Really unhappy with rare pet spawn rates.

58 Blood Elf Death Knight
Forgive me if this comes across as whiny, but after several weeks of diligently looking for several rare pets, on multiple servers, with multiple toons - I've come to the conclusion that this just isn't fun gameplay. Its our jobs to communicate what is and is not fun, so I'm doing just that.

Every day I server hop, toon hop, and camp multiple rare pet spawn points along with dozens other people. Despite having the flu, I've even done this today. I've made toons on oceanic servers, brazilian servers, low pop servers, all in desperate hope of finding 3 rare pets.

I understand the idea of wanting some mounts to be rare, or even some armor sets - but when I feel as if I have to go to these lengths to find battle pets? That just isn't fun, as I said above.

Make no mistake - I *love* Battle Pets. This turned out to be one of the most addictive features I've ever seen in a game - I've done hundreds of battles this week, leveled dozens of pets and enjoyed nearly every second of it. But I'm wasting hours, literally, a day trying to find these rare pets, across multiple servers and characters. And I know I'm not the only one who is doing this... I see players every day, often the same ones, camping the same spots I am.

Its just a very poor design choice, IMO, for what is otherwise an amazing new aspect of WOW.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree with you. Most of the pets have a reasonable spawn time as far as time involved goes. I was extremely lucky and picked up a poor version of the undead dragon in Icecrown, but have not even seen a glimpse of the minfernal. I log in at all hours of the day/night and always see 3-7 people camped at the spawn site.

I've put reasonable effort into finding all the other pets and I like how hard it is to find most of the dozen or so 'hard' ones.

Blizz has to know that people like us who actually camp these pets are completionists. It's starting to become no fun for me. And that they are adding more hard to get pets is making me want to quit even more.

ugh!! I can only camp so many things before it's a job that doesn't pay me.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
The new mech cat and bear are pretty bad IMO. Both share spawn points with other things and in the case of the cat, it's seems worse in that I hardly ever saw an Irraidiated Roach before the cat was put in so now there's 2 pets spawning in the same spot which is a very small area compared to the rest of the zone. The bear is just as bad sharing points with 2 other pets and doesn't come as an add at all while the other 2 do(if they made the bear come as an add in the zone, even rarely, it would help finding the rarity/breed you're looking for).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
its bad enough we have to find the only rarity worth having (rare) with a specific breed if you want to fight effectively in pvp.... but then they make certain pets so god-awful to even locate in the first place!

id be fine with minfernals (etc) if they perhaps had an increased chance of being 'rare' quality due to the fact that they themselves are so scarce.

(or yaknow.. fix your crz nonsense so 6-8 servers of people arent sitting on one servers worth of minfernals, yeah gg blizz)
Reply Quote
24 Dwarf Hunter
I agree.

I don't think it is much fun to station a toon where a rare pet spawns and have to check in 20 times a day for weeks to find the perfect breed of a low spawn rate pet.

I like the spawn pattern for the Tiny Harvester much better. I fight one and another pops up to replace it almost immediately.

If there must be pets with very low spawn rates, then why not at least make each such pet available in only one breed. I think a lot of the pressure on the low spawn rate pets is players looking for the perfect breed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I don't think it's the spawn rate, I think it's the problem with CRZ. Some of us rolled on low pop servers for this reason. We LIKE having only this tight knit community in our zones. We like seeing no one, having rare spawns to ourselves, knowing who's killing the rare spawns. Now my low pop servers are on the same CRZ as Illidan, and all of a sudden I'm sharing spawns with the highest pop server in WoW. I found all my rare pets on my HIGHER population server. It's kind of ridiculous. If we had no CRZ zones where these rare pets spawn, no one would have a problem.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
if everyone can get it, it ceases to be rare. The fact that some people have a hard time getting it MAKES it rare.

Working as intended.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
if everyone can get it, it ceases to be rare. The fact that some people have a hard time getting it MAKES it rare.

Working as intended.

So working as intended = frustrating waste of a whole lot of peoples' time?

Don't mean that as snarky toward you, fellow gnome, but surely there are much better ways to provide super-rare pets than obnoxious world spawnrates. 1% drop from heroic raid bosses, drops from rare spawns like the ones in Dread Wastes (over 100 kills of both on my mains and I've only seen a total of 7 pets drop), rare drops from World bosses, etc etc.

There are just a whole lot of ways to provide uncommon pets that not everyone has, without wasting hours of peoples' days or making them feel forced to do ridiculous things like roll Death Knights on servers they would otherwise never play on.

And yes as Love pointed out, things like CRZ give people even more competition for these pets, in the moments they do spawn, than they would normally have. That isn't a diss on CRZ, I've made a couple of great friends over it - but it stacks the odds against other players even more unreasonably.
Edited by Piebaby on 1/8/2013 12:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Fact is, many of the people who already have a Minfernal are quite happy to see other people unable to get them. It's just a Nah nah nahnah thing with them.
Reply Quote
10 Pandaren Monk

Working as intended.

