5.4 WW PvE Guide: Dance of the White Tiger

90 Pandaren Monk
**Up to date for 5.4**

**Rune of Re-origination is now Garbage**

Please keep in mind this is not a leveling guide, if there is a large amount of interest for one I will add in a section for it.

Table of Contents:
1) Introduction
2) Play style
3) Stat Weights & Gemming
4) Spell Priority
a) Abbreviations
b) Priority
c) Explanation
5) Talents & Glyphs
a) Talent Choice
b) Glyph usage
6) Video References
7) Personal Tips and Tricks

1) Introduction
First of all, this guide is intended for PvE and will be aimed around the idea of doing maximum damage, I'm writing this due to the general lack of information on Windwalkers available on the forum. I currently play Windwalker for my guild (Dread), and I guess most people would assume this means I play at a fairly high level, and know what I'm doing. However I'm not perfect, and never will be, so if you spot something that is blatantly wrong, or if there are some inconsistencies in the guide that I happened to overlook please feel free to point them out (if you opt to point something out as being wrong please be prepared to provide proof and/or sources). If you have questions regarding the spec, or how you are doing or even an "Am I doing this right" question, feel free to post here and ask. If you would like me to go through logs and try to help you out there, please feel free to post them here, and I will go through them when I have some spare time (and I'm sure some other members of the community would be happy to do so as well).

2) Playstyle
Windwalker is the melee DPS spec for monks, and utilizes martial arts in order to deal damage as well as avoid it. We deal damage through energy and chi usage, spending energy to deal small amounts of damage and generate chi and spending chi to deal higher damaging attacks. This is a very in your face spec that does very consistent damage while on target, and very little when off. Due to this playing a Windwalker requires that the player puts as much effort into remaining on their primary dps target to ensure the maximum amount of damage possible. The spec has little damage capabilities from ranged, and chi generation while off of a target is very minimal and fairly RNG based.

In short we're the first energy based class that generates our combo points on ourselves, and can spend them on any enemy we wish. If we're forced off our target for any reason, we can't really actively deal deal damage to them, particularly if we do not have any chi to spend. We have to manage 2 resources to deal damage, and doing so well will net high results.

3)Stat Weights:

Please keep in mind that these Stat Weights are very rough figures, if you want to know the exact stat values for your character then you need to download Simcraft (http://simulationcraft.org/) and run the values for yourself.

In order to sim your own stat weights, import your character into simcraft (Import->Battle.net>search your character->Click Import) and then go to options. Once you have selected the options tab go into the scaling tab located in options and select Agility, Haste, Critical Strike, Mastery, you also want to have the Use Positive Deltas only box checked. If you are already over the hit and expertise caps you do not need to simulate the weights on these.

Hit Cap: 7.5% (2550 rating)
Expertise Cap: 7.5%

Stat weights are pretty basic for Windwalkers.
Dual Wield:
Agi > Hit/Exp cap > Haste (between 5 and 7k) > Crit > Mastery

If using a 2 handed weapon

Agility > Hit/Exp cap > Haste (5-7kish) > Crit > Mastery

Once you have obtained the T16 4p you will find that mastery overtakes crit in value, with things looking like this:

Agility > Hit/Exp cap > Haste (5-7kish) > Mastery > Crit

Gemming:
Red: Delicate (+160 Agility)
Orange: Deft (+80 Agility,+160 Haste) Adept (+80 Agi, +160 Mastery)
Purple: Glinting (+80 Agility,+160 Hit)

For the most part it's rarely worth hitting a socket bonus, unless it offers 80+ agility since our secondaries are not worth half of the EP that agility is. If you won't get the equivalent amount of agility from gemming pure agility by gemming with mixed gems, it's probably not worthwhile.

Enchantments:
Shoulder - Greater Tiger Claw Inscription ( +200 Agility, +100 Critical Strike)
Chest - Glorious Stats (+80 stats)
Back - Superior Critical Strike ( +180 Critical Strike), or if you're struggling with the hit cap Accuracy (+ 180 hit )
Bracers - Greater Agility (+180 Agility)
Gloves - Haste (+170 Haste), if you're struggling with the expertise cap Superior Expertise (+170 Expertise)
Waist - Living Steel Belt Buckle
Pants - Shadowleather Leg Armor
Feet - Blurred speed (+140 Agility, and increased run speed), If you feel the run speed enchant is too expensive use Greater Haste ( +175 Haste), or if you still can't meet the hit cap use Greater Precision (+175 hit). Blurred speed is the strongest of these 3 enchants.

