Paladin buffs... and a Holy Nerf

90 Human Paladin
Ret Buffs

- Retribution now does 50% extra healing with Flash Heal. The Selfless Healer talent has been reduced to 20/40/60% bonus healing.

This should be a buff to self healing... and perhaps a slight buff to off healing for Retribution Selfless Healer. The mechanic should see Retribution gain better self-survival kit coupled with the added healing benefit from PVP power. I am guessing it was buffed to compete with Eternal Flame's self-healing. This is, however, a nerf to Holy... and which ever prot paladins take this.

General QoL change
- Sacred Shield's absorb effect is now dispellable, but the periodic effect is not.

A quality of life change. While I am not sure, I think it means that the sacred shield casted effect should be undispellable, while the absorption shields it periodically generates is. Basically means that we don't have to keep casting the spell, and Mages gain less benefit from it when they use Spell Steal.

Holy Nerf
- Blinding Light has a 1.8 sec cast for Holy only. We think Holy's CC chains are too strong at the moment, but we don't think Ret or Prot need the nerf.

Straight up holy Nerf. While it nerfs Holy, it does actually go a bit of a way to making Ret more appealing in rated PVP.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593740975?page=15#299
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Great. Rogues buffed and we have to hard cast the blind
Reply Quote
Hmm.

So Ret is getting 50% more healing and roughly 10% more healing from PvP power...that's pretty good.

Perhaps we'll see Ret using SS after the selfless healer nerf?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Hmm.

So Ret is getting 50% more healing and roughly 10% more healing from PvP power...that's pretty good.

Actually, If I am correct, Selfless Healer wil still be very useful for ret. We should be seeing a rough 240% healing output from Selfless Healer, compared to the current 205%.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah guys, Selfless healer was not nerfed, more like changed to compensate for the buff to FoL. The numbers look smaller, but the heals will be higher.
Reply Quote
Hmm.

Actually, If I am correct, Selfless Healer wil still be very useful for ret. We should be seeing a rough 240% healing output from Selfless Healer, compared to the current 205%.

Gotcha, that makes sense.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hmm.

Just to be clear it's only flash heal. Not word of glory and that's an important distinction.

Very curious to see what flash heal will heal on ourselves now though. Random guess, but perhaps 80k crits on ourselves?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
My baseline FoL without procs heals for about 33k. With the 45% increase it should be around 50k.

A crit could be 100k (do healing crits do 2x or 1.5x?)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Its a retarded way to nerf Blinding light for Holy pallies if its to "stop long CC chains". Because that cast time will not stop holy pallies from using it on a Hojed or a repentenced target. It will however stop them from using it defensively which I'm sure is the way blizzard intended the ability to be used.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/14/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Maldobarr
Its a retarded way to nerf Blinding light for Holy pallies if its to "stop long CC chains". Because that cast time will not stop holy pallies from using it on a Hojed or a repentenced target. It will however stop them from using it defensively which I'm sure is the way blizzard intended the ability to be used.

Exactly how I see it. You don't open a cc chain with BL is you can help it. You are doing it after someone is already cc'ed. If this is to open the paladin to an interrupt, consider this:

A paladin already has to hardcast repentance, that's easy to hit. Then, all the CC is magic, and can be cleansed, and it's especially detrimental to the paladin if it's done immediately, as he won't have time to react, and allow the target to move out of the very small range BL has.

Now, what happens if a pally is being tunneled by two dps? "Oh, I'm going to hard cast this HOLY CC"

Yea, that's going to work out well. This hurts defensively much more than offensively.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Looks good on paper, cant wait to see how it works in practice. The selfless healer change doesn't affect me because I already use sacred shield (not affected by pvp healing debuff). The sacred shield change if it is only the absorb that can be dispelled, sounds pretty good to me.

Also the pvp power "buff" should be nice, I came back right after they nerfed it, so more buffs for me. I hope to see more love in 5.2.

EDIT:

Just remembered old Blizzard standard practice. Nerf the !@#$ out of something, and then buff it a bit later so everyone is happy with the buffs, instead of being mad it was nerfed at all. :(
Edited by Vod on 1/15/2013 1:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Im happy about the ret healing buff, but the change to blinding light, and the nerf to repent (slightly longer cast time they added) seems like its going to force holy into having to spec fist of justice so they have some sort of reliable non interruptable defensive cc to peel with.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/14/2013 11:06 PMPosted by Arte
Yeah guys, Selfless healer was not nerfed, more like changed to compensate for the buff to FoL. The numbers look smaller, but the heals will be higher.

Well, SH wasn't nerfed really - SH FoL heals will be higher than they were. But non-SH FoLs will also be higher, and SH itself provides less benefit. And with the other two talents both buffed, they could conceivably be more attractive. So SH as a talent pick was arguably nerfed; it's less attractive in both an absolute sense (+60% of 150% is less than +105% of 100%) and relative to the alternatives. But I'm just kinda speculating.

Subjectively I simply like SH best and find the other two awkward for Ret, so I'm happy to just look at it as a buff overall :)

Edit: Upon further consideration, I'm not sure the above reasoning really holds; an instant free FoL is significantly more valuable than hardcasting it, and so a buff to FoL is a buff to SH.
Edited by Ravicana on 1/15/2013 2:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In other news: ret gets a new spell called flash heal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Selfless is still good for the mana cost reduction even at 1 and cast time is still also useful likewise.

You can be a mediocre healer with selfless because you can pump out more flash heals if you judge in between.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/15/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Covahredro
Fixed that for you hehehehehe

lmfao
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
01/15/2013 02:54 AMPosted by Positron
Selfless is still good

Selfless healer is going to be even better in 5.2 because as a ret you can just wait for 3 stacks, Insta-FoL (with the FoL glyph) followed by a 3 stack WoG for a sht-ton of instant healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/15/2013 03:23 AMPosted by Invíncíble
Selfless is still good

Selfless healer is going to be even better in 5.2 because as a ret you can just wait for 3 stacks, Insta-FoL (with the FoL glyph) followed by a 3 stack WoG for a sht-ton of instant healing.

Lol I didn't even think about the fol glyph. I could see 130-150k SELF heals with crits. Problem is crit is low, but it would still be decent.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]