Potential Priest Changes for 5.2

100 Human Priest
The set bonus is following up on their earlier promise to have priests doing more damage, but what a lower cooldown means in pvp is you can use the chastise button more. The cooldown isn't shared with holy word: serenity and holy word: sanctuary, so a lower cooldown is actually a buff to holy's cc/interrupt potential, unless you were already using a cancel aura macro (in which case this change will affect nothing you already didn't have, lol).

And the throughput change to divine aegis for only prayer of healing is the right way to go without affecting pvp, and hopefully takes a jab at aegis stacking in pve. But lowering the cost of PW:S will also lower the sunk cost of that shield before a rapture return. So even with a slight throughput loss to PoH, the amount of mana you'll be swimming in will allow for some "interesting" play. For one, you will still be able to snipe all the heals in LFR with PoH spam if you had more mana. But also, you'll be able to spam more flash heals and pw:s, which to me means you can do a lot more Strength of Soul and (as someone already mentioned) Divine Insight play.

So PVE Disc will be your go to for really threatening mechanics that need absorbs, really heavy tank healing, or dps while healing. Holy will be breaking out of the party restriction aoe, have bigger but longer cooldowns, and will bring the raw throughput. These are my early thoughts, subject to change the more personal testing I do on the ptr.
Edited by Twistedmind on 1/15/2013 2:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
It seems they are also now giving holy priests focused will and making guardian spirit/pain suppression castable while stunned baseline (freeing up a glyph slot). Those are both great changes for holy priests. Priests had way to many PvP glyph choices and there was no reason for holy not to have either focused will or blessed resilience.

I do think the developers are still not understanding an important aspect of holy priest success in cata PvP though. Blessed resilence along with the talent that increased healing when below 50% (both completely gone in MoP) are what made certain abilities extremely effective as a holy priest. Guardian spirit when cast on yourself and desperate prayer both benefited greatly (and really any other heal you cast on yourself). At the very least they also need to buff the guardian spirit proc in PvP so that it actually does something. Currently battle fatigue and mortal strike effects render GS procs next to worthless. Making GS ignore those mechanics would at least make the proc somewhat noticeable (though still wouldn't bring it up to cata standards where it healed you to full basically when it proced).

Edit: For anyone who hadn't seen yet, the updated patch notes are:

Angelic Bulwark Spirit Shell can no longer be dispelled.
For Shadow, this ability causes Mind Flay to gain the Insanity effect when it's cast on a target with 3 Shadow damage-over-time spells on them. Insanity causes Mind Flay to deal double damage for the duration.
Devouring Plague now deals its damage evenly through its duration.
Focused Will is now a passive for Holy priests as well as Discipline priests.
Flash Heal healing has been reduced by 30%. A new passive (available at level 10) increases Flash Heal healing by 43% for Holy and Discipline Priests.
Power Word: Solace has been replace with a new talent: Solace & Insanity.

For Holy and Discpline, Power Word: Solace replaces Holy Fire. It deals the same damage, and interacts with other spells and abilities in the same manner, but is instant, costs no mana, and restores 1% of maximum mana on each cast.

Glyph of Desperation has been replaced with Glyph of Binding Heal. Pain Suppression and Guardian Spirit can now always be cast while stunned.
New Glyph: Glyph of Binding Heal applies Binding Heal a third nearby friendly target, but costs 35% more mana.
Glyph of Inner Focus has been replaced with Glyph of Weakened Soul. Casting Inner Focus now always grants 5 seconds of immunity to Silence, Interrupts, and Dispels.
New Glyph: Glyph of Weakened Soul reduces the duration of Weakened Soul by 2 seconds.
Discipline

Penance damage and healing has been increased by 20%.
Rapture now reduces the cost of Power Word: Shield by 25% 50% and provides mana equal to 150% 250% (was 200%) of the Priest's Spirit, but no longer benefits from Spirit provided by short-duration bonuses.
Divine Aegis is no longer guaranteed when Prayer of Healing is cast. The effect now procs when the spell crits.