Weapon Enchants:
These are listed in order of best to worse, please keep in mind that double Dancing Steel is the ideal set up.

Dancing Steel - Has a chance to increase your Agility by 1650
Windsong - Has a chance to increase your Critical Strike, Haste or Mastery by 1500
Elemental Force - Enchants a weapon to deal 2775-3225

3) Spell Priority

3a) Abbreviations
While Windwalkers do not have a large amount of spells in our primary priority I will be providing a list of abbreviations to aid people in understanding forum babble.

DW: Dual Wield
2H: 2 Handed Weapon

Damaging Abilities
RsK: Rising Sun Kick
BoK: Blackout Kick
TP: Tiger Palm
SFB: Spinning Fire Blossom
CJL: Crackling Jade Lightning
TeB: Tigereye Brew
ScK: Spinning Crane Kick
FoF: Fists of Fury
ToD: Touch of Death
EB: Energizing Brew
ShS: Spear Hand Strike
EH: Expel Harm

Personal Cooldowns:
FB: Fortifying brew (generally referred to as Fort brew)
ToK: Touch of Karma
ZM: Zen Meditation
AH: Avert Harm
DM: Diffuse Magic
Edited by Endangered on 9/18/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
3b)Spell Priority
Single Target:
-Use Tiger Palm to put the armor penetration buff up on yourself (lasts 20 seconds)
-Apply the Rising Sun Kick debuff to your main target
-Use Invoke Xuen
-Use Tigereye Brew if it is at 10+ stacks
-Use Fists of Fury if you won't haste cap during the duration, Rising Sun Kick won't come off of cooldown, and the Tiger Palm buff won't fall off
-Use Chi Wave- Only use this if you won't Energy Cap, or chi cap in an effort to prevent energy capping.
-Use Blackout Kick - This is your filler skill, if the above conditions have been met dump your chi into spamming this ability

AoE:
-Apply SEF Clones if you will be aoeing for longer than 10-15 seconds
-Apply the Tiger Palm buff to yourself
-Apply the Rising Sun Kick debuff to the group
-Use Tigereye Brew if it is at 10+ stacks
-Use Invoke Xuen (Fight Dependent)
-Spinning Crane Kick (if you have taken Rushing Jade Wind use it then carry on with your single target rotation)

3c) Spell Usage Explanation

Single Target DPS:
At the start of the fight you want to open up by using Tiger Palm, Tiger Palm by itself does very minimal amounts of damage but it applies a buff to you that grants 30% armor penetration. Not only does this affect your damage done by your big nukes (Rising Sun Kick and Fists of Fury) but it increases the damage done by auto-attack, this is a buff that you also want to maintain 100% up time on. Once Tiger Palm has been applied to yourself follow up by applying the Rising Sun Kick debuff to the boss, Rising Sun Kick is one of the harder hitting spells in the Windwalker bag of tricks. Not only does this ability hit like a bus, but it applies a debuff to your target that causes them to take 10% more damage from your abilities. You want to have a 100% up time on this debuff, and should be hitting it every time it comes off cool down (8 seconds), the debuff lasts for 15 seconds, so keeping it up should be a non-issue. Once you've applied your main debuff and buff you need to start looking at your Tigereye Brew stacks, you gain 1 stack every time you spend 3 chi and once you have reached 10+ stacks you need to burn them or risk having some go to waste. If you wish to use stacks at an earlier time it's not a particularly big deal, as long as you're going to have up time on your target for the duration of the use.

Now we get to the filler of the rotation, Fists of Fury and Blackout Kick. While Fists of Fury is not something that is spammable, it is on a relatively short cooldown [25 seconds (20 seconds with T14 2p)] and should be used as often as possible. However there are some conditions that need to be met before you use it, Rising Sun Kick needs to be on cool down and it should ideally should have enough time for you to fully channel Fists. You need to know that you won't energy cap during the fist channel, and you want to ensure that the Tiger Palm debuff will not fall off of you during the channel. If these conditions are not met and Fists of Fury is used anyways, you may see a dps loss (small to large), depending on how often it's used outside of these conditions. If Fists of Fury is on cooldown or the circumstances I just described can not be met, just use Blackout Kick, as it is our primary filler move.

