Is Ret really that bad?

90 Night Elf Priest
TnC
Im rolling my thrid toon ret/holy who's only still at 87...as far as I understand, holy is the gangsta grillz (no concerns really)...but I've seen a lot of posts about the underpowered-ness of rets, and their inabilty to offheal well anymore...just looking for some clarity...how much of this is just QQing, and how much are actual issues that need to be address and accounted for??

This is for PvP purposes.
Edited by Doctapurp on 1/16/2013 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's really not that bad.

The people who can't play very well will scream the sky is falling, but so far, once I started getting gear I noticed a big change.

Yes there are some downsides right now, but they are fixing that in 5.2, which is nice. They're giving us some extra healing boosts that we really needed.

If you find Holy fun, then play Holy. If you find Ret fun, then play Ret. Who gives a flying flip what it is long as its fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/16/2013 09:17 AMPosted by Klareh
n play Ret. Who gives a flying flip what it is long as its fun.

Well the people who have to play with you probably do.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 09:28 AMPosted by Andriol
n play Ret. Who gives a flying flip what it is long as its fun.

False, I am a great asset to my team. Just because Rets in a bad spot does not mean I am, but I'm sure someone like you who loves to PvP all the time would know this? Oh wait.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/16/2013 09:36 AMPosted by Klareh

False, I am a great asset to my team. Just because Rets in a bad spot does not mean I am,

/cheer
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Rets will be owned 1 v 1 vs every class in the game except rogues

You can own undergeared noobs in BGs, but at higher rated RBGs you will find out how little you bring to your team. An RBG leader can bring a second Mage or DK or Spriest and have more value than what you bring.

If you want to run RBGs then you better have friends that are RBG leaders or you are a good signal caller. I have both but good luck finding an RBG group as a pug at higher levels.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Actually offheal isn't too bad provided you take selfless. A full stack will do 100k+, but it takes a little time to build that up. Problem is we can't heal ourself for anything.

It's bad in the sense that most classes will own you. You can't even facetank a frost dk as melee. Rogues? Well maybe they aren't consistent, but I had a rogue 100% me in a shadowblade the other day. The only thing that would have saved me was a bubble, but it was down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/16/2013 09:36 AMPosted by Klareh

False, I am a great asset to my team. Just because Rets in a bad spot does not mean I am, but I'm sure someone like you who loves to PvP all the time would know this? Oh wait.

Uuugh, so many assumptions, so little time.

-Never said you wheren't.

-Never said ret was in a bad spot or that you were

-Never said I was a pvp master of any kind

-Really the only thing I did was give a cheeky response to one sentence of your entire post, no need to get so defensive.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
01/16/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Agincourt

I've yet to find this as the case, and I'm rolling around in mostly unupgraded dreadful. The healing nerfs certainly hurt, but hardly make pvp insurmountable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ret is really really good for blowing up undergeared players fast. In a fair fight it has serious issues.

The biggest frustration with Ret is it literally paints a giant target on you because anyone with a brain knows "train the ret" is a winning strategy. Rets do too much damage to ignore but are easily countered and killed.

A full mana bar gets you 3 flash of lights that heal for around 30k each (more as of 5.2). In other words, not much.

Ret is just awkward. It's probably the easiest class to play in the entire game thus any serious buffs to it will bring out serious complaints from a large percentage of the game population after they get killed by Ret kiddies.

I enjoy my Ret for PvE but for PvP I just can't handle the frustration anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Have you been on the PTR? Rogues are ungodly beasts now. They kill rets easily. (monks too)

I would say Rets are strong against the other classes that have serious issues...enhance shamans come to mind.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/16/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Snozberries

I've yet to find this as the case, and I'm rolling around in mostly unupgraded dreadful. The healing nerfs certainly hurt, but hardly make pvp insurmountable.

And Agin is in full malevolent.

It's definitely tough right now and some matchups are impossible like destro and possibly demo with the current blood fear and spriests.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin

It's definitely tough right now and some matchups are impossible like destro and possibly demo with the current blood fear and spriests.

