Question about heroic raids

90 Worgen Warlock
I have recently finished going through all of the MoP raids using the raid finder. I would like to start doing some heroic raids now. My question is, how do I enter a heroic raid? Can I do this with the raid finder or does a group need to be assembled manually? I saw the option under my character portrait to change the difficulty to 'heroic', but upon entering raids I find them to still be on normal mode.
Reply Quote
61 Pandaren Mage
You have to clear the normal version, not the LFR version first. You should look for a steady raid group on your server.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
LFR is NOT raiding.. Not even close to Raiding. you need to try out Normal mode before you go stepping into Heroic Raids. Find a good raiding guild on your server looking for new people and get your feet wet so to speak.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Heroic LFR, make it happen blizz
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
01/07/2013 09:19 AMPosted by Paper
Heroic LFR, make it happen blizz

Heroic LFR?
lol... With the amount of wipes on LFR now, imagine a heroic version of that...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
lol
Reply Quote
50 Undead Warlock
01/07/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Erras
This post makes me sad....

Why? Maybe the person is brand new to the game? As for the heroic LFR, I suppose that is kind of a sad thought.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Why? Maybe the person is brand new to the game?
Almost certain this is a troll post, maybe not but probably is.

My reasoning?

01/07/2013 09:03 AMPosted by Rachmaninov
I saw the option under my character portrait to change the difficulty to 'heroic', but upon entering raids I find them to still be on normal mode.
If you set it to heroic you can not enter the raid at all, it will constantly tell you that you need to complete normal mode first so he never would have been ported into the raid.
Reply Quote
50 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Erras
This post makes me sad....
To be fair. Blizzard is pushing LFR as "real" raiding. It would make logical sense if you wanted to do something harder that you would look into Heroics.

At least his heart is in the right place.

Just needs some enchants and regemming reforging and I'd take them on a normal mode PuG maybe.

OP I suggest you read for how to optimize DPS:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7006242820
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/affliction

Then read the raid guides at:
http://www.icy-veins.com/

Then try to find a group doing normal modes.

Heroic raids are rather to pinnacle of difficulty in this game and one does not, as it were, simply walk into Mordor. Also no one will take you unless they know you, or you have previous heroic experience.
Edited by Loans on 1/7/2013 10:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I have recently finished going through all of the MoP raids using the raid finder. I would like to start doing some heroic raids now.

Normal mode is a ginormous step up from LFR. Let alone Heroic. You will need to do normal modes before even thinking of heroic.

My question is, how do I enter a heroic raid? Can I do this with the raid finder or does a group need to be assembled manually?

No you can't get a group for normal/heroic modes through LFR. You will need to either pug or find a guild that is looking to do the content. However this tier is challenging even on normal mode, so I would suggest a guild over pugging.

I saw the option under my character portrait to change the difficulty to 'heroic', but upon entering raids I find them to still be on normal mode.

That's because you haven't completed the raid on normal mode. Until you do that, you cannot enter heroic mode.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
01/07/2013 10:14 AMPosted by Casmavara
That's because you haven't completed the raid on normal mode. Until you do that, you cannot enter heroic mode.
Incorrect, he can enter heroic mode but he has to be summoned in or it has to be switched to heroic from normal after he is inside by a player that has completed it on normal.
Reply Quote
50 Undead Warlock
01/07/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Erras
Why? Maybe the person is brand new to the game? As for the heroic LFR, I suppose that is kind of a sad thought.

There is no easy way of saying it, so I'll just do it: LFR has encouraged stupidity and this thread proves it. Someone who clearly has no idea what is going on and clearly has never raided before is asking how to get into heroic raids.

I actually pray that this is just a troll posting, which is almost has to be, unless people really are that dumb these days...

Meh...I suppose it could be a troll, but it comes off more as a new player to me. Not everyone played before LFR, and there's nothing out there screaming in your face about the differences between LFR, normal, and heroic. You have to remember that everyone was new to the game at one point.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

As its been said you have to clear normals to do heroics, on top of that your ilvl is really low, you need so much more gear.

For heroics maybe a little. But for normals he's right around where he should be.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Non-troll answer:

There's three tiers of raiding: LFR (which you've done), Normal, and then Heroic. Normal and Heroic are further subdivided into 10-person and 25-person raids, however almost all 25-person guilds have moved onto high-pop servers to support their recruitment requirements. Stormreaver is ranked #13 so you may be able to find a 25-person guild if that's your thing, but getting into a 10-man is a lot easier. I raid 25s, I think it's more fun that 10s, but there's no question that 10s are more popular and easier to get into. 25s are (generally) more competitive and pickier about their applicants and thus much harder for a rookie to get into.

