-established and while there is some level of competition remaining, it's simply not the same.

The average World of Warcraft player does not engage in the kind of behavior he's referring to.

But to a small degree, he does have a point. If you are in, say, the top 200 or so, then yes--I can confirm that there is a certain behavior you will find where all players have an immense level of drive and perseverance. I remember that before Casual Scum started to have to replace players in October, while we were still rushing into MSV, our guild had only a minimal level of leadership because every player involved had a level head and every player fundamentally knew what had to be done.

If your guild has issues where people argue for more than 30 seconds over a loot dispute, or where someone is late without warning, or where someone does not show up at all at random, or something like that--then you are playing with people who do not have the level of dedication that makes you a passionate player who is concerned with progression.

From my experience, in a serious hardcore guild with real top-end progression, personal disputes, disagreements, and arguments are essentially universally seen as petty when compared to the goal of killing the boss that you are working on. And that's the attitude that I think that Brown is referring to.

01/07/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Joynal

I don't know what you're referring to, unless it's the mild teasing?

At worst that's a form of hazing. It was never really malicious. It was more a semi-violent form of male bonding and nothing else. If we had someone who clearly wasn't skilled enough to fit in, they were usually simply removed quickly.

01/07/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Noxnzee
kerrath is this true???? i hope youre not talking about SB (*~rip~*) because im pretty sure we were nothing but good samaritans to this server.

dont know what joynal's talking about.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]