The gear tiering is certainly some of the dumbest that's been in the game for a long time. Anyone starting out is going to be in for a painful experience, no matter what class or spec they play. Weapons being some of the worst offenders. However, even without full malevolent ret is hardly hopeless.

Blood fear is really dumb. Spriests are very tough if you don't use your cooldowns properly.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Unless you have miles to kite around, Warriors, Ferals and DKs will destroy you. Out in the open Warlocks and Spriests will own you.

Im having more luck against hunters there days
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have a hard time against locks, spriests, hunters and mages.

THE GOOD ONES

Not the derps in random battlegrounds.

We're pretty good against other melee and will be even better in 5.2

Monks and rogues will probably be an issue though.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Agin I see you've hit 2k in rbgs congrats. :D
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Positron

To be fair, he did admit to losing to an afk Warrior at Half health.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Unless you have miles to kite around, Warriors, Ferals and DKs will destroy you. Out in the open Warlocks and Spriests will own you.

Im having more luck against hunters there days

Frost DK? if a ret loses to a frost dk ever they should just uninstall.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 12:12 PMPosted by Leafytoastdk
Unless you have miles to kite around, Warriors, Ferals and DKs will destroy you.

Frost DK? if a ret loses to a frost dk ever they should just uninstall.

The only part of me getting destroyed when a frost DK crosses my path, are my blessings and buffs! lol

Also you don't need miles to kite melee in circles... quite the nifty invention those circles are!

But in all seriousness, ret is not that bad. Nerfs suck, but we are getting un-nerfed in 5.2 and TBH the more I hear about 5.2 the more I'm dreading the possibility of being bundled up with rogues, and monks as the new OP FOTM classes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Agin - in my opinion you gave up your right to post in here when you paid to be carried/wintraded to 2200 in rbgs.
Hell, I'd be to embarrassed to post in forums.
Before you get defensive, lets face it.
Fact - you went from 1700-2.2k in 1 day. 13/1/2013
Fact - in over 125 rbg games you have only managed to get from 1600 achievement to 1700.
Fact - you have no other arena rating to prove you are worthy of 2200.
Fact - since 5.1 less rets are achieving 2200.
Fact - your achievements show that you achieved 1800&1900 at the same time from the same rbg win meaning you had a massive increase in mmr gain from the 1 rbg.
Fact - you have dropped from 2.2k - 2k in less then a week showing that your not an exceptional player.

Cheating is cheating, but spending real money on it is laughable, end of the day.. It didn't make you a better player.

Oh snap, I no all the usual excuses 'I just happened to join an awesome team' 'I have alot of high rated friends' ect. Well not many rbg groups will take a ret into them especially if they are high rated unless of course you are an incredible player which my friend, you are not.

Klareh - I'm sorry.. Ret is not fine in competitive rated play.
If your only a bg hero.. Then yes ret is fine, it's not hard to macro all your CDs, press 1 button then burst down players in greens and blues with ease.
If you want to rbg or arena competitively against equally skills and geared players, then you will truly see our shortcomings as a class spec.

Doctapurp - competitively, we are better than some but worse than most.
Our burst is good but easily countered.
Our sustained damage can be good if we can stay on target.. Not such an easy feat with the amount of cc in the game and rets not having any stun/fear protection or fear break.
Our utility is average, the reason I say average is all of it is dispellable or breakable. However if playing in a none competitive scene against retards, our utility can be awesome with clemency and selfless healer.
Our survivability sucks.. We have bubble which can be dispelled or shattered and is on a very long cd of 5min, our self healing is beyond weak, we have no passive damage reduction so in theory we are taking 100% damage at all times and as said before, we have no stun or fear protection/breaks so we'll tend to be cc'd the entire durations or taking a lot of damage before the damage threshold is reached.

Still, I find ret fun to play.. And will keep playing.
Edited by Daemonism on 1/16/2013 1:55 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]