Is healing the most stressful role?

In my humble opinion...

Tanking >>>>>>>>>>healing > dps
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Really just depends on the fight.

Doing stuff your guild outgears though........

You might as well afk as healer lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I think healing is the most stressful on progression and highly difficult content.
It kinda depends on the fight... I know on progression Garajal was stressful for all roles.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I find healing to be relaxing compared to DPSing, because for DPS I get immediate feedback from making a mistake, whereas if I heal slightly suboptimally but no one dies I've done nothing "wrong".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
After playing for a few years, DPS tends to stress me out more than healing, but I've healed for so long now that it's pretty relaxing unless things just go to crap quickly. Starting out though, healing was probably the hardest thing for me to do, then dps then tanking. Healing doesn't really get stressful if people know what they're doing, and if YOU know the encounter because then you can time everything as you need. The first pull on a new fight is still super fun as a healer though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I dod dps tank and healing.

I my opinion healing is a pleasure. Not that hard, you will always do this with someone else. You job complete the other healers job. When you mess up other healers can help you and vice versa.

Being MW make things a lot harder but still.

I can say to you is, is more fun the dps and tank.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
i enjoy tanking and healing more than dps, but i've played this game on and off for a very long time. here is my perspective:

for tanking good positioning and knowledge of encounter mechanics is essential, and proper use of mitigation tools makes a huge impact on how much healing you need.

it is stressful because you really need a good foundation in your class's mechanics and encounters so that you don't need to pay as much attention to using skills, but rather on what is going on around you. tanking is very unfriendly to new players for this very reason. also, there is a lot of responsibility because tanking is very binary; you are either taking all the damage or you are not. this leaves little margin for error, especially in raid settings.

for healing you need a deep knowledge of your class's mechanics, but also that of others. especially the survival tools they have. like tanks, good healers will know their class well enough to instinctively react with spells/abilities that they know will be available since they have to prioritize watching the status of their group/raid.

healing is stressful because you have to pay close attention to others while continually assessing what and how much damage is incoming; changing the priority of who and what spells you are using to heal. healers are also the only role that is still designed around a finite resource system, meaning playing efficiently makes all the difference. healing is also very binary in that you are either keeping your charges alive, or you are not; ultimately placing more responsibility on the player.

healers and tanks do the most in terms of crisis management. which are the most stressful moments that pve can offer.

the best dps focus on minimizing the effort required by healers and tanks. meaning doing the most dps, while taking the least amount of damage. the role isn't as binary, and performance can be directly judged with meters; which has lead to a strong sense of competition.

dps is stressful because of competition. either with yourself or those you are grouped with. since movement is the only parameter that places conditions on what abilities to use, a dps must focus intently on maximizing damage output through proper rotations and syncing buffs.

in the end it is all about comfort level.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Meh! I have been healing for so long, going back to EQ, I don't really care anymore if they die. Seen so many deaths under my watch, one more, or for that matter, 1,000 more does not make a difference anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It depends on the group makeup. If I'm healing a squishy tank or a tank who can't tank...yea it can be stressful. If I'm healing someone who does their job and mitigates a ton of damage well its either boring or fun depending on my mood.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
I think healing is one of the easier jobs once you realize that there are several of you and you alone are not responsible for keeping every health bar full. When a wipe occurs very rarely do you hear anyone mention healing.

Tanking on the other hand. A mistake is either your fault, or the one other tanks fault. You miss a swap then its a wipe, you miss an add its a wipe, you miss a positional its a wipe. There aren't four other tanks to catch your miss-clicks and mistakes.

Looking at 25 bars going up and down can seem stressful if you feel personally responsible for keeping each one full, but you can get over that. Next time you're in a raid just stop healing for a minute and you'll realize just how little responsibility you have when the bars keep topping themselves off while you ponder your significance in the universe.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
It depends a lot on how well you personally handle unpredictability. Healing is by far the most unpredictable role on most fights-adds generally always spawn in the same place(s), at the same time, the big boss ability you need to fire your tank cooldown always comes at point x, etc. But the health bars never go up and down the same way. If you find reacting to that environment stressful then healing is going to be the most stressful role for you, if not then you probably won't.

