Skootalloo's Steak Surprise - Healer OT

100 Tauren Druid
The Rules:

1) Be excellent to each other. No one likes a jerk. Don't be a jerk in this thread. No fighting, no put downs, no name calling - or else Reta will beat you with a stick. >:(

2a) The title of the next thread is to be decided by general acceptance before this one caps; try not to overlap with previous ones. Whomever caps the thread should make the new one.

2b) Keep the ToS in mind when deciding on a thread title. This will make it far less likely to be deleted. Also, the title of the thread should always involve food! This is the healer forum and we're weird.

3) Copy and paste these rules and the below list into the first post of the new thread. Add the title of the new thread to the bottom of the list.

Titles of previous OT threads:
Practical's Donuts
Retà's Gumbo Pot
Fleurzilla's Spanish Sammiches
Oldwolfe's Singularity Jello
Kaels' Mac'n'cheese
Pipikaula's Buttered Artichokes
Kerias' Kentucky Fried Chicken
Abeille's Chocolate Truffles
Alnair's Braised Pork Belly
Winnifred's Fried Green Tomatoes
Anarri's Soylent Bread
Röth's Flawless Lasagna
Evayle's Pop Tarts
Sensations' Sensational BBQ
Scootles' Spaghetti
Gumshoe's Samosas
Malrius' Marvelous Stromboli
Akaeya's Fruit Cocktail
Rain's Evil Crawfish Boil
Zzar's Fabulous Falafel
Morenn's Ginger Beef Curry
Anohako's Red Beans and Rice
Marathel's Brazilian Pastries
Veroicone's Macaroni Icecream
Glenn's Backyard Barbeque
Jumpies' Jumpy Jumping Beans
Harpoa's Haggis
Ffraid's Fabulous Souffle
Shammyren's Stupendous Stew
Stormtides' Satisfying Casserole
Buffyria's Bourbon Bonbons
Riot's Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Eiko's Lazy Pepperoni Rolls
Feyatia's Mussamun Curry
Nerfheals' Nefarious Nourishment
Icecreamsoup's Frozen Soup
Fluffy's Lemon Meringue Pie
Vhalan's Tuscan Bean Stew
Zamboozle's Seafood Chow Mein
Dayani's Delicious Desserts
Skootalloo's Steak Surprise

This is our home, let's keep it nice!

Healer IRC: http://outofmana.me/healchat/
Healer offshore forums: http://outofmana.me/forum/index.php
100 Tauren Druid
I didn't realize the last thread was so close to capping, so I just went with whatever. If anyone feels strongly about changing the title, let me know!
90 Night Elf Druid
Depends, what's the surprise?

Side note, there is a cooldown on posting in the forums lololol.
Edited by Anoru on 1/6/2013 9:52 AM PST
90 Pandaren Shaman
YIPPIE!

I wish i could access healer irc on my phone. hmm. i wonder if maybe i can?! will try later.

<3
do you like ponies?
90 Draenei Paladin
I finally posted my Holy Pally guide over in the Pally forums.

/shamelessplug
90 Night Elf Druid
I got a 420K crit today!

/shameless me
100 Troll Priest
01/06/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Venomheart
do you like ponies?

Don't know what you're on about. Title clearly references a chicken.
90 Gnome Priest
do you like ponies?

I am not a chicken.

Chicken don't wear no hat like this.

EDIT: And a pair of recipes, which I shall take from the recipe sheet I got from the cooking class:

Garlic Herb Butter:
  • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix the butter with the garlic, parsley, thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper.

2. Roll into a tube using plastic wrap (like a sausage).

3. Refrigerate for one hour, until firm. You can also freeze it and it'll be good for up to 6 months.

Grilled New York Strip Steak (I'm going to embellish on this one a bit):
  • Two 12-ounce strip steaks (ours were cut in half already, and the recipe says this serves four)
  • 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
  • Salt and pepper "to taste"

1. Heat a grill pan over medium heat.

A cast iron pan should work just as well, but they had us using grill pans. I'm also not sure what they think of as 'medium heat' considering the size of the flames I saw and the number of times ours almost caught fire.

2. Rub the steaks with grapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper "to taste."

I highly, highly recommend adding far more salt and pepper than you think you need. A lot of it is going to cook off, fall off or otherwise end up not on your steak. Personally, I tried to cover as much surface area as I could.

2.5. Oil up your pan before you start. No specific amount here, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.

3. Grill until well-marked, about 3-4 minutes. Give the steaks a quarter turn to create diamond grill marks. Continue to cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until well marked.

First of all, don't touch the steaks a lot. Just leave them be. Go do other things where you can watch, but not touch the steaks. You'll do better.

We didn't really manage to get grill marks on ours. We were cooking on a stove top with a grill pan, so best we could manage. What you're looking for is carmelization and the meat not sticking to the pan. About a minute or two after it starts to brown is when you want to give it a turn, but there shouldn't be any resistance when you do so.

