The New Power Word: Solace

01/08/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Twistedmind
As long as we're doing wishful thinking, I'd like to see the "costs no mana" part of this spell removed and for discipline atonement heals to only do 75% of the damage done in a smart heal (instead of the current 100%). I'd like to see the old Solace return for holy only and for it to do 1% mana back, and for it to completely replace smite and "deal the same damage and interact with other spells and abilities in the same manner" (read, stack evangelism). It would be cool if chakra was a 15 second cooldown. It would be nice if the red chakra only affected holy damage spells. If spirit of redemption returned you to 10% of your hp at the end of its duration, I'd finally have a reason to consider holy for more than just high hps fights with bad prayer of healing range issues. Ideally, Rapture should return a flat 6.1% of our mana; no more absurd scaling, and extra icing for returning the multiple rapture pop bug. It would be nice if holy nova was a baseline, discipline only spell, that did something different from what it currently does (perhaps lifebloom-ish but with an aoe? like, after 4-5 seconds it explodes healing everyone within 10 yards of the target. novas on multiple targets would subtract the amount of bloom healing). It would be really nice if holy word: serenity just gave a flat 25% increased heal buff on the target, no more crit nonsense. It would be nice if guardian spirit and void shift actually worked reliably. It would be cool if lightwell finally was able to be /use macro'd like warlock healthstones. Wishful thinking ;)

I agree with all of these. Too bad they probably won't ever get implemented =(

At the very least, Chakra needs a shorter cooldown. It's nice to be able to switch to damage mode to help burn stuff, but with a 30 second cooldown, you're stuck with gimp healing for a big portion of that, and if you get caught in the wrong Chakra, you're not nearly as effective as other healers now. Hell, I don't even know why it needs a cooldown at all (apart from a GCD, of course), but 15 seconds is at least a lot more reasonable.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
Well, even though this isn't getting the attention I thought it would get, I'm thinking of looking into the amount of dps this could do for holy compared to some of my spell breakdowns for Garalon, just to see if it's excusable to use the spell as a dps gain. I might tack on twist of fate analysis sometime as well, but I'll probably table that after seeing the 2-piece set bonus for next tier (because increasing PoM hps ultimately means pushing you into using Divine Insight over Twist of Fate or Power Infusion).
Reply Quote
It's pretty much saying what we already knew: Old Solace's problem was that it conflicted/competed with Atonement, making it bad for Disc and decent for Holy. New Solace is shoved into Atonement, making it usable for Disc, but losing the flexibility that made it attractive for Holy.

I hate the whole idea of New Solace, by the way, because whether I choose it or not I'm losing flexibility. If I choose new Solace, I have to hit it every time it's off cooldown or I'm bleeding mana; if I don't choose new Solace, I have to hard-cast Holy Fire. I do not want to do either of those things. I like having an instant-cast Holy Fire that doesn't control my mana bar.

What I'd prefer: have Solace replace Smite instead of HF.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I'd like that ^, even if it was holy only
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/10/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Heartsings

Hmm... Why does this sound familiar? :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
01/10/2013 04:01 PMPosted by Volios

Hmm... Why does this sound familiar? :)

Yeah, obviously maining a druid and not a priest. But even with the old version using the exact same spell coefficients and the same cast time as smite, it didn't stack evangelism or make use of atonement. At least with that proposal, they'd do those things. My knee jerk is that would be too much for disc, but at least it's better than it is for the live version for holy. Also 1%>0.7%
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yeah, obviously maining a druid and not a priest. But even with the old version using the exact same spell coefficients and the same cast time as smite, it didn't stack evangelism or make use of atonement. At least with that proposal, they'd do those things. My knee jerk is that would be too much for disc, but at least it's better than it is for the live version for holy. Also 1%>0.7%

I just think it's interesting because solace replacing smite was mentioned a while ago. This is why I was a bit surprised to see the ptr notes saying it now replaces holy fire. It's a much better concept to have it replace smite IMO.
Reply Quote
I never said I came up with that idea >.> Pretty sure I heard Twisted say it first. Point is, if Old Solace interacted with Evangelism, I'd at least consider working it into my playstyle.

The other point is, neither spec benefits from a rigid, rotational mechanic for their mana returns.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
This whole idea wreaks of multiple attempts at fixing stuff. I wouldn't be surprised is greg says in a tweet or something that glyph of holy fire was too mandatory, and this addresses that while also attempting to fix a talent that everyone admitted was pretty bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I never said I came up with that idea >.> Pretty sure I heard Twisted say it first. Point is, if Old Solace interacted with Evangelism, I'd at least consider working it into my playstyle.