The 2-piece Holy/Discipline PvP set bonus is now the previous Holy Spark 4-piece bonus, instead of Diamond Soul.
The 4-piece Holy/Discipline PvP set bonus has been redesigned. It now reduces the cooldown of Chakra by 25 seconds. When Spirit Shell is active the mana cost of Flash Heal is reduced by 50%.
Edited by Irate on 1/17/2013 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Is it just me or doesn't anyone notice the fact that from a pvp healer stand point, priests are the most underpowered in terms of utility? Other healers like Palys and Shamans have forms of Stuns/ silences and usefull CC that lets them cast or free up to do what ever they please while priests have nothing like that. If we fear, mobs have to be on top of us and most classes have a way of breaking fear with out using a trink. MC might work however we areuseless in the process. PVP damage output is so bad that its pointless to do. If there is a warrior or rogue on me Im toast. I run outa mana trying to keep myself alive never mind anyone else. Maybe this is why I go shadow now. However.....Shad doesnt provide the CC talents that come close to any other class in the game.
Should blizz maybe look into DR on silences and freeze effects and at the very least freeze effects. To long on dispel CD to even make it close. Frost mage VS shad or Disc priest = 4 sec window in 32 sec to cast. Anyone have a strat for that crap?
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
Can someone explain why Disc gets an additional mana regen tool (Rapture) while holy does not? I feel slightly starved playing holy and feel it could use some attention. At least in Cata there was the increased regen from spirit (I think?).
Edited by Isobellá on 1/23/2013 9:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 09:34 PMPosted by Isobellá
Can someone explain why Disc gets an additional mana regen tool (Rapture) while holy does not? I feel slightly starved playing holy and feel it could use some attention. At least in Cata there was the increased regen from spirit (I think?).

Yes, Cambria, there was. I believe the reason is that they want Disc to cast PW: Shield. And that our overall heals are weaker, so we have to spam ours more. Or something. :)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 09:34 PMPosted by Isobellá

Well, as of MoP, it wasn't supposed to be a regen tool. It was supposed to be a partial refund to allow Disc to support casting PWS regularly but not spamming it. That was the justification for allowing Disc to keep it when they deleted all the other class-specific regen outside of CDs.

That obviously didn't work out too well. Every time they decided to notice Disc's issues in beta and the first few months of live, they buffed Rapture. First they made it scale with Spirit, then they made it bigger, and bigger, and bigger again. No idea why. Disc's problem was never having less mana than the other healers, it was the inability to use the mana we did have as effectively as others. We complained about output and efficiency, they buffed regen.

They really need to go back to their initial idea of making it a static %mana return. That wasn't going to work back when holy priests still had Spirit scaling Holy Concentration, but when they deleted that, they should have deleted Rapture Spirit scaling too. And then actually fixed Disc's output issues. It was early beta, there was a ton of time.

But...nope. I hear live hotfixes are a better way to balance.
Edited by Kaels on 1/23/2013 10:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
01/23/2013 10:36 PMPosted by Kaels
That obviously didn't work out too well. Every time they decided to notice Disc's issues in beta and the first few months of live, they buffed Rapture. First they made it scale with Spirit, then they made it bigger, and bigger, and bigger again. No idea why. Disc's problem was never having less mana than the other healers, it was the inability to use the mana we did have as effectively as others. We complained about output and efficiency, they buffed regen.

There was a period of time in the beta, I recall, where they halved Disc's regen from meditation. I don't remember when that got patched out, but earlier iterations were likely balancing around that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 10:46 PMPosted by Skootalloo
There was a period of time in the beta, I recall, where they halved Disc's regen from meditation. I don't remember when that got patched out, but earlier iterations were likely balancing around that.

I remember that.

The problem was, Disc couldn't function with Meditation half of everyone else's. Not with the level of gear we had prior to raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
>_O

Prayer of Healing almost exclusively because it's the only aoe heal and because of that has become an all-in-one solution to your healing needs.

This.
I personally hate PoM and dont think its all that reliable. Cant blame us for spamming PoH when every other class gets quite a few more aoe heals then we do.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
People keep forgetting that some of these changes are for pvp. Spirit shell now being undispellabe and causes flash heal to cost 50% less is a pvp buff. Spirit shell in arenas right now gets immediately dispelled, and depletes your mana pool so much it's just not worth it.

Also disc priests lack throughput in pvp hence the buff to penance.

They nerfed divine aegis in a way that majorly effects pve but doesn't effect pvp at all since PoH is practically worthless is pvp.

I don't really pve at all, but I'm very excited for these changes in pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
The 4 piece bonus is better suited for Raiding than for PvP for Holy priests. In PvP, it is not offering me anything I can't already do. Cancel aura>chastise>back to Serenity. Chakra Sanc is useless in PvP, IMO. Never use it. Chakra Chastise only offers a damage buff; if it offered a longer disorient than the disorient I can do while not in ANY Chakra, I could live with that, but meh. It is giving me no incentive to switch since I am not primarily dealing damage. I will likely miss Diamond Soul (current 2 set bonus)

Focused Will and glyph changes are good. Like 'em.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/23/2013 10:46 PMPosted by Skootalloo

Yeah, when they originally buffed Rapture to scale with Spirit, they chopped Meditation in half. Then they realized the spec was still non-functional, so they buffed Meditation again. (40% initially iirc, then up to 50%.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I've long held that the best fix for Chakra is deleting it. I can't really say that I find anything useful in the new holy pvp 4 set. Holy word: mana burn (the ground aoe heal if it wasn't obvious) isn't really even useful in 10 man raiding for anything other than destroying mana pool longevity. The drop serenity to chastise and go back was already available as has been pointed out.