4. Flip the steaks over and cook in the same fashion as the first side, until the steaks are cooked to your liking. An internal temperature of 125 degrees is ideal for medium rare.

You'll flip about when the color has moved up through half the steak.

Don't bother with a meat thermometer. There's a better trick.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

Just squeeze the sides of the meat and compare. I really recommend not going for well-done or anything much further than medium, but if you like your steak that way...may god have mercy on your soul.

Anyway, don't keep them on too long anyway because they'll cook a little bit longer outside the pan on their own.

5. Top the steaks with 2 "coins" of garlic herb butter and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

You need to let them rest. It seals the juices in. Also gives time for the butter on top to melt.
Edited by Skootalloo on 1/6/2013 11:30 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/06/2013 10:57 AMPosted by Skootalloo

I am not a chicken.

Chicken don't wear no hat like this.

Personally i believe this place needs more cows dancing ballet.
90 Blood Elf Priest
And on the subject of vizier... I was dps for it this time and died at the end cus he was at 7% or so and i just said !@#$ it and let out a last burst of dps before eating 2 attenuations. Got out 3 procced mindblasts and a 3 stack devouring plague with both trinkets procced before i went down. At least i went down in a blaze of glory haha.
90 Pandaren Monk
01/06/2013 10:17 AMPosted by Nezpadi
do you like ponies?

Ugh. I was just about to break in here to make that very point.

Now I am out of clever things to say.
90 Night Elf Druid
YIPPIE!

I wish i could access healer irc on my phone. hmm. i wonder if maybe i can?! will try later.

<3

You have an iPhone right? I use it on mine :D!
90 Human Priest
Skoots.... your hat is terrifying. Please put the old one back on.

and grats on Vizier Keiri.
My old guild is still on Blade Lord and until they get more consistent DPS I offer my warlock. This week we had trouble getting Vizier down before it starts going to !@#$ in P2, and I suggested to the SPriest that he bring ToF instead of DI. He said it would be worse for dps, so it was a bad idea.

He also thinks Chakra Serenity is useless in 10 man, and renew is never worth the mana. So, I'm glad he's not my problem anymore.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Skoots.... your hat is terrifying. Please put the old one back on.

and grats on Vizier Keiri.
My old guild is still on Blade Lord and until they get more consistent DPS I offer my warlock. This week we had trouble getting Vizier down before it starts going to !@#$ in P2, and I suggested to the SPriest that he bring ToF instead of DI. He said it would be worse for dps, so it was a bad idea.

He also thinks Chakra Serenity is useless in 10 man, and renew is never worth the mana. So, I'm glad he's not my problem anymore.

Yeah i just ran DI for it for some more movement dps. on the final phase we always get like 4 rotations of FnV, atten, FnV, atten. so if i can't dps on the move i'm pretty much screwed. i'm still happy i could pull off almost 50k dps on that fight haha.
90 Gnome Priest
I actually ended up 2-healing Vizier last week by accident. I told our monk (who is tank/heals) to go tank and our PuG healer to go DPS, but didn't process that I had done so until we started on Blade Lord's trash.

It was actually really fast and probably our best kill yet.
100 Tauren Druid
If you have good raid CDs on your healers, I found it easier to two-heal Vizier, just make sure your tank saves CDs for when a healer gets Exhale. For FnV we were rotating ToL, DH, and Tranq, with a SPriest symbiosised for a second Tranq if needed. Our biggest problems were people nuking the MCs (stun the rogue, don't kill him!), and priests/warlocks fearing people to Timbuktu when MCd, especially in the last phase.
90 Human Priest
Smack your priests more if they aren't putting Psychic Scream on cooldown before the convert. It is easier to 2 heal, imo, especially if you have a boomkin, spriest, shaman, that can use a cd for FnV.

I take DI too, but it is possible to cast a Mind Blast during Attenuation.
WTB: Healing partner that doesn't make me want to kill myself.
01/06/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Keirisonis
And on the subject of vizier... I was dps for it this time and died at the end cus he was at 7% or so and i just said !@#$ it and let out a last burst of dps before eating 2 attenuations. Got out 3 procced mindblasts and a 3 stack devouring plague with both trinkets procced before i went down. At least i went down in a blaze of glory haha.

Gratz on the Vizier kill. My guild took FOREVER killing him, we finally got him on farm though. I don't know why so many people in my raid had so many problems with Attenuation, I find it to be an easy mechanic to dodge.

I find that as Shadow, I can keep up a nice bit of dps while dodging. Instead of running around, I just dodge one and I had enough time to get 2 ticks of Mind Flay off, and I reapply DoTs when I need to. We always two heal the fight, the extra dps makes it go fast and the healing isn't too intense for 2 healers. We did wipe once yesterday, cause near the very end, he MCed the Priest healer. We were just gonna burn the boss since we were so close, but then the Priest fear bombed us all right during an Attenuation =(
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]