Energizing Brew: I wanted to keep this separate from the main body of text since it's a rather odd ability that doesn't really fall into the priority system. Energizing Brew is our version of Adrenaline Rush, and provides increased energy returns for the duration. Energizing Brew is something that should be used as often as possible, provided you won't energy cap. Generally the ideal time to use it is if you're bottomed out on energy and don't have much/any chi pooled. This is an ability that you just need to get into the flow of using, and not be afraid to use, don't pop it when you're at half energy with a full chi bar.

AoE DPS
If the aoe or cleave targets will be up longer than 10-15 seconds place up to two SEF clones and then continue with your aoe rotation on a separate target (remember that SEF clones won't do single target attacks if you are targeting the same target as them). Rising Sun Kick's debuff will apply to all enemy targets within a roughly 8 meter circle around your target, so putting up RsK before proceeding to AoE will increase your damage done to all the targets you manage to hit. To go with this you still want to have the Tiger Palm armor penetration buff up, and you want to maintain this as well as the RsK debuff for the duration of the AoE. If you have stacks of Tigereye Brew available feel free to use them, you do not generate and spend chi as fast as in your single target rotation, so keep that in mind. Once you've applied your buffs/debuffs use Spinning Crane Kick, if you hit 3+ targets with it you will generate 1 chi for every use. If you are in a situation where you have taken Rushing Jade wind, continue with your single target rotation while ensuring that you conserve enough energy to refresh the buff.

Energizing Brew: In an AoE situation you should not find yourself energy starved enough to warrant using this ability, save it for when you get to return to your single target rotation.

4) Talents & Glyphs

4a) Talents
Tier 1) I) Celerity: Allows you to roll and Chi Torpedo more often and increases their maximum number of charges by 1 and reduces their cool down by 5 seconds.
II) Tiger's Lust: Instantly clears the target of all immobilizing and movement impairing effects and increases their run speed by 70% for 6 sec.
III) Momentum: Every time you Roll or Chi Torpedo, your movement speed is increased by 25% for 10 sec. Stacks up to 2 times

Recommendation: Talent choice for this tier is purely up to the situation you're in, Tiger's Lust can be useful for certain situations where someone needs to be given a targeted run speed increase. If you aren't in a situation like that then feel free to just pick the talent you like most, I personally prefer Celerity.

Tier 2) I) Chi Wave: You cause a wave of Chi energy to flow through friend and foe, dealing 124 Nature damage or 288 healing. Bounces up to 7 times to the nearest targets within 20 yards. When bouncing to allies, Chi Wave will prefer those injured over full health.

II)Zen Sphere: Forms a Zen Sphere above the target, healing the target for 126 and dealing 41 Nature damage to the nearest enemy within 10 yards of the target every 2 sec for 16 sec. Only one Zen Sphere can be summoned at any one time. If Zen Sphere is cast again while active, the Zen Sphere will detonate, dealing 144 Nature damage and 338 healing to all targets within 10 yards.

III)Chi Burst: You summon a torrent of Chi energy and hurl it forward, up to 40, dealing Nature damage to all enemies, and healing to all allies in its path. Chi Burst will always heal the Monk. While casting Chi Burst, you continue to dodge, parry, and auto-attack.

Recommendation: Talent choice here is pretty straightforward, if you are in a single target situation go Chi Wave and try to use it on cooldown, if you are in a situation with fairly steady aoe and 8+ targets, go with Chi Burst, keep in mind that chi burst now works like Spinning Fire Blossom and is an aimed shot.

Tier 3) I)Power Strikes: Every 20 sec, you gain Power Strikes, causing your next Jab, Soothing Mist, Spinning Crane Kick or Crackling Jade Lightning to generate 1 additional Chi. If you are already at maximum Chi, a Chi Sphere will be summoned near you.

II) Ascension: Increases your maximum Chi by 1, your maximum mana by 15%, and your energy regen by 15%.

III) Chi Brew: Instantly restores all of your Chi, and instantly generates 2 stacks of TeB - has 2 charges and has a 45 second recharge rate

Recommendation: Talent selection in this tier is pretty clear cut, Ascension provides the highest amount of chi gained in comparison to the other talents. With that said, Power strikes will beat Ascension if you're in a situation where you are spending large amounts of time off of the boss. Chi brew would only be good in a serious burst situation such as Heroic Spine from Dragon Soul.

