PVP at 25.

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just wanted to share some experiences I've had and fights I've ran into.

Pet battles have gotten a lot more sophisticated from the beginning days. Where when it first began everyone just used most damaging attack as soon as possible, now there is strategy. Reflect changes certainly made it a lot more tactical where just having big hitters doesn't auto win, although still is an advantage.

Players these days swap pets, change up their moves, combine moves for extra damage or for mitigation. It has gotten a lot more interesting now. Most players try to play different random pets to make it interesting, so don't be afraid to do so as well. You are not going to run into elite teams all the time.

Having said that there are some very strong, and cheesy teams out there. Multiple speed FFF's or multiple speed basilisks are super cheesy and cheap. First one doesn't really have good counters short of them screwing up and throwing all their 1800+ hits against your magical pets (reduced to roughly 400 due to magical racial). Second one is stupidly OP too in most scenarios.

Another strong team you'll run into once in a while is blizzard based. Usually snowman + kun lai runt. Unless you can change weather on them, preferably into arcane winds expect to get stunned a lot.

A good combination to try, has worked well for me (unless I get too many misses) is Curse of Doom amplified. Done right, will damage your opposition for roughly 1100 and heal you back for the amount. Undead do well right now since there are really no critters in the game... they all suck.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
My main team is a back row hitter. Utilizing Nordrassil Wisp, Chrominius, and purple puffer. My wisp can blind and do some damage or force a switch while utilizing arcane blast to hit backrow. Chrominius can use maul and heal himself, as well as use arcane blast and its a + if his racial kicks in. Then my puffer can finish of the team with surge or heal or use a pump if need be. Just be creative with your teams and you'll have a blast :3. Never know what may work or new things you'll see while making a new team yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
One Silver Dragonhawk on a team is enough to take care of 3 FFF if played properly.

Curse of Doom + Siphon life is a bug. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
One Silver Dragonhawk on a team is enough to take care of 3 FFF if played properly.

You don't need siphon life. COD heals you if your target is killed by COD. It won't heal though if it just does damage and target is alive.

Feel free to test.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
You don't need siphon life. COD heals you if your target is killed by COD

nope.

I use CoD with crawling claw 24/7, never had it heailng me once.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Triple conflag teams are also cheap and used very often, you forgot about those.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
01/08/2013 06:37 AMPosted by Tangla
You don't need siphon life. COD heals you if your target is killed by COD

nope.

I use CoD with crawling claw 24/7, never had it heailng me once.

You probably didn't do it right, or maybe the claw pet is bugged, I don't have that pet. COD must kill your opponent to heal you (if they resurrect such as undead or mech it doesn't trigger, same if it just hits hard but won't kill them. Important it is COD that has to do the killing blow, if killing blow is off another spell even on same turn, it won't trigger.)

I know this, because that's how I use it all the time without siphon life. I simply don't have turns to waste casting SL if I want it to work. SL is mainly for when people pull out anubisath idol, popular pet on my realm.

Cast COD on your target, put in 2-3 hits or so (to make sure amped COD will take out your target upon turn 5), swap in a pet that can increase damage and amplify. Works well against tank type pets. Obviously not good against pets like FFF since you'll be dead in 3 turns before COD has a chance to go off.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock

Listen to this goblin, he knows.

And conflags may be somewhat annoying but a good aquatic is a fast and simple counter if a person is running elementals alongside a dragonhawk. Until mechanical pets stop dominating the meta-game I'm willing to do whatever it takes to slog through it.

And also I ran a crawling claw with CoD a few times and I never had it restore life. But that was a couple of weeks ago.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
01/08/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Alona
a good aquatic is a fast and simple counter if a person is running elementals alongside a dragonhawk.

