Voidbinders Taking a Break in 5.2

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
Bottom line: Blizzard does not believe that the average WoW player is intelligent enough to decide on the smartest way to spend justice/valor when a new tier emerges.

Some individuals, who earn only a few points per week, may find themselves forced to save 2200+ points over their goal of 1500 for an upgrade. What this may mean to them is that they will not see a viable (vendor sourced, not dropped) upgrade for a couple of weeks or even a month.

I play many characters, I can't possibly keep up with the required hours to grind them all to max valor. Not all of them are even in LFR yet. Grinding heroics/scenarios/dailies, etc... takes a huge amount of time to accumulate any significant valor. Maybe I want those 476 boots from Sha (quest claw) half-way upgraded to get that last point to get into LFR, which will open that char up to upgrade potential in the weeks to come.. instead of saving to 2200+ valor for a fresh new shiny tier that I may not be able to afford for a month or so.
90 Draenei Warrior
How about making them unable to upgrade the current tier of gear but still be able to upgrade Justice points gear?
90 Draenei Priest
If the new raid gear is like starting at I don't know... 530 Ilvl. I take back this comment. However isn't this making it possible that the "best" items (hint: Sha touched weapons) will be upgraded heroic versions of items in the 5.0 tier and that if you weren't lucky enough to get them upgraded before 5.2 hits... Tough Luck?

This.
90 Draenei Priest
01/14/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Malebogia
This actually a lot more sense than removing the vendors. Just don't have an upgrade option on the gear until 5.3, but keep the vendors so I can upgrade my alts gear.

And this.
90 Human Mage
I have one concern. I have killed Lei Shi and Tsulong 15 times without a weapon drop (or in fact ANY drop from Lei Shi) yet I have the sha gem in my bag and the inscription staff on my back. It seems kind of wrong that other people will have an upgraded weapon and I will be potentially stuck with a 476 and a gem with no home.

So my question then becomes will weapons in 5.2 also have sha sockets? If so I can wait for one of those, though with my luck it won't be a short wait...
90 Blood Elf Priest
Void dudes are gone in 5.2. Any chance they can take CRZ with them??
90 Draenei Priest
01/14/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Caileron
So my question then becomes will weapons in 5.2 also have sha sockets? If so I can wait for one of those, though with my luck it won't be a short wait...

Could...we get an answer to this asap? If not, removing upgrades for 5.1 gear is VERY silly, since some people still haven't got their Sha-Touched weps, and may not before patch.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
JP and HP should stick around, it's only fair. The stuff they can upgrade isn't anywhere NEAR relevant to the current tier and can only assist those willing to bang their heads against the keyboard for more hours than you spend acquiring VPs. At 1500 JPs per upgrade, that's actually a lot of dungeon bosses.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So, where are we supposed to spend points we earn from doing heroics?
90 Night Elf Druid
01/14/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
With a new raid tier coming, we don’t want to create a trap where people are wondering what’s more lucrative: spend currency on new items, or on the new gear appearing on vendors? (Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.) To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break.

REally? You're actually saying "Hey, you people are too stupid to figure out how to spend points so we're going to make the choice for you so you can't do the 'wrong' thing."

How insulting. Do you really think someone's going to mosey up to the upgrade vendor and accidentally spend valor? That they're not going to realize that new gear might be better? And... if they do, so what? Maybe they mean to (see my post earlier for why) or maybe they make a mistake. So? Do you have any idea how paternalistic and condescending this sounds?
90 Human Mage
01/14/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Clevmeleon
With a new raid tier coming, we don’t want to create a trap where people are wondering what’s more lucrative: spend currency on new items, or on the new gear appearing on vendors? (Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.) To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break.

REally? You're actually saying "Hey, you people are too stupid to figure out how to spend points so we're going to make the choice for you so you can't do the 'wrong' thing."

How insulting. Do you really think someone's going to mosey up to the upgrade vendor and accidentally spend valor? That they're not going to realize that new gear might be better? And... if they do, so what? Maybe they mean to (see my post earlier for why) or maybe they make a mistake. So? Do you have any idea how paternalistic and condescending this sounds?

That's your own projection then theirs. I've actually come across this conundrum myself. Really you can't accuse Blizzard if being paternalistic. They aren't implying any of us is stupid. Stop projecting yourself on Blizzard. They aren't acting condescending here either.
90 Draenei Priest
01/14/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Saraphina

Buy a 1250 piece and DE it for a Sha Crystal :D.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Good. Hopefully they stay gone, at least until it is better designed.

At the least, they need to reduce the cost so that I can finish upgrading my main spec and make significant progress on upgrading my offspec before the next raid comes out.

If they increase the effect to 12 points total then it'd be an acceptable way to deal with bad RNG for those that cannot stand doing dailies.
90 Undead Warrior
I pray it never comes back for pvp. I came back to the game just two months ago maybe and have found it impossible to catch up enough to be in a winning RBG group by seasons end. My question is what happens to upgraded weapons for pvp when they become honor gear? Is the honor gear the upgraded one or the non upgraded one making it completely necessary for me to upgrade weps before 5.2?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/14/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Eclipsé

Buy a 1250 piece and DE it for a Sha Crystal :D.

firstly not an enchanter and secondly are there any purple pieces that don't require rep?
90 Human Warrior
I don't like the removal of the upgrade system at all, especially when I don't know how much longer it will be around for.

