Most useful/fun healer?

90 Dwarf Paladin
I'm planning on leveling a healer, and I've seen EXTREMELY mixed comments about the replayability and skill level of certian classes. I've seen that druids apparenty can't raid/dungeon heal, so yeah, but not sure if that's true. Anything you guys can tell me? I'm going to be doing a lot of dungeoning/PvE, so what's a good healing class for the aformentioned playstyles? Thanks! Also, I hope to move into endgame content as soon as permitted. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
All of the healing classes are more than capable despite those who would otherwise complain about there lacking qualities.

Druids are more than capable of healing everything I believe you will find them one of the more mobile healers since a lot of there healing capacity is instant spells if your in pvp they have nice cc's and a root ability so there more than a good option

Priest is very good right now both holy and disc with recent buffs is in a good spot you will find they have a very diverse toolbox of abilities so i would say there a little more difficult to master but very doable.

Shamans are very good at single target or stacked raid healing with there mastery and spell compliment. there totem and cool down utility is also very good. i believe there a little more challenging than some of the other classes but not certainly so much you couldn't get used to it.

Monks i haven't played beyond lvl 45 so i couldn't say at 90 but by all accounts there doing just fine both raid healing and single target i can't say much about there cooldowns however.

if it were me i'd go druid they can tank dps in either melee or ranged and heal so if you end up not liking it you still can find something about them you do like to do not a total waste of your time.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I kinda like priest, which would you say is all around better for PvP, dungeons, raids, and PvE? Priest or Durid?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
This is probably going to sound odd, however the most fun healer is an enhancement shaman. The only thing they lack is a cleanse, but other than that they are pretty good. I've been doing it for a while now and I get some solid results with it.

An enh shaman healer is basically a good dps with good healing. Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. Today in LFR I queued up as a healer, healed, but did dps while healing. Your healing toolkit basically consists of healing rain, chain heal, healing surge, and healing spring totem (you can get healing tide totem or the other healing talent, but I like conductivity). If you have the 2 pc pvp set, then you are pretty much guaranteed to put down your healing rain, do another heal (chain heal or healing surge) and then another heal. Sometimes you will be able to do 2 heals in between healing rain. The reason I say you get 1 or 2 is because you pretty much only heal if you have 4 or 5 stacks of maelstrom because 1) mana cost reduction (20% for each stack of maelstrom) and 2) stronger heals (20% stronger per each maelstrom). Basically whenever you have 5 stacks, your healing surge will heal for around 80k, crit for 160k and if you have echo of elements talent, you have a 33% chance to get another heal for same amount. I had a healing surge crit the tank for 160k, and echo procced and crit for another 160k making that healing surge do 320k, add in the conductivity (20% of the heal gets spread to people in your healing rain) you get a total of 320k on the tank and 64k spread to the people in healing rain - Good stuffs. Your healing rains will tick for about 16k, crit for 32k. And healing spring totem does about 10k, crits for 15k. These number are raid buffed btw.

Anyway, during LFR I was pulling ~70k dps and ~35-45k hps. Not bad, actually that's quite good. Believe it or not, it's really fun to play like this because you are essentially another dps and healer. The top healer during one of those fights was a holy pally that had done 50k hps, but zero dps. So as long as there isn't a lot cleansing require for the fight, enh shaman make great healers. Heck, even random heroic dungeons are awesome because they are so quick with your extra dps and being able to heal the group no problem. Now yes, people will be a bit weary of you at first, however once you show them the power of enh shaman healing, you will be a welcomed addition to any group. Just today I had a tank that said it wouldn't work having me heal, however by the end of our 6 runs he said he won't be able to stand having normal healers anymore. So if you have the patience to level up a shaman or if you already have a lvl 90 shaman that's collecting dust, I highly suggest you give it a shot. I will warn you though, it requires a more than average awareness of what's going on because you have to keep up your dps as melee, avoid bad things, and also keep an eye on the group's hp. But let me tell you, it is very rewarding when you get it down and it's super fun!

Good luck with whatever healer you decide to go with!
Edited by Fligmos on 1/9/2013 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Don't choose a healer to level based on what the balance is now. Balance always changes and what is good one tier will suck the next. Choose what healer based on play style or just what looks interesting to you.