Tier 4) I) Ring of Peace: Forms a sanctuary around the friendly target, causing all nearby enemies within 8 yards to be disarmed and nearby enemy players unable to auto-attack. In addition, enemies who cast a harmful spell within the ring become silenced for 3 sec. Ring of Peace lasts for 8 sec.

II) Charging Ox Wave: A mighty Ox effigy rushes forward 30 yards in front of you, stunning all enemies within its path for 3 sec.

III) Leg Sweep: You knock down all enemies within 5 yards, effectively stunning them for 5 sec.

Recommendation: This tier is again a tier where your selection will not matter too much.

Tier 5) I) Healing Elixirs:Every 18 sec, you gain Healing Elixirs, causing your next Brew or Tea to also heal you for 10% of your total health.

II) Dampen Harm: You dampen the damage from the most harmful attacks done to you. The next 3 attacks within 45 sec that deal damage equal to 20% or more of your total health are reduced in half.

III) Diffuse Magic: Reduces all spell damage taken by 90% and clears all magical effects on you, reversing them back to their original caster if within 40 yards if possible. Lasts for 6 sec.

Recommendation: So this tier is one where you need to swap between talents on a fight by fight basis, if you're in a situation where there is heavy magic damage going out then Diffuse Magic is likely going to be the stronger talent, if the aoe damage going out is physical or will come out in waves that will last longer than 6 seconds you should likely go for Dampen Harm. Healing Elixirs in its current state is not worth using.

Tier 6) I)Rushing Jade Wind: You summon a whirling tornado around you which deals damage to all nearby enemies every 0.66 second, within 8 yards. Generates 1 Chi, if it hits at least 3 targets. Lasts 5.30 sec. Replaces Spinning Crane Kick

II) Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger: Invokes the White Tiger Celestial, summoning an effigy at the command of the caster. The effigy will assist you, attacking your primary target and also inflicting tiger lightning every 6 sec to 3 nearby enemies within 10 yards dealing 1605 damage over 5 sec. Lasts for 45 sec.

III) Chi Torpedo: Torpedo a distance in front of you, dealing 1671 to 1941 Nature damage to all enemies and 8408 healing to all allies in your path. Chi Torpedo replaces Roll.

Recommendation: This tier is pretty clear cut, use Invoke Xuen unless you have a fight where there will doing a decent amount of aoe. If there is more than a small amount of AoE required you are better off swapping over to Rushing Jade Wind.

Conclusion:

Tier 1: Your choice

Tier 2: Your choice, unless there is an aoe situation with 14+ mobs

Tier 3:Ascension, unless you are spending large amounts of time off the boss then Power Strikes takes over

Tier 4: Your choice

Tier 5: Dampen harm if physical damage or extended incoming damage, Diffuse Magic if large spikes of magic damage.

Tier 6: Invoke Xuen for single target, Rushing Jade Wind for fights with decent amounts of aoe.

Glyphs:

Im going to list all the relevant Windwalker glyphs here and then make suggestions, as there are no required Major glyphs for raiding. However there is a minor glyph that I would describe as required.

*Required Glyphs*
Glyph of Blackout Kick: Your Blackout Kick always deals 20% additional damage over 4 sec regardless of positioning but you're unable to trigger the healing effect.

Relevant Major Glyphs
Glyph of Afterlife: Increases the chance to summon a Healing Sphere when you kill an enemy while gaining experience or honor by 25%.

Glyph of Fists of Fury: When channeling Fists of Fury, your parry chance is increased by 100%.

Glyph of Fortifying Brew: Your Fortifying Brew reduces damage taken by an additional 5%, but increases your health by 10% rather than 20%.

Glyph of Retreat:When you Roll or Chi Torpedo, all threat is temporarily reduced for 10 sec.

Glyph of Sparring: While Sparring, you also have a 5% chance to deflect spells from attackers in front of you, stacking up to 3 times.

Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick: You move at full speed while channeling Spinning Crane Kick.

Glyph of Stoneskin:When you use Fortifying Brew, all bleed damage taken is reduced by 20% while active.

Glyph of Touch of Death: Your Touch of Death no longer has a Chi cost, but the cooldown is increased by 2 minutes.

Glyph of Touch of Karma:Your Touch of Karma now has a 20 yard range.