The other point is, neither spec benefits from a rigid, rotational mechanic for their mana returns.

Well, it's not that at all. I was more interested in the fact solace replacing smite had been suggested before yet they turned around and made solace replace holy fire. This just doesn't.... make sense to me. I think Twisted did a pretty good job depicting the situation (kudos btw). So I don't think more needs to be said about why it's a poor concept for this change to stick.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/10/2013 03:24 PMPosted by Heartsings

We already have that talent - it's called From Darkness, Come Light.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
This ability may be clunky but i can see myself taking it for disc pvp. As long as the mana procs even when it's deflected. Mindbender is just too easy to kill/cc.

And for any heavy atonement encounters, it's a solid choice, as well as for movement fights that aren't gcd locked.

Honestly the best part about this talent is that it ISNT useful in all encounters. I get to have a choice based upon what's more useful. That's one of my favorite parts about playing my shadow spec. Respeccing to fit a fight's need. Its fun to have a different playstyle every so often.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
01/11/2013 04:16 AMPosted by Medeyn
We already have that talent - it's called From Darkness, Come Light.

Did you really just say this? I must be easily amused....

This ability may be clunky but i can see myself taking it for disc pvp. As long as the mana procs even when it's deflected. Mindbender is just too easy to kill/cc.

And for any heavy atonement encounters, it's a solid choice, as well as for movement fights that aren't gcd locked.

Honestly the best part about this talent is that it ISNT useful in all encounters. I get to have a choice based upon what's more useful. That's one of my favorite parts about playing my shadow spec. Respeccing to fit a fight's need. Its fun to have a different playstyle every so often.

Currently I can't think of a reason to take solace in just about any situation for Disc PVE. Post 5.2 I can't think of a reason not to take solace in just about every situation for Disc PVE. For the most part the change trades one obvious choice for another obvious choice. I wouldn't call it a choice at all.

The only major change outside of this is the holy fire glyph won't be viewed as "mandatory". I'm not sure this was even an issue to begin with given the plethora of useful Priest glyphs we have available. I would say I have a difficult time believing this was their end-game but... I've been surprised before.

For Holy PVE it's pretty clear you're going to continue using mindbender.

I'm not really in a position to make accurate claims about PVP. If I were to guess I'd say this is where the change is aimed.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7874zqg1bib8zrny/sum/healingDone/?s=749&e=1025#Psudo
A link of my logs, world rank 2 priest, 3 healing class overall for Imperial visier Zorlok 25N
i have more i can link if needed. Trust me when i say and show my mathematics
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 06:53 AMPosted by Psudo
As you can see, even with terrible timing on pressing holy fire every 20 seconds
\
Learn how to play disc, 20seconds per HF is retardedly slow, i didn't fl;ame you in your first post but you continue to not understand the proper rotation for a "Good" disc priest stop giving bad and incorrect advice.

I understand that it's possible that English isn't your native language. Or maybe you're just not a very strong reader. So I'm not going to call you stupid. What I will tell you is that in the future, you should be very careful to make sure that you understand what someone is saying before you call them stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
01/11/2013 07:26 AMPosted by Kaels
I understand that it's possible that English isn't your native language. Or maybe you're just not a very strong reader.

i personally have ADHD, feel free to look it up, what it means is i have a working knowlage of mathematics which is the basis of theory crafting, and a complete failing at grammer and english, personally i live in Australia and english is my primary language second only to mathematics
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
The ranking parse you linked me shows you were way overgearing the encounter because you only used rapture every 30.6 seconds: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7874zqg1bib8zrny/xe/?s=749&e=1025&x=targetName+%3D+%22Psudo%22+and+spell+%3D+%22Rapture%22

Your average holy fire (17.25 seconds) falls in line with the charts I made showing that even if you are between haste breakpoints with your pets, the new Solace is the superior regen choice. Nowhere did I say you should only cast an average of per ~20 seconds.

And the other thread you linked if anything just proves that you do not have the competancy to theorycraft as you demonstrated that you thought spirit shell uses a 50% modifier and you thought looking at a current spell breakdown percentage of an encounter and showing that crit is inferior to mastery shows a lack of understanding ratios in mathematics.

Furthermore, world of logs ranking have never meant, still do not mean, and will never mean that you are the kind of player that everyone should congregate to. I never link my rankings as leverage because hps ranks is simply a poor tool for evaluating healers; it would be wise for you to do the same.

Either way, this personal vendetta against me needs to stop. I strongly disagree with many of the other posters that frequently chat on these threads, but I never try to invalidate them by simply crying, "nobody listen to him, because he's just bad!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]