Healers and dps pets

88 Draenei Paladin
As a healer am I required to heal hunters and warlock pets or is that something we as healers should do as an act of generosity... I've stopped healing a few dps's pets because they start taking too much damage and i wanted to know is it my job to keep them alive as well?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Not really. A good hunter will control their pet to avoid them taking too much damage (not using Growl, for example), as will a warlock. Hunters can heal their pets as well, and should be paying attention to their health bars.

That said, if I have plenty of mana, and the pets are generally not pulling threat off tanks, I will toss them a HoT. There have been times when I have had a terrible tank, and it was easier to let the tank die and keep the pet alive!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Hunters and Warlocks have very good spells to heal their pets. They should use them.

A pet will only take huge amounts of damage when it pulls threat. Let it die so it stops interfering with the tank.
Reply Quote
It's not your job to keep their pet alive. For one, a well-controlled pet doesn't take that much damage. For two, hunters, locks, and DKs have ways to heal their own pets. For three, a pet death rarely leads to a wipe, but a player's death might.

If the pet is making the run easier, heal it. I've completed level 40 dungeons with a pet tanking.

If the pet is making the run harder, don't heal it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Hunters and Warlocks have very good spells to heal their pets. They should use them.

A pet will only take huge amounts of damage when it pulls threat. Let it die so it stops interfering with the tank.

Not always; pets are supposed to not be hit by a lot of abilities (or take significantly reduced damage), but for whatever reason a few slip through the net.

Generally speaking AoE healing and whatever the pet owner can do is enough though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
If they are using them correctly, I heal them. Pets = Increase in DPS = Faster Instance Run. Making the DPS stop to heal just slows things down. They are just another party member burning down mobs, typically they do not die on my watch.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
If they're getting hit that hard, it probably means they have taunt on. And if they have taunt on, always let them die because they're stealing vengeance from the tank and doing more harm than good. Otherwise, heal them, but I don't see how they'd be taking damage without taunting.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
ONE

Not always; pets are supposed to not be hit by a lot of abilities (or take significantly reduced damage), but for whatever reason a few slip through the net.

Generally speaking AoE healing and whatever the pet owner can do is enough though.

Yep. Stonecore was always annoying leading up to Corborus because those whirlwinds + bleeds wrecked pets. Those kinda situations leave me thankful when a healer does heal my pet, but I'm always prepared to pull it back and heal it myself if need be.

A pet is 30-50% of a Hunter's DPS, so if you don't want to spend all day in a place healing them on those packs is generally worth it (as long as the tank/melee aren't getting wrecked as well), assuming its not a mouth breathing imbecile doing 10k at level 90...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pets are there to pad your meters. If you don't care about that, let them die. If they're dying in typical five man content, they're doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I don't display pet health bars at all. If a tank dies, I'm quick to assist off an enemy to see if I need to heal a pet in their stead, but otherwise pets don't get any of my attention whatsoever.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I never heal a pet that shouldn't have threat. If they can't turn off the taunt ability, then they deserve to have to rez it every pull.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I don't heal pets because I don't even see them on my raid frames. However sometimes heals with Wild Growth go on pets to smart heal them, that's about the only time they get my heals.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Pets shouldn't take much damage unless the hunter/warlock is doing something wrong with them. Those classes should be more than capable of keeping their pet alive. Now if only my "smart" heals stopped healing the pets...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hunters and warlock both have instant pet summon after death, so why bother?

It's not a global that will nerf their dps that bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Only in certain specific situations will I ever focus on healing pets, such as when we had to have hunter pets do adds on phase 1 Nefarian.

Outside of that, I don't even have them in my raid frames. The only healing they ever get from me is when they eat up some of my smart heals, and even then it just annoys me that it healed them and not an actual raid member. (Hate it when my PoM gets stuck on a hunter pet)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
No, I heal my hunter pet and heals go to the people that need it. Hunter's are able to heal their own pets pretty good.

Only occasion is if the tank dies and pet takes agro that it would be nice to have help healing my pet to keep it alive.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
If a reasonably well-behaved pet suddenly starts taking large amounts of damage, it may be a good idea to throw some heals at it if you have the time and mana. There are a few AoEs that don't seem to be affected by pet damage reduction. And smart DPS will occasionally use their pets to offtank on a bad pull or to take over when the tank dies.

But the only time a pet should be a priority is when the tank is dead and a hunter pet is tanking. Heals in that situation can prevent a wipe. In most other situations, heals will only serve to possibly slightly increase your group's DPS, which is of course not a bad thing but it's not worth a whole lot of your mana and time.

01/13/2013 01:35 AMPosted by Barbo
he only healing they ever get from me is when they eat up some of my smart heals, and even then it just annoys me that it healed them and not an actual raid member. (Hate it when my PoM gets stuck on a hunter pet)

Actually, they also get PoH every time you cast it on the hunter's group.

Best thing is that (unlike other healers' spammable AoEs) we actually don't lose any healing on players when PoH heals pets.
Edited by Kaels on 1/13/2013 4:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
If you need the pet alive, you heal the pet. If you don't, you don't.

Don't make healing targets into a moral issue. It's all about what needs to be done to beat the content - any other consideration is meaningless.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]