Voidbinders Taking a Break in 5.2

(Locked)

90 Troll Druid
I think this is a great idea, but i really like item upgrade.. why not make a 3rd resources specific to item upgrade? Something you could build up doing absolutely anything... such as dailies, dungeons, gathering and crafting professions.

Should also disable or make conquest-based item upgrades for pvp, no way im spending a single upgrade in pvp yet id love to do both at the maximum of my potential.
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/14/2013 10:33 AMPosted by Ibatatas

So what you're saying is- the rep grind is required?

How else will they gate the content to artificially extend the tier?

Hit the nail on the head right there Ibatatas.
90 Human Monk
Why not Keep the NPC and just not add it to new gear? and take the feature off on specific items above a certain item level?
90 Human Mage
So whta do we spend out mighty 3,000 VP on?
60 Night Elf Druid
I suggest instead keeping them there but disabling their upgrade functionality, with some gossip text to say it will come back later. That way people can expect that they'll return rather than be surprised weeks into 5.3 when they go to transmog something and realize "oh hey, that guy is back!"
90 Night Elf Warrior
I have a few concerns regarding these changes:

1) BOA/Dungeon gear - With few sinks for JP, I find that upgrading the available BOA gear (Spear of Xuen, Umbrella, Inscription staves) are great investments for the JP/VP due to the item flexibility and great starting value. Admittedly a small impact, but these items can be great for getting alts and newer characters eligible for LFRs, and the upgrades further help accomplish that goal. Dungeon gear is also a strong choice as certain pieces (especially trinkets) are great upgrades and can last you until you get the LFR trinkets. Not to mention that it would stink to lose out on the upgrade strictly due to a timing issue.

2) JP use in 5.2 - Will JP be used for current 5.0/5.1 VP gear? I would imagine that Blizz does not intend to use this approach as this could interfere with the dungeon -> 5.0 LFR -> 5.2 LFR progression model.

3) Valor reset in 5.2 - Is there a valor reset planned for 5.2? If so, this may encourage people to burn VP prior to the change on gear/upgrades (particularly on any worthwhile upgrades as those will go away). If not, people will most likely hoard for the new gear.

I just want an idea on how to best utilize my JP/VP before the next patch hits, as these changes do impact me and need to be properly planned for.
90 Gnome Rogue
I dont like the idea of removing them, but I understand why your doing it.
90 Tauren Shaman
Dang, I just discovered the upgrade vendor the other day, and I had already converted my 4000 JP to honor last week. I wish I would have spent it on PvE upgrades before they disappear. Oh well, at least I got honor out of it.
90 Tauren Shaman
01/14/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Averyhh
Why not Keep the NPC and just not add it to new gear? and take the feature off on specific items above a certain item level?

This actually a lot more sense than removing the vendors. Just don't have an upgrade option on the gear until 5.3, but keep the vendors so I can upgrade my alts gear.
90 Tauren Shaman
01/14/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Averyhh

This actually a lot more sense than removing the vendors. Just don't have an upgrade option on the gear until 5.3, but keep the vendors so I can upgrade my alts gear.
90 Draenei Shaman
What will Raiders be able to spend VP on between the point where valor gear is no longer an upgrade & 5.3? You're assuming that we'll be buying between 4 & 8 items and have almost exhausted our point supply when 5.2 hits.

I prefer the choices I have to make between upgrading & buying items, and which ones to buy/upgrade verses the "I have to spend VP to avoid getting capped" game. It also means that new players, or alts, can't upgrade their blue items with Justice Points if they want to, which again turns into a game of spending vs cap.

In the end, it comes down to this: When there's no choice to make, there's no wrong choice, but there's no right choice either.
90 Night Elf Druid
The Justice Point aspect likely should stay put, no extensive new gear is coming out that is blue quality and that line up of upgrades is pretty much set for most. Being able to use excess JP on blue quality pieces here and there to edge up player power and ilvl would be fine.

On raiding gear and epics, I'm OK with only upgrading post raid releases during interim patches, but it is a bit... jarring to be on and off.

PvP gear should either be permanently on or off throughout as seasons progress through raid levels and interim patches.

Also...

01/14/2013 02:57 PMPosted by Dionys
How else will they gate the content to artificially extend the tier?

Stop being silly, EVERYTHING is gated in some form or fashion. This is a tired complaint.
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/14/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
With a new raid tier coming, we don’t want to create a trap where people are wondering what’s more lucrative: spend currency on new items, or on the new gear appearing on vendors? (Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.)

