Shaman or Paladin Healing

90 Pandaren Shaman
So I my paladin dinged 90 and my shaman is sliver away. Due my time constraints I think I will only have time to gear one healer for heroics/lfr and maybe some non-hardcore raiding.

I'm trying to decide which one since both are in the same level of gear and I don't prefer one over another so I thought I'd ask around a bit which one is more 'desired'/useful.

I assume paladins are more often tank healers and shamans do raid healing? Are there any good guides how to heal raids as each? (since I haven't really raided anything since BC:)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Both come with strengths. I think the shaman tool box is a little stricter in terms of positional requirements, but at the same time, when those requirements are met, their tools are super potent.

IMO, paladins and shaman have a functionally similar play style. You need to know how and when to utilize your cooldowns/totems, and both classes have Mastery that contributes to performance if you're mindful of it.

Both bring things raids need, but I tend to see paladins as essential to most raid compositions. This speaking from a mostly 10 man heavy progression perspective. Either way, in this case, rolling with whichever "feels" right is probably the way to go.

Gearing note: In most ten man groups, holy paladins have no one to compete with for main gear drops (spirit plate). Resto shaman occasionally have to compete with Ele shaman. Not a huge deal, but worth noting. Also of note, Conq token classes are popular so you end up competing there (Conq has three heal specs and a tank spec to cover, and warlocks which are pretty popular as a dps class).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
If you're after raw output and max statistical raid contribution, Paladins blow shamans out of the water. However, any class can handle the current content. Like EVERYONE will tell you, play the class you find the most fun. This will be different for every player.

I have a healer of each type and while shaman are weaker, I love the play style. I'm sticking to my shaman and hoping tier 15 balances the classes out better.

For class guides, try these out... There are others out there you can google, but these are simple;

Resto Shaman: http://icy-veins.com/restoration-shaman-wow-pve-healing-guide

Holy Paladin: http://icy-veins.com/holy-paladin-wow-pve-healing-guide
Edited by Stormfist on 1/11/2013 10:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 08:03 AMPosted by Aani
Both bring things raids need, but I tend to see paladins as essential to most raid compositions. This speaking from a mostly 10 man heavy progression perspective. Either way, in this case, rolling with whichever "feels" right is probably the way to go.

From what I've seen, a functional raid comp has to have at least 1 paladin/disc/shaman to be effective(in 10 man). Holy/rdruid/mistweaver is nowhere near as useful in 10 mans, and often end up being the third healers for those fights that need it.

Essentially, OP, roll what you enjoy. Either of your choices are viable and well represented. Just don't choose a class that isn't FotM if you want a permanent raid spot in a heroic progression guild. Although if you aren't raiding heroic mode progression, i'm sure it doesn't matter. A guild will just be happy to have a healer.

Now, in terms of streamlining, I'd have to say paladin is the better choice. Easy to learn, yet with a relatively high skill cap for those who like a challenge. The cooldowns of the class are more to help out in emergencies as opposed to a shaman, who has to use a lot of theirs rotationally to be competitive. Add to that a shield mechanic that often requires little thought and the ability to still put out competitive numbers without the raid being low on health and you have a well rounded healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/12/2013 06:12 AMPosted by Keirisonis
From what I've seen, a functional raid comp has to have at least 1 paladin/disc/shaman to be effective(in 10 man). Holy/rdruid/mistweaver is nowhere near as useful in 10 mans, and often end up being the third healers for those fights that need it.

I agree with this. Both Shaman and Paladin have their strengths and weaknesses. However, together they are almost perfect. You put Shaman, Paladin and Disc Priest in one raid, you have Trinity Perfection.

Paladin & Disc Priest are good at keeping raid's health stable. However, when your raid goofed and the health went down to a sliver, there is nobody like a mastery stacked resto shaman. I have seen our Resto Shaman peaked at 550k healing per second when push comes to shove.
Edited by Rasul on 1/12/2013 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Paladin & Disc Priest are good at keeping raid's health stable. However, when your raid goofed and the health went down to a sliver, there is nobody like a mastery stacked resto shaman. I have seen our Resto Shaman peaked at 550k healing per second when push comes to shove.

Off topic but... I convinced my cohealer to level her paladin by telling her she'd be able to heal for more with me around. It worked. I'm so evil. But ya know what, I want someone to baby sit the tanks while i dps/meter!@#$%. Stupid healing rain trying to do my job. The dps don't want to get wet. >.>

And if i sit her on the tanks on her shaman, i still end up having to push out some emergency gheals on them when her Ghealing wave doesn't crit. Doubt we'll have that issue nearly as much if she paladins.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Another excellent shaman resource is http://lifeingroup5.com/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I find it interesting that hpriest/rdruid/mw monks are thought to be the least necessary healers when Blizzard and GC, specifically, keep saying those healers are "fine". And no, I don't disagree that pally/disc/shaman are crucial to have right now. However, keep in mind that things change from patch to patch...consider in early 5.0, monks were damn near required and disc was a joke. If things remain the same as they are now for the rest of the expansion, I'd eat this lovely hat of mine.

That being said, I've now healed on everything but disc, so I would say allthings being equal, go pally. If it came down to just playing what you like, that goes without saying, but you wouldn't have asked the question just to hear that.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This is my paladin..I dinged 90 on my shaman too and healed some Heroics to see which one I prefer. To me I had to work double hard on the shaman (of course it could have been the tank or the new 90 heroic that I had never done).

Of course I also tried my priest..and I have been leveling a monk too (which I actually like too)...maybe I just end up with 4 healers;)
Reply Quote
80 Troll Mage

Can someone clarify the difference between these two? Isn't Holy the only healing spec available to Paladins? (Or is he referring to the tank spec?)
Edited by Vocalyze on 1/15/2013 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/15/2013 10:07 PMPosted by Vocalyze
Can someone clarify the difference between these two? Isn't Holy the only healing spec available to Paladins? (Or is he referring to the tank spec?)

The reference is (I am assuming) to Holy priests.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]