Are shadow priests viable in pvp for 5.2?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've got a Frost DK and a Shadow Priest at 87, love both of them, and am trying to pick which one I want to take up to 90. It will be for PvP only. Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Would you rather be locked down the entire fight never getting a cast off and having every dot you cast dispelled, or put out more damage than any other class with little survivability. That is the question.
Reply Quote
SPriests will probably be the best caster class in PvP in 5.2. But, that doesn't mean melee won't be running circles around them (and all casters, for that matter). Go FDK, guarantee they will be great in 5.2.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I would go with Shadow, we are borderline OP and DKs aren't that great at the moment and if we get nerfed it still probably wont be by that much.
Edited by Tinhat on 1/15/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Lol, so that is 1 vote for shadow, 1 vote for frost dk. I am now even more vexed. :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Shadow.

Always Shadow.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Frost death knight. I also find it interesting people claim they are OP but have 0 ratings in everything.
Edited by Aajax on 1/16/2013 4:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/15/2013 08:51 PMPosted by Creepindethh
Go FDK, guarantee they will be great in 5.2.

You clearly have not read the patch notes for DK then. Unholy will be the spec to be in 5.2.
Edited by Darkapostle on 1/16/2013 6:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
shadow is clearly the better choice right now. that isnt saying much. disc priests are being punished this expansion. i dont really know why- they were mediocre last expansion.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/16/2013 06:49 AMPosted by Javascript
disc priests are being punished this expansion. i dont really know why- they were mediocre last expansion.
..wat? We were !@#$ing amazing last expansion
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
01/16/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Jaosix
disc priests are being punished this expansion. i dont really know why- they were mediocre last expansion.

Don't forget Wrath: Disc was the shizzle in Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If you're geared properly.. you will only struggle 1v1 against melee, and a few very good hunters. Arena Wise I'd go spriest over DK due to more utility, support, the mass dispell(Makes or breaks a lot of games), and overall pressure shadow puts out.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
TnC
Mass Dispel changes everything...specially if u kno how to place it like a boss...I would only suggest to play a Frost DK if ur new to PvP...they're not very complex...otherwise I really think Unholy DK is abouta be rollin with rush in 5.2...and Spriest is still gonna be good, if not great anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/16/2013 04:41 AMPosted by Aajax
I also find it interesting people claim they are OP but have 0 ratings in everything.

Clearly the 1700 player knows what he's talking about.
Edited by Tinhat on 1/16/2013 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
The amount of utility that shadow brings is far more useful in an arena match than the raw damage a frost DK brings.

That being said, shadow is much harder to play and doesn't really fit into the LOL POP CD'S AND GLOBAL U skill comps that frost dk does.

OP doesn't appear to do much arena though, so pick whichever one is most fun to you! The offheals that a shadow priest can bring make it much easier to sway a fight in a random battleground though ;p

plus dk's are scum
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest

NECROTIC STRIKE! that was such a devastating addition to the already overpowering Dk arsenal. It hit disc priests the hardest, in my opinion, because we lacked mobility, escape mechanics and potent instant cast healing.
Edited by Javascript on 1/16/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The amount of utility that shadow brings is far more useful in an arena match than the raw damage a frost DK brings.

That being said, shadow is much harder to play and doesn't really fit into the LOL POP CD'S AND GLOBAL U skill comps that frost dk does.

OP doesn't appear to do much arena though, so pick whichever one is most fun to you! The offheals that a shadow priest can bring make it much easier to sway a fight in a random battleground though ;p

plus dk's are scum

I actually am very into arena but haven't played any this expansion due to my usual partner not being on. But I love the complex style and skill that is required for a priest as it does make it vastly more interesting to play, so I will go with S Priest. After looking at the patch notes again, it really does seem that Frost DK's utility pales in comparison with S Priest.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

NECROTIC STRIKE! that was such a devastating addition to the already overpowering Dk arsenal. It hit disc priests the hardest, in my opinion, because we lacked mobility, escape mechanics and potent instant cast healing.

Yes, but it wasn't like it was unhealable or an instant I-WIN button against us. You could easily heal through it when the dk wasn't popping cooldowns. Even with the dk's cooldowns, you could still heal through it using your cooldowns correctly.
Also, not every team had a dk on it
Edited by Jaosix on 1/16/2013 10:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Yes, but it wasn't like it was unhealable or an instant I-WIN button against us. You could easily heal through it when the dk wasn't popping cooldowns. Even with the dk's cooldowns, you could still heal through it using your cooldowns correctly.
Also, not every team had a dk on it

DKs just straight up destroyed healers if not constantly cc'd or focused in cata - was very much unhealable due to how hard it was to get casts off unless they were terrible. If you're talking about the DK attacking something else then yeah sure, but on the priest, no.

As for the actual topic, spriest for sure given current balance but judging from the latest PTR changes they're not going to stay the way they are.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]