Any pvp "buffs" that have healers using damage spells need to really have a look at the pvp power situation for healers. Healers get half the effect of damage dealers for healing spells and no effect for damaging spells. All the damage out there and all the healing reductions make me excited about resilience. Pvp power just doesn't sound fun. As people get more gear, this becomes a larger and larger penalty on healers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I need to do the math on going holy with pvp 4 set and doing chakra serenity -> hw:serenity, binding, binding, renew -> chakra sanctuary PoH, mending proc if up, CoH, mending repeat + using divine star or cascade in sanctuary whenever it's up.

That sure sounds like a billion hps.
Edited by Amabella on 1/24/2013 10:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I need to do the math on going holy with pvp 4 set and doing chakra serenity -> hw:serenity, binding, binding, renew -> chakra sanctuary PoH, mending proc if up, CoH, mending repeat + using divine star or cascade in sanctuary whenever it's up.

That sure sounds like a billion hps.

It does sound like a lot of healing, but I'm pretty sure you would be interrupted, cc'd, silenced, etc, somewhere within that sequence. Being caught in Sanctuary Chakra could very likely mean certain death. I wouldn't risk it unless I was in a situation where there wasn't a lot of pressure and I was able to free cast.

IMO, this 4-set bonus is useless for PvP Holy.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
It's like the PVP 4-piece bonus and the PVE 2-piece bonus are on the wrong set of armor entirely.
Edited by Ticktacktick on 1/26/2013 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It does sound like a lot of healing, but I'm pretty sure you would be interrupted, cc'd, silenced, etc, somewhere within that sequence. Being caught in Sanctuary Chakra could very likely mean certain death. I wouldn't risk it unless I was in a situation where there wasn't a lot of pressure and I was able to free cast.

IMO, this 4-set bonus is useless for PvP Holy.

I was actually referring to using the PVP 4 set in PVE, although that doesn't sound horrible in rbgs either.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
01/25/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Flaxxen
IMO, this 4-set bonus is useless for PvP Holy

I was pretty baffled by this change, as well. As my priest is my alt, I thought I was missing something here but I guess not.

It's almost as if Blizzard doesn't PvP and knows nothing about PvP in their own game.. almost.... (sarcasm!)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/24/2013 01:36 AMPosted by Livetune
I personally hate PoM and dont think its all that reliable. Cant blame us for spamming PoH when every other class gets quite a few more aoe heals then we do.

All else being equal, ProM and PoH are relatively well balanced. ProM has higher potential hps/hpm, but more narrow optimal use conditions.

With Discipline, 'all else' is not equal. The auto-DA on PoH effectively renders ProM worthless even in situations like pulsed AE where it should shine.

Removing the auto-DA on PoH brings the balance back - and means you'll probably have to swallow your distaste and start using ProM as Discipline.

01/26/2013 10:22 AMPosted by Amabella
I was actually referring to using the PVP 4 set in PVE, although that doesn't sound horrible in rbgs either.

It's a tough choice since the PvP 4-piece means not taking the PvE 2-piece (more importantly, it means I'd have to break down and regular PvP - the nuisance value of which prejudices me against the idea of the PvP 4-piece being PvE viable).

However, dropping the cooldown to 5 sec opens up far more than just boosting AE healing. Post-5.2, FDCL will probably the preferred tier 3 talent for Holy Priests due to the glyph of Binding Heal. FDCL also procs from Smite. So you can drop into Chastise, proc FDCL a few times, Flash Heal a few times, pop back and you've got 2 free Flash Heals and a 20% discounted GH/PoH for nearly no mana.

Currently, this sort of scheme requires a lull of 30 secs to pull off (and is tough to manage around the durations on those procs). Reducing that time constraint to 5 secs means that if there's ever any sort of lull in damage, you get a flood of mana reduction.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Well keep in mind you also get what is the new pvp 2 piece - giant hw:serenity / flash / gheals on the tanks if you start mending on them.

The thing most likely to make this non viable will be the item level difference. However, it takes an awful lot of item levels to make up for being in the correct chakra essentially 100% of the time in a 10man.

Definitely want to try it on PTR at some point.
Edited by Amabella on 1/27/2013 11:54 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]