No healer is completely incapable. Are some not performing as well as others? Of course, but that is pretty much always the case in some form or another. Any class of healer will get you through a heroic or raid decently.
Reply Quote
Don't choose a healer to level based on what the balance is now. Balance always changes and what is good one tier will suck the next. Choose what healer based on play style or just what looks interesting to you.

No healer is completely incapable. Are some not performing as well as others? Of course, but that is pretty much always the case in some form or another. Any class of healer will get you through a heroic or raid decently.

Listen to this guy.

Right this second, monks are not doing so well because they're effectively still in development. That will change.

Druids are mediocre in raids right now mostly because of stat scaling. That will change. Also they're decent in PVP.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
As mentioned previously, hybrid healing is viable in easier/beginner content like 5-man heroics and LFR, but if you're lookingto raid/do challenge modes/etc. at a more competitive level, you're going to want to choose a healer that you like to play.
Balance does change from patch to patch, but paladins have a pretty seamless record.

Bottom line, read about the healing classes and pick one that will be fun to you. Chances are your healing will be more than enough unless you're doing bleeding edge progression and every % makes a difference
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yup, pick the style that appeals to you - and if it's a consideration, also look at the options for your second spec, since if you decide late in the levelling experience you need a healing break, you want an option that you can at least enjoy on occasion.

The only ones really requiring a whole gear set that isn't useful for any other class spec are pally and monk - all of your other options have a caster dps option that can make use of your heal gear, if that's a consideration for you.

Apart from that, it's just going to come down to what you feel suits you, how many spells you want to manage, and what kind of healing you feel like you want to do (primarily tank? Group/raid? PvP/BG?)

And if you try more than one and feel your preference changing partway through? No biggie. it happens. This was my main healer from BC through early Cata... and yet I'm gravitating to my pally more these days.

Whichever you pick, don't rely on what other people say. How much you enjoy and feel in sync with your healer will determine a LOT more about how "good" you are than theorycrafting unless you're wanting to push hard progression.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
As mentioned previously, hybrid healing is viable in easier/beginner content like 5-man heroics and LFR, but if you're lookingto raid/do challenge modes/etc. at a more competitive level, you're going to want to choose a healer that you like to play.
Balance does change from patch to patch, but paladins have a pretty seamless record.

I'm not sure how powerful other hybrid healing is in terms of being able to keep up strong dps while healing, but having an enh shaman that knows how to heal allows your group to go with one less healer in the group thus giving the group another dps. Now I know many groups go with a 2 healer setup in the first place, however I've never been lucky enough to be in one of those groups until I started healing on my enh shaman. Granted, I haven't done heroic raiding this teir and I'm not sure how viable it would be; but for random heroics, lfr, and normal raid difficulty it can easily be a main healer or off healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
If your leaning toward priest I would recommend them because, they can dps and heal depending on spec and also if you are in disc spec can do both at the same time. Depending on the fight and mechanics of the fight i hover anywhere between 24-40k DPS and still put down huge heals. No 10 man raid would say nah we dont need an extra 40k + heals. Shadow spec is also putting up some good numbers as far as dps goes. Also I've never heard any real complaints about a Holy raid healer (generally what I do). We can pretty much constantly AOE heal and still have mana.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Bad druids think they're bad because they're bad. There, I said it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you want to roll based on current class balance (highly ill-advised, as stated above, because it's in relatively constant flux and 5.2 is new on PTR and bound to change) then in terms of power:

God Tier:
Disc Priests

Amazing Tier:
Holy Paladins
Resto Shammies

Strong Tier:
Holy Priests

"Average" Tier:
Mistweavers

Bad Tier:
Druids
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
God Tier:
Disc Priests

Amazing Tier:
Holy Paladins
Resto Shammies

Strong Tier:
Holy Priests

"Average" Tier:
Mistweavers

Bad Tier:
Druids

Overhealing tier

druid
druid
druid
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Most useful healer is one that understands that keeping people alive is critical, and that meters are irrelevant unless they can tell you something about how to do a better job of keeping people alive.

Most fun? Personal playstyle preference. Read guides on the class forums or ask around in game to get an idea of what appeals to you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]