One thing I would like to see Blizz do is make more fights about executing the mechanics properly and less about "dump healers and apply more dps to solve problems". Fights like Magtheridon and some other BC era encounters where everyone in the raid had to execute mechanics or you wrecked.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
It depends a lot on how well you personally handle unpredictability. Healing is by far the most unpredictable role on most fights-adds generally always spawn in the same place(s), at the same time, the big boss ability you need to fire your tank cooldown always comes at point x, etc. But the health bars never go up and down the same way. If you find reacting to that environment stressful then healing is going to be the most stressful role for you, if not then you probably won't.

One thing I would like to see Blizz do is make more fights about executing the mechanics properly and less about "dump healers and apply more dps to solve problems". Fights like Magtheridon and some other BC era encounters where everyone in the raid had to execute mechanics or you wrecked.

How is it unpredictable when I watch my mouse overlay health bars, I see one drop a bit and I click on it. If it drops alot I shift click. If multiple people drop, I use thumb mouse button for AOE heal. It's rather simple and mindnumbingly easy to heal, sorry.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Healing is very easy sometimes and very difficult and stressful other times. If you really enjoy healing and prefer it to dps, as I do, it's great no matter what.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

How is it unpredictable when I watch my mouse overlay health bars, I see one drop a bit and I click on it. If it drops alot I shift click. If multiple people drop, I use thumb mouse button for AOE heal. It's rather simple and mindnumbingly easy to heal, sorry.

You must hate healing. Go DPS or something. Still, if your DPS die because healers aren't very good your oh so dreaded enrage timer will make all your talk pointless.

Healing is relaxing for me but it is more a product of being rather experienced at it across multiple MMOs. However, if a group is terrible it can get stressful but also fun. Decent DPS are a dime a dozen in my experience. Decent healers are getting more and more common thankfully. A good tank is still a treasure to find.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
For me, healing is the least stressful role.

At first it was, but once I began relaxing and not panicking when health dipped, it became such a fun and rewarding experience.

The main thing is being prepared, knowing the fights and not wasting heals, and not watching hps meters.

Funny thing is when you turn off the meters, your heals go through the roof =)

We're basically glorified babysitters. At least that's my personal take on it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Healing is stressful until you realize that blame is a resource that can be distributed.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I am just curious because I've been playing my mistweaver monk (pve) and sometimes I'll find myself in real binds where I'm super low on mana and there's just not enough juice to heal the raid. The last time I played WoW was in wotlk, where mana was rarely an issue for healers. Tanking and dps seem to be in about the same spot as they were back then (incredibly easy), but healing is sort of in a unique position where its the only role that has any kind of stress.

I still enjoy healing raids, I just feel like its not as fun having to make the decision whether to heal or not heal, while dps rarely have to decide whether or not to dps, and tanks rarely have to decide not to tank. Sure there's some cooldown management for those roles but they're pretty much designed to go forever, while healers only get to have a short amount of fun.

What's wrong with tighter enrages and more interesting/unforgiving boss mechanics to allow for higher healing 'uptime', as opposed to the current situation where healers manapools are an artificial enrage timer? Like I love Tsulong because its the only fight where I can just blow out big healing and not have to care much about mana, like the olden days.

Not trying to be argumentative here, I've just been gone a while and want to hear other players' opinions on the current design vs. other options : )

If you're stressing while playing video games you should stop and relax. healing is fun for me anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/15/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Beepboopkill
There is a reason most people don't play a healer
Yea staring at VuhDo randomly clicking on people while watching TV is boring as hell.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I do think healing is more stressful, but not by a huge margin.

Tanks have a bit of a clench moment whenever their health drops low and they have to trust someone else to fix it. And they also have to worry about the whole raid's positioning and condition and factor that into cooldown usage. Tanking is *definitely* harder than it was in Wrath, most of those fights were a stationary taunt-swap and that's a rarity now.

Healers have long-term resource management, which is unique to the role. DPSers lining up a huge burst don't have to worry about being punished for it 6 minutes later. It also has a harder time with continuous movement. Everyone has to dodge stuff while still hitting their buttons but healers also have to select targets on the run (Bladelord P2), or quickly decide when to eat avoidable damage to save someone from death.

I agree here. With encounter design, at least in MSV (sorry my experience is lacking) with fights requiring tanks to handle multiple mechanics throughout a fight, and healers having to handle, for the most part, 1 mechanic...Ya know...The one where we turn blue bars into green bars...I think tanking is more stressful than healing at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yes.
That doesn't mean it's not the most fun though!
(I should mention that I play a dk tank, so perhaps my perception of how easy/hard tanking is is a bit skewed)
Edited by Hellonobody on 1/21/2013 8:34 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]