In a couple weeks I'll get what is probably my last piece of valor gear. I was then going to turn to earning valor for upgrades.

The only upgrades I've done have been with justice points, for my remaining blue gear. I haven't used any valor for upgrades because I was still getting gear, and I didn't know the system was going to be taken away.

Please reconsider this.

Whether we want to use valor to get gear, or want to use it to upgrade, let us decide.
90 Human Warrior
Ok ok, fourth wall broken, we’re actually just temporarily removing them from the game for 5.2 due to the new raid tier. The idea with the item upgrade system is that it’s a way to spend currency on upgrading items when buying new items isn’t the clear path. Either you’ve bought everything, or at least most of them, and then spend currency to get that extra *oomph*. With a new raid tier coming, we don’t want to create a trap where people are wondering what’s more lucrative: spend currency on new items, or on the new gear appearing on vendors? (Hint: It’s the new gear on vendors.) To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break.

Right now we’re planning for them to return in 5.3, which will not have a raid tier, and offer upgrades again as people will have likely have some currency to burn. We’re not sure yet if we’ll continue this cycle of having them take a break for raid patches and then come back in non-raid patches, but we’ll continue evaluating as we go, absorb feedback, and let you know how these plans evolve.

Hi,
I'd just like to voice my concern about this decision. As a player who has a few friends that really don't read forums and keep up to date on all things wow but still love the game will find this very confusing. I don't believe that a feature of the game should be so easily put in and removed based on if there's a new raid. If it's a feature of the game please leave it in or remove it for good.

Also players love choice. With the upgrade vendor we have a choice. Do I choose to upgrade my weapon or should I buy a new item and then later upgrade that? "Ohhh what to choose what to choose?!" That's part of what makes a game fun. Its our VP and we should be able to spend them on what we want. Its like your boss gives you your pay cheque and then says, "You can only spend that money on Groceries because I believe that's the best choice." Let us the players choose.

"To help ensure we’re not indirectly encouraging anyone to spend their currency somewhere they probably shouldn’t, the item upgraders will be taking a break."

Why shouldn't we spend our currency where we want to spend it? It should be our choice not yours. Giving choice to the player is always better. Also if the gear that's purchasable with valor is like the rest of the gear that's purchasable with valor that means people who choose not to do dailies have nothing to spend their valor points on.

That's another great choice for players. If they decide heck I don't want to grind rep they can still at least spend their currency on upgrading the gear that they do have. I'm one of those people who choose not to do dailies unless I really am interested in where the story is going. Other than that I hate dailies.

I hope I made some sense. I tried to put out some rational points but I got a bit emotional when I was typing.
90 Human Warrior
I don't like the removal of the upgrade system at all, especially when I don't know how much longer it will be around for.

In a couple weeks I'll get what is probably my last piece of valor gear. I was then going to turn to earning valor for upgrades.

The only upgrades I've done have been with justice points, for my remaining blue gear. I haven't used any valor for upgrades because I was still getting gear, and I didn't know the system was going to be taken away.

Please reconsider this.

Whether we want to use valor to get gear, or want to use it to upgrade, let us decide.

This is what I meant in my post. This player comes to the forums and he is still confused. He doesn't know how long the upgraders will be around for because as all other features of the game, he thought it would be around for good. So players who spend 0 time on the forums or fansites would be hit live and direct with confusion when they go to upgrade their gear like they want to and then boom it's gone.
Edited by Darthery on 1/14/2013 6:48 PM PST
90 Draenei Priest
01/14/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Saraphina
firstly not an enchanter and secondly are there any purple pieces that don't require rep?

Nope. It's pretty obvious that the whole "valor upgrades are a non-daily valor option" has gone they way of "we want to make PVP stats less obnoxious" and "we will have more frequent updates".
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/14/2013 06:49 PMPosted by Eclipsé

Nope. It's pretty obvious that the whole "valor upgrades are a non-daily valor option" has gone they way of "we want to make PVP stats less obnoxious" and "we will have more frequent updates".

Yep. A conversation at blizz HQ:

PR rep: "Hey we want to make it so that players can play the game how they want to play it. And to be able to gear up doing things they enjoy."

Dev:"Sounds good. Tell the players it will be in there for the kung foo panda expansion"

PR rep: "OK, we told everyone we are adding it in"

MoP release

PR rep: :"Umm, how did we make it so, the player can play how they want to play and gear up doing things they enjoy?"

Dev: "We didn't. Actually we saw how some of they players were playing. They looked like they were having too much fun. We didn't like that. So, we removed the ability to gear up that way. So, now if they want to gear up outside of raids they have to do dailies"

PR rep: "How is that better?"

Dev: "We removed the cap on dailies. So, now they can do the same quests every day for months on end. We also have a plan for patches that adds 1 daily quest hub per patch with 12 quests each so, they can do even more repetitive tasks."
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]