So working as intended = frustrating waste of a whole lot of peoples' time?

Absolutely. It's rare, and not everyone is supposed to have it. Blizzard has said this on Twitter several times.

01/08/2013 03:55 AMPosted by Kailassa
Fact is, many of the people who already have a Minfernal are quite happy to see other people unable to get them. It's just a Nah nah nahnah thing with them.

I don't have a Minfernal or Scourged Whelpling, and I've spent many hours camping them. I'm not too upset, though, because I understand that some pets will take much more work and dedication to obtain. It's fine that some pets are rarer than others.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
01/08/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Chabeta
The issue really is CRZ.

the issue is really impatience and laziness.

If you want to make these 'rare' pets spawn once a day, that is fine

they spawn more than once a day, this includes minfernal and scourged whelps.

However, when you have 8+ servers all competing for the exact same handful of pets - it isn't rare, it's a crap shoot (if you're VERY lucky)

Yet many poeple have them some even have multiple. There are many alternative ways to assist getting these(slower crzs and such), try them.

. As if this weren't bad enough, there is nothing to make some pets spawn apart from a server restart.

there is not a single pet that only spawns on server restarts.

When a few seconds length of your loading screen is the determining factor on if you do/don't get a pet, there is a pretty obvious flaw somewhere.

Weird, if it was that obvious why don't I see it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I understand the idea of wanting some mounts to be rare, or even some armor sets - but when I feel as if I have to go to these lengths to find battle pets? That just isn't fun, as I said above.

If you aren't having fun, then stop doing it. You said you're having fun doing pet battles without the minfernal or scourged whelpling, so forget about them, and spend your time doing things that are fun for you.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Yep it sucks, if you can the best way is to multibox and do something on another guy. Took about 2 weeks of camping for me to get a minfernal this way. It also happened to be the only one I saw and that's just having a guy sit there for 8+ hours a day. I feel sorry for those that only have one account and camp these rares all day.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
I was lucky pretty early on to get my little minfernal. I grabbed him before the spawn area camping get so very hideous.

The stones made things a little better, but there is still an issue here. There are still people camping the minfernal spawn spot around the clock. Sometimes I'll see seven or eight people just haning out on flying mounts. I've spent a few hours farming up area pets while a buddy of mine camps the spawns and no dice. He's been checking regularly. He has yet to even see a spawn. To boot, I was lucky enough to get TWO restart days off work so far. Both days, our realm seemed to be the last to come up out of our CRZ group.

I feel bad for the unlucky people that have their chances of getting a pet decreased simply because of the time of day they are able to play or by the luck of when their realm is available.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
01/08/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Chabeta
Being a contrarian douche tends to cloud vision.

Witty and classy, well played.

For others, the rare spawn rate + artificially overpopulated zones makes no sense.

Yet the people who make the call say it is working as intended.

If the idea of CRZ is to help the zones not feel so empty - 35+ people in a single area Felwood is far from empty and really only creates a needlessly frustrating bottleneck.

That many people have posted several work around to, stop thinking changing the game to the way you think it should work is the only solution. Not only are you more than likely wrong you also more than likely will never get any changes.
Reply Quote
94 Tauren Shaman
This is why you got the battlestones. The battlestones are also a kind of incentive to actually finish a pet battle cause you just might get one.

One night out in panda land I got two of the generic battlestones within 3 hours of each other. So you see, you just never know.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
[quote/]
If the idea of CRZ is to help the zones not feel so empty - 35+ people in a single area Felwood is far from empty and really only creates a needlessly frustrating bottleneck.

That many people have posted several work around to, stop thinking changing the game to the way you think it should work is the only solution. Not only are you more than likely wrong you also more than likely will never get any changes.[/quote]

I would like to know the work arounds for CRZ that do not include paying for a server transfer or leveling a toon for the soul purpose of capturing one pet. Multiboxing is not a work around for CRZ it's simply a way to camp and be productive at the same time. It also would require setting up a seperate account if you do not already have one and leveling a toon.

There are not any simple work arounds that I've seen for increasing your odds of getting a rare spawn pet. If the only factors were RNG and luck that would be one thing. With the Wanderer's festival hatchling this is the case. With real rare spawns, RNG, luck, computer speed, realm availability, and CRZ population all play a factor. Pvp realms got it rougher.

If Blizzard wanted things more fair they would not cluster spawn restarts. They would evenly distribute actual spawns over a certain window of time. Spawn rates would increase in zones where CRZ is causing heavier population.

If they wanted things to be different it would be changed already is not a valid arguement for anything. If that were true NOTHING would ever change.

edit: bad with quotes. I give up lol.
Edited by Breathagain on 1/8/2013 11:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]