Is Ret really that bad?

90 Human Paladin
Agin - in my opinion you gave up your right to post in here when you paid to be carried/wintraded to 2200 in rbgs.
Hell, I'd be to embarrassed to post in forums.
Before you get defensive, lets face it.
Fact - you went from 1700-2.2k in 1 day. 13/1/2013
Fact - in over 125 rbg games you have only managed to get from 1600 achievement to 1700.
Fact - you have no other arena rating to prove you are worthy of 2200.
Fact - since 5.1 less rets are achieving 2200.
Fact - your achievements show that you achieved 1800&1900 at the same time from the same rbg win meaning you had a massive increase in mmr gain from the 1 rbg.
Fact - you have dropped from 2.2k - 2k in less then a week showing that your not an exceptional player.

Cheating is cheating, but spending real money on it is laughable, end of the day.. It didn't make you a better player.

Oh snap, I no all the usual excuses 'I just happened to join an awesome team' 'I have alot of high rated friends' ect. Well not many rbg groups will take a ret into them especially if they are high rated unless of course you are an incredible player which my friend, you are not.

Klareh - I'm sorry.. Ret is not fine in competitive rated play.
If your only a bg hero.. Then yes ret is fine, it's not hard to macro all your CDs, press 1 button then burst down players in greens and blues with ease.
If you want to rbg or arena competitively against equally skills and geared players, then you will truly see our shortcomings as a class spec.

Doctapurp - competitively, we are better than some but worse than most.
Our burst is good but easily countered.
Our sustained damage can be good if we can stay on target.. Not such an easy feat with the amount of cc in the game and rets not having any stun/fear protection or fear break.
Our utility is average, the reason I say average is all of it is dispellable or breakable. However if playing in a none competitive scene against retards, our utility can be awesome with clemency and selfless healer.
Our survivability sucks.. We have bubble which can be dispelled or shattered and is on a very long cd of 5min, our self healing is beyond weak, we have no passive damage reduction so in theory we are taking 100% damage at all times and as said before, we have no stun or fear protection/breaks so we'll tend to be cc'd the entire durations or taking a lot of damage before the damage threshold is reached.

Still, I find ret fun to play.. And will keep playing.

Now do me!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
01/16/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Daemonism
Agin - in my opinion you gave up your right to post in here when you paid to be carried/wintraded to 2200 in rbgs.

Huh.

1700 to 2200 all in the span of a single day.

Seems legit.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
If your name isn't Vanguards you won't find a single Ret Pally in any high rated RBG. You will also not find many Rets above 2200 rating in Arena. Blizzard doesn't seem to pay attention to these statistics however.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Frost DK? if a ret loses to a frost dk ever they should just uninstall.

You beat them by kiting them right?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Huh.

Seems legit.

How would you know?

01/16/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Käyto
If your name isn't Vanguards you won't find a single Ret Pally in any high rated RBG. You will also not find many Rets above 2200 rating in Arena. Blizzard doesn't seem to pay attention to these statistics however.

Blizzard has said many times that all they care about is that the amount of people playing each class is equal. Actually balancing the classes to be on even ground is irrelevant.

E.G if 90% of paladins in the arena are holy because ret sucks it's still balance because 9/10 paladins are given a fair shake.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 03:36 PMPosted by Invincible
How would you know?

500 rating in a day? Dont think it works that way legitimately.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/16/2013 03:36 PMPosted by Invincible
How would you know?

Recent activity feed.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Huh

Seems legit.
Nonsense. I have some very good friends that hang out in my vent and have known two years. They are very good players, much better than me. Every time their RBG team runs I ask to join and they say no Ret. This time one of their players didnt show and they laughed and said OK, that I could come. Took about 5 hours but we went something like 5-1

I felt pretty helpless in there and have never seen so much CC. Got a few kills, lower-middle of damage on our team, threw them some heals and freedoms, but really didn't feel like there was much in my toolkit to impact the outcome, like any Ret would

Considering they were all 2200-2400 players and I was at 1700 what do you think would happen to my CR if we won? When I play with my regular group we take in guys with no CR and they play with us for hours and their CR increases dramtically
Edited by Agincourt on 1/16/2013 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Chaz, cause and cadberry in the same thread! Let the agin bashing begin!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Invincible
Usally they spend all their energy bashing you. I guess they are doing the change of pace thing just to mix up the hatred.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 04:03 PMPosted by Invincible

You're the one congratulating him on being carried.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Dear OP, No. No it's not. I have been doing well in my contender's gear so far haha. I just dinged 90 last night and I am really enjoying it. I can enjoy it so it must not be too much of a deal breaker.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Paladinchaz

If you call my buddies feeling sorry for the Ret and taking him along then I guess it's a carry. I thought it was a nice thing to do on their part. Good guys
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Paladinchaz

Girls gotta do what a girls gotta do rofl. It's hard out there for a ret.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Opinions are opinions, data however..

01/15/2013 10:51 PMPosted by Moofista
http://www.simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html

01/16/2013 03:45 PMPosted by Slant
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/10H/all/14/30/default/

See where rets is, PvE wise, both by simulations and actual collected data. We are still above some specs though, but they can just respec to other DPS spec and be top chart, we dont have that choice.

Now picture us in PvP, with the lack of cc, one of the worst survivability, both by our defensive toolkit being useless against half-brained teams and by recently healing nerfs, which wasnt even aimed at us (PvP Power nerf mostly focused on spriest, Battle Fatigue buff to prevent healers healing too much) and by far, the worst uptime on target in comparison to any other melee class (well, maybe on par with DK).

I wouldnt say we are that bad though and it can be fun to play, but if you are aiming at high end PvP or dedicated RGBs groups, well..

HOLY!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/16/2013 04:15 PMPosted by Syros
HOLY!

That's what GC said >.<

Holy is gonna be so boned in 5.2.

They nerfed repent and put a 2 sec cast on BL rofl.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The spec is fine, the problem with ret currently is that it doesn't have anything making it a desirable choice for RBGs because it brings nothing special to the table that other classes can't already do better.

We do have some issues with survivability at the moment due to them nerfing pvp healing power too greatly but that is being addressed in the next patch.

Really though, for the most part people are just feeding off each others' negativity on the forums and convincing one another that ret is much worse than it actually is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://i45.tinypic.com/2z4myq8.png

They are not bad.

In all honesty the only annoying thing about Rets is their off healing. 3 stacks of Selfless healer saves lives sure, but every other heal we have isn't all that great unless they crit.

Other than that, Rets are pretty powerful in PvP, though it will be wise to stack resil as you will be trained a lot and relatively easy to kill unless you utilise Ret tools such as kiting, healing, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]