5.4 WW PvE Guide: Dance of the White Tiger

90 Pandaren Monk
bump
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Requested this as a sticky because I have to go through other peoples forum questions just to find this link!

Even though a 2h has over 100 more agil over DWing - we should still go with dual wielding? I have 1 463 staff, and 2 463 weapons to use for DWing, but I would lose over 100 agil using them. Is it better to enchant and DW? That's what I'm stuck at (Fairly new WW, always been a MW).
Reply Quote
For the most part Dual Wielding is stronger than using a 2 Handed weapon, however as you gear up you may run into times where you find a stave or pole arm that seems like it may be better than your DW set up. The main reason that DW will generally be the better set up is because of how well we scale with weapon damage. As I've listed the Way of the Monk, you can see we gain an increased Autoattack damage by 40% for Dual Wielding. This results in a better scale factor for our passive damage, which is also a fairly large source of our damage. The general rule of thumb is that if the ilevel of the 2H is higher than the MH for your Dual Wield set up, then the 2H item is stronger.

I have a question about this. I have been using Spear of Xuen (upgraded) for ages, but today I just got Gara'kal, Fist of the Spiritbinder. The only off hand I can really use to go with it right now is Ner'onok's Razor Katar. Should I use the duel wielding since you do say only the main hand item level really matters, or should I stick with spear of xuen til I get a second fist weapon that isn't a pitiful heroic item?

When I equip the fist weapons, my damage stat on character info goes down by about 4k..
Edited by Kenshimoo on 2/7/2013 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
@ kenshimoo i may not be the OP but i would strongly recomend the garakal /w neronoks over spear of xuen the only reason i have found 2h to be ontop of DW this tier is if you dont have a 1h sha wep available. which is the current reason im using the staff from tsulong
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
02/07/2013 12:29 PMPosted by Kenshimoo
For the most part Dual Wielding is stronger than using a 2 Handed weapon, however as you gear up you may run into times where you find a stave or pole arm that seems like it may be better than your DW set up. The main reason that DW will generally be the better set up is because of how well we scale with weapon damage. As I've listed the Way of the Monk, you can see we gain an increased Autoattack damage by 40% for Dual Wielding. This results in a better scale factor for our passive damage, which is also a fairly large source of our damage. The general rule of thumb is that if the ilevel of the 2H is higher than the MH for your Dual Wield set up, then the 2H item is stronger.

I have a question about this. I have been using Spear of Xuen (upgraded) for ages, but today I just got Gara'kal, Fist of the Spiritbinder. The only off hand I can really use to go with it right now is Ner'onok's Razor Katar. Should I use the duel wielding since you do say only the main hand item level really matters, or should I stick with spear of xuen til I get a second fist weapon that isn't a pitiful heroic item?

When I equip the fist weapons, my damage stat on character info goes down by about 4k..

Generally you wanna use what's higher ilevel, so if [(476 + 463)/2] is greater than the upgraded Spear at 471, then yeah, use the DW.

Heck, the AA damage from Dualwielding might still eclipse the 2hander.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/07/2013 12:29 PMPosted by Kenshimoo

That dual wield set up is definitely better, especially since you can easily upgrade your offhand up to 471.

Requested this as a sticky because I have to go through other peoples forum questions just to find this link!

Even though a 2h has over 100 more agil over DWing - we should still go with dual wielding? I have 1 463 staff, and 2 463 weapons to use for DWing, but I would lose over 100 agil using them. Is it better to enchant and DW? That's what I'm stuck at (Fairly new WW, always been a MW).

2 463 1h weapons > 463 2h weapon
Reply Quote
Thanks to all three of you.

Now if only fist weapons weren't so wonky. :/ My armory pose has it clipping into my leg!!!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Now if only fist weapons weren't so wonky. :/ My armory pose has it clipping into my leg!!!

It's a minor bug, it's using the right hand "animation" ( I have no idea what the word I'm looking for is, but it isn't that one) in the left hand. It's probably really low on their list of stuff to fix.
Reply Quote

It's a minor bug, it's using the right hand "animation" ( I have no idea what the word I'm looking for is, but it isn't that one) in the left hand. It's probably really low on their list of stuff to fix.

Yeah, though I also hate how fist weapons don't even show up for me in combat. *shrug*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
so why isnt this a sticky yet????!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm trying to simC out 2 different sets of weapons, but i'm having some trouble. I have the 489 polearm off Spirit Kings and the simC with 2 upgrades for it looks like thjs

main_hand=screaming_tiger_qiangs_unbreakable_polearm,id=86071,enchant=windsong,reforge=mastery_crit,upgrade=2

Now I have the 489 fist off Gara'kal with 2 upgrades and ATM, I want to see what the dps difference would be with the off hand as 483 Claws of Shek'zeer + the Crystallized Dread gem Vs the fully upgraded polearm. Would I be looking at something like this?

off_hand=claws_of_shek'zeer,id=86864,enchant=windsong,reforge=exp_haste,upgrade=2

But where do I put the 500 agi Crystallized Dead gem at? With the weapon or the Gear Summary?

PS: Reason for doing it is where to spend my valor and extra rolls, I need to simC out my options.

off_hand=claws_of_shek'zeer,id=86864,gems=500agi,enchant=windsong,reforge=exp_haste,upgrade=2

if you want to add more gems to the profile (like if you have the prismatic socket) go
_160agi
or
_80agi_160haste

so it would look like
off_hand=claws_of_shek'zeer,id=86864,gems=500agi_160agi,enchant=windsong,reforge=exp_haste,upgrade=2
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
guess I'll have to tackle a 5.2 update in the next week or so, in the mean time, bump
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
Finally a sticky!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
grats on the sticky dude! very reliable Windwalker information is here. I just hope you keep it updated for 5.2 and beyond!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
WW thread needs more BrM in it. Just 'cause.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
WOOOT FINALLY got tha sticky gratz man....
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Grats on the sticky
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Great information. Gratz on the sticky :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]