The increase in difficulty between LFR and normals is huge. I would go as far as to say it's the single biggest jump in difficulty in progression in this game's history. Be patient and be prepared to spend some time working your way up into a good guild.

Here's a checklist:

1) Websites to be aware of:
- Elitest Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/). Read their forums. Never ever ever post on them. Just read. Their theorycrafting and class guides are top-notch.
- Icy Veins (http://www.icy-veins.com/). Right now this site has the best dungeon guides.
- MMO Champion (http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/). Because for some reason the WoW website is always the last place WoW news ever shows up at.
- WoW Progress (http://www.wowprogress.com/). Since you're new your first guild probably won't be competitive, but it's good to know who the top-end raiders on your server are.

2) Mods and software to get:
- Skada Damage Meter. Meters aren't everything, but they're still important.
- Deadly Boss Mods. Required by every raid guild everywhere.
- Atlasloot. Best in-game mod for looking at raid/dungeon loot and has been for a long time.
- Ventrilo and Mumble. Most guilds and pugs use one or the other. Hardly anyone uses Teamspeak anymore but be aware of it.

3) Get into a raiding guild. Normal and heroic raiding is designed around guild groups. If your current guild doesn't raid or can't raid to the standard you're looking for you must switch guilds. Here's some traits of guilds I've found to generally be successful over the years:

- Good guilds vet their applicants. There's an application. Take it seriously. There's a trial period, take it seriously too. You don't want people in your raid who are hopelessly incompetent, don't show up on time, cause drama, or have attitude problems and the application and trial period are designed to screen these people out.

- Good guilds have some sort of loot system other than the default /roll. DKP used to be popular, now EP/GP has mostly taken its place. The point of these systems is to ensure people who contribute the most get the first shot at loot and/or make sure people who need to get loot so the raid can progress get the loot they need. Remember you're on a team and being emo about loot is one of the fastest ways to get kicked out of a raiding guild. You'll get your loot, just be patient and wait your turn.

- Good guilds have a charter, code of conduct, or some other big list of rules that everyone understands, agrees to, and enforces. Make sure to read these, oftentimes there will be something hidden in them that you need to put on your application so the leadership will know you read it.

- Speaking of rules, every good raid guild has an attendance policy that is strictly enforced. Don't waste 9 or 24 other people's time by being that guy who is always late or doesn't show up and doesn't tell anyone they won't be showing up beforehand. Guilds that don't enforce an attendance policy tend to break up because raiders aren't going to put up with not raiding because one or a handful of people aren't showing.

- Don't expect to walk into a top-end guild right away. You're new, you need to practice. Normal-mode raiding is a totally different experience than LFR or 5-mans. You should be looking at guilds running normal modes - you're not geared or experienced enough for heroics yet. If, after you get some experience your belt, you decide you want to step it up some more then you can apply. Although your server is top-ranked keep in mind that you may still need to transfer to find a guild that's right for you, especially moving into heroics.

4) Ninja Edit: Mechanics. Read Icy Veins. Watch YouTube videos if that's your thing. Know the mechanics. Don't fail at mechanics. LFR and LFD do nothing to teach you mechanics. Don't stand in bad stuff, move when you need to, hit what you're supposed to be hitting, do whatever dance the boss requires, etc. Mechanics are what almost everyone struggles with when they first start raiding.

5) And finally, please don't turn into a raging elitist prick once you get into heroics. We already have enough of those.
Edited by Kessiaan on 1/7/2013 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
01/07/2013 10:12 AMPosted by Erras

There is no easy way of saying it, so I'll just do it: LFR has encouraged stupidity and this thread proves it. Someone who clearly has no idea what is going on and clearly has never raided before is asking how to get into heroic raids.

I actually pray that this is just a troll posting, which is almost has to be, unless people really are that dumb these days...

Why not, it's a natural progression from LFR to seek greater difficulty. You do this in almost every game.

Have you ever played a game and beat it on easy mode, and then decided easy was too easy, and you didn't need to do medium or hard, and then you just go to very hard mode and give it a go? And if very hard whoops your butt, you just go down to hard mode.

This player is doing something that seems pretty intuitive to me.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
get over yourselves, self-serving community.

@rach - read the post by Kessiaan, it contains most of the info you're looking for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]