Glyph Zen Meditation: You can now channel Zen Meditation while moving.

Glyph of Expel Harm:Increases the range of your Expel Harm by 10 yards.

Suggested Glyphs:

Glyph of Spinning Crane Kick: This is a great AoE glyph

Glyph of Touch of Karma: this increases the utility of ToK by a ton, and is a personal favorite of mine

Glyph of Fortifying Brew: This increases the damage reduction gained from Fortifying Brew, at a cost of the health gain. I like to use this glyph

Glyph of Retreat: This is our only potential threat drop, so if you find yourself riding high on the threat meter this can be useful

Glyph of Zen Meditation: While Zen Meditation is a cool down that isn't used often, being able to reposition while channeling it can be huge

Glyph of Touch of Death: This glyph should be on the bottom of your priority list for glyphs since it increases your ToD's cooldown greatly. It's really only worth using on single target fights for sniping killing blows and not having to worry about your chi levels.
Edited by Endangered on 9/19/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Dual Wield vs 2 Handed Weapons
Way of the Monk
The Monk attunes himself differently depending on the weapon type.

Dual-wield one-handed weapons
Autoattack damage increased by 40%.

Two-handed weapons
Melee attack speed increased by 40%.

For the most part Dual Wielding is stronger than using a 2 Handed weapon, however as you gear up you may run into times where you find a stave or pole arm that seems like it may be better than your DW set up. The main reason that DW will generally be the better set up is because of how well we scale with weapon damage. As I've listed the Way of the Monk, you can see we gain an increased Autoattack damage by 40% for Dual Wielding. This results in a better scale factor for our passive damage, which is also a fairly large source of our damage. The general rule of thumb is that if the ilevel of the 2H is higher than the MH for your Dual Wield set up, then the 2H item is stronger.

Videos
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Stuntyz?feature=mhee

This has videos for every heroic outside of Mogu'Shan Vaults, with all of them being first kills.

Tips and Tricks
Coming Soon!
Edited by Endangered on 1/20/2013 6:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
reserved
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
reserved
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
That should be enough but this is for just in case
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Reserved for trolling.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Hey there cutie
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Reserved and marked to check back later, looking forward to it! Hopefully this will clear up all the IS WW GOOD DPS LOL FOTM posts.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Things still need editing and might look/read oddly but this is good enough to start putting out to the community while I continue to edit
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Sticky!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
spotted a few things I definitely need to add in, but it will have to wait for after work today

bump!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
inb4 stickied before mine
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
01/17/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Chillbros
inb4 stickied before mine

^^
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Bump, sticky requested.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Actually the weights for 2H WW should be: Hit (7.5%) > Agi > Exp > Haste > Crit > Mastery
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Stat weights for you:

Agi: 1.00, Crit: 0.42, Haste: 0.50, Mastery: 0.36

Stat weights for Heroic Best in Slot (2H) Profile on Simcraft:

Agi:1.00, Crit: 0.45, Haste: 0.41, Mastery 0.28, Attack Power: 0.38

So in fact you are right, in your situation haste is slightly stronger than crit. However what your point does here is that to get true stat weights people NEED to sim their own characters, because stat weights DO CHANGE depending on gear level.

Edit: I guess bump because adding more sections, including how to simulate personal stat weights
Edited by Endangered on 1/17/2013 9:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Really love what you are doing endangered. Cant wait to see the personal stat weight sims, something I've been looking for help on for a while.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Monk
The name feels like an innuendo.

And surprised this isn't stickied yet. It really should be.

Also reserving a spot so I don't have to double post after I re-read your post.

You COULD go into a bit more detail on why DW is better then smacking things with your staff. Is it better scaling? Is it higher AA damage? Is it because two weapons is greater then 1 weapon?

And I'm not quite sure I agree with your suggestions for gems. I'd daresay that going heavy haste initially and shifting into agility heavy gemming would work better then going straight agility right off the bat. I suppose it depends on factors though.

In regards to enchants, would double Dancing Steel yield more DPS then Dancing Steel/Windsong? Or did the (semi) recent change to their RPPM systems shift the weight to double DS?

Otherwise, no other immediate questions.
Edited by Beifong on 1/18/2013 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
01/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Beifong
The name feels like an innuendo.

You should see his name for MW

01/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Beifong
Or did the (semi) recent change to their RPPM systems shift the weight to double DS?

It did.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]