--Hint: Raids drop loot typically equal or greater than vendor gear. The more lucrative choice is upgrades.

I won't label this artificially extending content since this VP dump didn't exist before 5.1, but I'm not fond of a blue expressing an outright misleading if not deceptive opinion to manipulate players. Anything from a vendor you can get an equal or better version from the raid (no guarantees of dropping, but no guarantee of NOT dropping next week either). Upgrades on items where slots are difficult to upgrade, however, is something much more difficult to replace.

The game always needed a better VP dump than a few BOE purchases (usually weak gear slots at that). Is upgrades it? IMO no, I don't like having ANOTHER layer of minmaxing to do. I have no idea what can be done as a good VP dump, maybe just upping the # of BOE slots for a VP tier from 2 to 5ish would be approrpaite, and slots that DON'T overlap with crafted items.

Worst thing in the game is having a tier with crafted bracers, BOE vendor bracers, AND bracers dropping off bosses. Overflooding an item slot and it isn't even a good item slot. -_-

Edit: Flawless Pet Battle Stones also wouldn't hurt as a VP sink.
Edited by Seihai on 1/14/2013 3:46 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
01/14/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Dawnsky
To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break.

And for those people who don't raid or aren't even that far ahead? Guess we can take longer to upgrade now. I understand the intent but it seems to hit those who don't raid or who are gearing alts kinda in a bad way.

But if your not raiding then why do you need gear? Just to stand around and look pretty? I dunno gear is something I could care less about in game, if I get it great if not no big deal.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Please remember pvp is an aspect of a game and adjust the next seasons item levels accordingly.

It is hard enough to gear alts already. They shouldnt be outgeared harshly by people in the last seasons full upgraded stuff. Can we have a clean slate?

I realize the population of people with full upgraded gear is actually small, but this is why I am afraid that it will not be balanced.
90 Human Paladin
01/14/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Nathanbp
Great, please never bring them back. Being forced to cap valor every week forever is pretty terrible, I'd like to be able to have a life besides WoW. Or at least to be able to play an alt.

Hey, No one is forcing you to cap your valor everyweek. Its just you who feels the need to cap it every week to keep on par with other people who do cap it every week.
- Hearthstone
90 Tauren Paladin
That's actually a neat idea. Let people raid new stuff and just get gear, and during the non-raid patch, "currency sink" the top people with item upgrades. Back in Firelands and a good portion of DS where I was the closest to top raiding (even though I was still far off) I had some good excess JP and VP, but never really wanted to spend it. We have a metric butt-ton of gold sinks, why not Zoidb... currency sinks.
90 Pandaren Shaman
I am ok if we don't see the upgrade vendor come back in 5.3, I don't really dig so much praying I get a decent heroic drop frequently enough to keep from capping. Because, I dislike dumping VP into non-BiS for the sake of dumping VP.
90 Undead Warlock
Even Ethereals need a vacation, and the item upgraders (Voidbinders), are no exception. They’re saying they need to go home to take care of business arrangements, but … I’m not convinced. I think they’re just homesick for their ‘space mummy’ families.

Ok ok, fourth wall broken, we’re actually just temporarily removing them from the game for 5.2 due to the new raid tier. The idea with the item upgrade system is that it’s a way to spend currency on upgrading items when buying new items isn’t the clear path. Either you’ve bought everything, or at least most of them, and then spend currency to get that extra *oomph*. With a new raid tier coming, we don’t want to create a trap where people are wondering what’s more lucrative: spend currency on new items, or on the new gear appearing on vendors? (Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.) To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break.

Right now we’re planning for them to return in 5.3, which will not have a raid tier, and offer upgrades again as people will have likely have some currency to burn. We’re not sure yet if we’ll continue this cycle of having them take a break for raid patches and then come back in non-raid patches, but we’ll continue evaluating as we go, absorb feedback, and let you know how these plans evolve.

Here's a thought, from now on, why not make item upgrades the thing that requires rep, not the gear? Also make upgrades more meaningful. That way, having the best stats will still require the current rep grinds. Meanwhile, the players who refuse to do any dailies would just be stuck with the basic valor gear.

Doing this, not a whole lot would change. Those who refuse to rep grind will still be able to progress, just slower than those who do rep grind, just like now. Main difference would be you wouldn't have to keep taking out and putting in the upgrade NPC.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
That's great and all, but before they warp home .... could they leave some outfits for me to use for transmog? Those guys have some sick gear/looks!! :D
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]