Ultra settings requirements

90 Pandaren Monk
I know this question probably gets asked a lot, but what are the requirements to run WoW at maxed out ultra settings. I currently have a base model Dell Inspiron 570 desktop. I am able to play smoothly on fair settings, but want something more powerful . I am shopping around and looking at the new Alienware X51 desktops. They are smaller and cheaper than the original Aurora models, but still seem to pack a punch graphics wise. This is the system I built on their website and was curious if this configuration will let me run WoW on ultra.

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3330 (6M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
MEMORY 8GB (2 X 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz
HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 3Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5

Note: I know WoW isn't a graphics heavy game, and I'm not looking to play other games that are like BF3 or anything, so I don't need a TOP of the line system or anything. Just enough fow WoW.

Any input is always greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
Kenshosan -

You might have more luck with this thread in the Games, Gaming, and Hardware subsection of the forums.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/

You should probably be able to run WoW on ultra with those components, though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It's pretty low actually, I bought my PC from Best Buy for 500 bucks, upgraded the video card and bumped up the RAM a bit and I can run everything on the highest settings and still get 60 FPS.

Well, except for when I do Sha that is....
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Unless you're gonna watch bluray movies, a bluray player isn't needed for anything. Heck, often an optical drive of any kind isn't needed anymore.

But you certainly can save some money by just going with a standard CD/DVD reader/burner.

With an Alienware, you'll probably pay a premium. I custom configured my PC, an HP, on their website. I'd suggest checking it out.

A smaller PC isn't necessarily a good thing. Strong gaming grade graphics cards are still large, and you want a case that can house them, especially if you want to upgrade in the future.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Warrior
I also want to run WoW on ultra, but I can't determine my weak point.
Radeon 5750 1GB GDDR3 650 mhz
AMD Phenom X2 64 bit 3.2 Callisto Black Edition 955
8Gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Alienware is overpriced and overrated.. Avoid it. Op WoW needs a fast CPU and a decent graphics card. The 660 with just 1.5gb might be a bit light to run WoW on Ultra in some situations ie high pop Bgs and 25 man raids come to mind.

Your right WoW is not a graphics heavy game, but with the addition of MoP and some of the changes that Blizz has made the graphics requirement has increased. I know many players who before MoP were able to play WoW on Medium to high settings with low end cards that now can not play WoW on anything but low settings without getting a serious Drop in FPS.

It is better to buy a card that is more than you need then to buy one that is bare minimum, because if you do the later, the next patch or major upgrade may force you to play a lower than optimal settings or upgrage again

The Radeon HD 7870 OC edition from gigabyte at 240$ is a mid price card that should be something you should consider and is not overly high priced. if you want something a little cheaper the Radeon HD 7850 from Sapphire at 190 is also good both cards out benchmark the GTX 660
Edited by Ssinfull on 1/19/2013 8:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Warrior
So my weak point is probably my video card since my Proc seems to have enough power behind it if I am interpreting your answer to Kenshosan?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
I want to get a PC from best buy which has a sweet case design,

- AMD FX-Series 3.6GHz processor
- 8 GB of DDR3 RAM
is that enough to run WoW on ultra?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
not true. i have an alienware laptop. i can run wow on ultra setting with more than 150 fps. how much did i pay. around 1200$ but i can play pretty much any game i want on the highest settings.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Alienware is a rip-off. The real deal is in building your own PC. A lot less costly and you get more bang for your buck. And building a PC is simple these days so long as you aren't a complete idiot.
Reply Quote
I also want to run WoW on ultra, but I can't determine my weak point.
Radeon 5750 1GB GDDR3 650 mhz
AMD Phenom X2 64 bit 3.2 Callisto Black Edition 955
8Gb RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Your processor.

Even with a beast computer your going to be hard pressed to get ultra in raid settings, but just out in the world it doesnt take much.

One thing that will be a big help is getting a SSD.
Edited by Teek on 11/17/2013 11:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
Since I haven't seen it mentioned, the April video card guide by Anandtech might be useful for questions like this...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7981/best-video-cards-april-2014

A lot depends on the resolution of your monitor or monitors if you are running multi-mon. This doesn't specifically mention WoW, but might be a good basis to start from.

I got one of the new WQHD monitors (2560x1440) and I'm finding the fans on my old GTX 570s in SLI are screaming to keep up with it on even the high video settings in WoW. It's still not terribly laggy, just hot & noisy.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
soooo what are system requirments needed for ultra? im sure i dont have to spend alot of money like a couple hundred at most right?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
I have no idea but...

I have a laptop with a 970m and it plays ultra at 120+ frames without breaking a sweat and zero heat issues. Literally a joke at how much more power my comp has than I even need and when I bought it I was just hoping it would be able to handle ultra at all let alone 60 frames
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Trolling for attention are we?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]