Just make sure your not putting the aquatic out when the the dragonhawk is out. He'll eat a faceful of quills otherwise.
Edited by Surrender on 1/8/2013 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Also, I just went and tried it. Amp Magic + CoD does nothing when killing them. CoD + Siphon Life = getting the CoD's damage amount as the siphon life heal.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Druid
I'm just glad I'm not seeing full teams of blizzard store pets anymore. Rag + Monk + Moonkin was enough to make me throw in the towel on PvP. The strategical fights against a wide variety of teams are so much more fun and rewarding on a learning level than when people just use the same old strong hitting store bought pets that were clearly made to hit hard so they'd sell. Obviously now I'm wiser than back then and could probably easily counter a store team, but I still don't like fighting them. Boring!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
You probably didn't do it right, or maybe the claw pet is bugged, I don't have that pet. COD must kill your opponent to heal you (if they resurrect such as undead or mech it doesn't trigger, same if it just hits hard but won't kill them. Important it is COD that has to do the killing blow, if killing blow is off another spell even on same turn, it won't trigger.)

I LITERALLY use crawling claw EVERYDAY.

NEVER seen it healing me once when it kills ever-so-common kun-lai or flayer in pvp.

Just to make sure, I went out to kill a wild pet with CoD. No heal.

you NEED to have life siphon to get the CoD kill heal.

http://s2.postimage.org/8secejdq1/cod_no_heal.jpg

image of killing something witih CoD WITHOUT siphon

http://s8.postimage.org/ptivwvddx/siphon_heal.jpg

image of killing something with CoD WITH siphon.

as you can see, it is SIPHON OF LIFE that heals you for the damge you dealt with CoD not CoD healing you.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I'm just glad I'm not seeing full teams of blizzard store pets anymore. Rag + Monk + Moonkin was enough to make me throw in the towel on PvP. The strategical fights against a wide variety of teams are so much more fun and rewarding on a learning level than when people just use the same old strong hitting store bought pets that were clearly made to hit hard so they'd sell. Obviously now I'm wiser than back then and could probably easily counter a store team, but I still don't like fighting them. Boring!

Really? Moonkin problematic? I would gladly rather see that team than triple conflag or triple FFF.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Also, because I thought it was relevant.......

http://imgur.com/j0goX

Stacking Damage Buffs is a bad idea Blizzard.....
Edited by Surrender on 1/8/2013 9:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I'll put up some COD healing screens tonight, I do it on my LilKT when I play him.

Should just start doing what Surrender does, and go triple FFF, the more we use it the faster blizzard will address it.
Edited by Kenpo on 1/8/2013 9:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'll put up some COD healing screens tonight, I do it on my LilKT when I play him.

Should just start doing what Surrender does, and go triple FFF, the more we use it the faster blizzard will address it.

I'm pretty sure blizz is aware of the fff bug. I don't think exploiting a bug will make them fix it any faster.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
just killed another one in pvp (wolvar pup) with CoD.

No heal was received.
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Druid

although i have not PVPd, i'm leveling pets based on friends who do and their advice.

was told the same thing about a Silver Dragonhawk with 9/13 starting stats. at 25 and with a blue stone it has 244/358. this pet will destroy FFF's. many players overlook vendor pets because they are green.

a pair of sprite darter hatchlings/nether faire dragons bust up crawling claw anchored teams from what i have been told
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
01/08/2013 12:22 PMPosted by Trixu
a pair of sprite darter hatchlings/nether faire dragons bust up crawling claw anchored teams from what i have been told

that really would depend on how your evanescene is used / how crawling claw used his CoD.

Because both nether fairy dragon and darter hatchling takes multiple turns to maximize their damage, Death Grip's force swap pretty much prevents them from inflicting major amount of damage while dot is rotting their fragile hp.

personally, I find Crabs with shell shield(especially that bloody lobster with bloody wish) as the 'hard counter' against crawling claw as their shell shield, aquatic racial on DoT spells, aquatic typing against undead damage negates large amount of the incoming damage.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
01/08/2013 12:53 PMPosted by Tangla
Because both nether fairy dragon and darter hatchling takes multiple turns to maximize their damage, Death Grip's force swap pretty much prevents them from inflicting major amount of damage while dot is rotting their fragile hp.

Or simply switch out whenever they use their evanescence and reset their Arcane Explosion damage back to base damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]