How does the Paladin differ from the Warrior?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
So my main is a 90 Fury Warrior. I figured it was time to make an alt...

Making my alt a Paladin has my buds saying that I'm essentially rolling a Warrior 2.0, even though I have planned to make it Holy in the long run.

Is this true for Prot/Ret though? Does it feel totally different than the Warrior's play style?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I mained a warrior during classic, and switched to a paladin at the beginning of TBC, with my warrior remaining a much-played alt ever since. So I feel reasonably qualified to compare the two.

No, paladins are not Warrior 2.0. The playstyle is very different - you don't have charge/leap abilities, you do have offhealing, you have multiple good ranged attacks, you maintain Inquisition, etc. And tanking is even more different.

Some parallels can be drawn, of course, but I can draw parallels to my Mage, too. Paladins and warriors are pretty distinct, both mechanically and in terms of playstyle.
Edited by Ravicana on 1/12/2013 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
88 Human Paladin
We keep getting told that we have more "utility" then other classes, and I guess if you get told the same thing over and over then you may actually start to believe it after a while.

However the main difference between Paladin and warrior is that when we blow every single cooldown, then we do good dps for a few seconds and then we might as well go grab a sandwich while we wait for our next burst.

Warriors on the other hand have good DPS as a baseline and have great dps on burst with less CDs to wait for.

We also get a full heal so we can get pounded to the ground twice in a row instead of just once; while warriors get a kind of "rev limiter" for the amount of damage they take.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We whine and cry a lot more, like little babies, on the forums (read above as an example).

Warriors have cooler xmog armor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
We whine and cry a lot more, like little babies, on the forums (read above as an example).

Coming from a Paladin that looks like the crypt keeper. Tuck your shirt in
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I needed a change from Brutal Gladiator mog set. Felt like a greek statue everywhere I went and after the Kodo-peeing-on-my-leg incident, I didn't want to be a fire hydrant anymore. Just wait till I get my Barrier from BT :p
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the replies.

My first character pre-BC was a Ret Paladin. Doubt I'll ever spec Ret as this one, heals and tanks at the most.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We keep getting told that we have more "utility" then other classes, and I guess if you get told the same thing over and over then you may actually start to believe it after a while.

However the main difference between Paladin and warrior is that when we blow every single cooldown, then we do good dps for a few seconds and then we might as well go grab a sandwich while we wait for our next burst.

Warriors on the other hand have good DPS as a baseline and have great dps on burst with less CDs to wait for.

We also get a full heal so we can get pounded to the ground twice in a row instead of just once; while warriors get a kind of "rev limiter" for the amount of damage they take.

LMAO ^^^^^ All of this.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

LOL what makes you qualified to even post here? 1650 hk's? Ive gotten that many accidently
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sorry OP, you made the mistake of making a post on the pally forums.

The result is a massive gathering of the resident trolls, bad paladins who would rather complain than get better.

Please ignore them.

Anyway. I think pallies and warriors are quite different in terms of gameplay. They're no more similar to each other than any other comparable pair of classes.

Holy is nothing like a warrior, obviously. But Even dps/tank comparisons are not very close. I think the warrior rotations are a bit more simplified compared to rets, but ret isnt overly complicated.

Your post wasnt too specific, but I can say that the feel of the classes are pretty different.

Hope this helped, and have fun as holy. It's a great spec and a nice, refreshing change from a warrior.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

LOL what makes you qualified to even post here? 1650 hk's? Ive gotten that many accidently

It doesn't take hours and hours of random battlegrounds to see the cry-baby posts for what they are.

There's really no point in belittling people for their armory.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
01/12/2013 01:55 PMPosted by Agincourt
The biggest difference is that Warriors will crush Rets like a bug under your shoe

anytime I see you post, im going to quote it, and say you're bad. starting now

you're bad
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Right because we are only allowed to have on toon per account. Right?

I don't pvp on this one. On the others that I have had since 2006? Probably around 20-30 k. Relax madbro, you don't have to be an "UberPwnFaceroll l337 arena player to understand how the game works. Go back to your EJ forum addiction and flame everyone for not being as cool as you.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

Have you ever been to the warrior forums?

Also no, they dont.
Edited by Parsimoniae on 1/13/2013 1:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh hey, misinformation... that never happens here!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/12/2013 11:07 PMPosted by Thermadin
The biggest difference is that Warriors will crush Rets like a bug under your shoe

anytime I see you post, im going to quote it, and say you're bad. starting now

you're bad
I consider this trolling
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]