How Good is Lil' Rags?

90 Troll Mage
Current main team is pandaren monk, lil kT, and Peddlefeet.

Originially, rags was the 3rd, but he has been dieing over and over on me. Even my lowered level pandaren monk is surviving better than rags does!

It's made me abandone rags, but it feels like a mistake, like maybe he'll be much better at a higher level . . . does he become much better at 25? :L
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
He is better than any of the other 3 in your line up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/07/2013 02:27 PMPosted by Hearus
He is better than any of the other 3 in your line up.

When? Level 20? Rags used to be part of the team, I'm losing faith.

Maybe it's how I play pets together?

He's always failing compared to the rest of the team almost regardless of what I put out.

I went through 4 pet tamer battles where rags died and the other two lived.

That's how I ended up with these two guys level 19 while rags is still 14!

A lower level pandaren monk is already doing better for me!

What exactly am I missing here? AOE spell? I got that with others. The Bomb? Others have quicker ones. He also seems VERY weak, I would try to start with Rags, and he often died in the first round! O.o

Any time I try to put Rags against something similar or higher level: he dies.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Lil' Rag = Horrible vs most wild pets since hes getting damage reduced by critters, not good for grinding them (similar to undead not being good for grinding).

Tamers and PvP = pretty amazing, critters are non-exsistent in the PvP meta and tamers you already know their lineup.

That is all.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Rag: use Flamethrower (hits for nearly 400 after the DoT), then use Conflagrate (hits for 700 twice).

Whatever you were attacking is dead or near death after being hit for nearly 1800 damage.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Lil' Rag = Horrible vs most wild pets since hes getting damage reduced by critters, not good for grinding them (similar to undead not being good for grinding).

Tamers and PvP = pretty amazing, critters are non-exsistent in the PvP meta and tamers you already know their lineup.

That is all.

But this hasn't been my experience :(

That's why I'm posting.

Undead/ Lil KT has been AMAZING for me! Both in terms of grinding and pvp battles.

In PvP battles, I make him go against the player's strongest enemy (assuming KT isn't weak), and get him to SOAK damage with me by combining hits with siphon life. He typically ends up out-surviving the pet, and I see the other tamer go a little crazy because of this.

Ditto for peddle. Haven't seen anyone using him other than myself, and he's doing serious damage out there for me.

Then I put out rags . . . and watch Rags die :L

Then I put out a lower level pandaren monk, saw him do over 1k damage, and thought to myself "Rags is out, monk is in"

Also, let it be known I really want to use Rags. My original idea was a "read leader" team.

But as time goes by, KT performs really well for me, while Rags just dies.

When I do use Rags, it's basically just for the bomb or the AOE; but I think I could so the same, if not better, with a mechanical pet.

ETA: I totally know this could reflect my own level, so wondering if things will get better.
Edited by Rentrenus on 1/7/2013 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
You still haven't mentioned Conflagrate yet which makes me think you aren't using the right moves.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Rag: use Flamethrower (hits for nearly 400 after the DoT), then use Conflagrate (hits for 700 twice).

Whatever you were attacking is dead or near death after being hit for nearly 1800 damage.

Rags finally turned 15, and it was painful, so will try this out.

I should also add that most people I que against tend to have 2 or 3 dragons on them, so I have found having dragon killers to be quite important!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/07/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Simca
You still haven't mentioned Conflagrate yet which makes me think you aren't using the right moves.

That's cause my rags seriously only turned 15 like this morning - I thought he was actually still 14, so didn't have it available to me. So, until very recently, bomb was my only option.

But I do love conflagarate based on my experience with summer scorchling.

Maybe that's why I have such a bad opinion of rags: up until this morning, he didn't have conflagarate. Good though, I WANT to use Rags.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
A level 14 dies faster than a level 20 you say?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/07/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Hearus

I thought he would still last more than a round :(

Like, at least be able to lay out a bomb, but he just dies of me SO fast.

Even my core hound seems to live longer!

I'm hoping level 15 and conflagarate will help cause seriously, when one pet dies while the other two live to win the battle, you begin looking for a new third!

But if he is seriously good, then I'll continue to level him, but wow, I have seriously found leveling rags to be much more difficult than I expected! If any other pet died on me as muchas Rags, I would have tossed him to the curb a long time ago :L
Edited by Rentrenus on 1/7/2013 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/07/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Hearus

I should also add, it didn't begin that way :(

Originally, they were all level 14, and then I began to the tamers in Kalimdor and EK, along with some capturing along the way.

When it was all over: peddle and Kt were level 19, while rags was still at 14.

That's how much worse Rags did! A little grinding has gotten Rags to 15, but he continues to be the black sheep, and I actually got better results with Pandaren monk, which was, well, shocking.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

That is all.

Just making sure you saw this.

When I started; I was using Corehound Pup, Phoenix Hatchling and Lil'Deathwing. The first two went out of my line-up pretty quickly. It's just painful leveling them up against all those Critters and Aquatic pets in the wild.

Also, Lil'Rag is kind of a glass cannon; so you really need to nuke things fast if you're using him.

If you're still having trouble keeping him alive now that you unlocked Conflagarate, I'd considering leveling a different team to 25; then using them to power-level Rag.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
Leveling with an elemental can be painful, and I am speaking from experience as my team leveling up was a Shimmering Wyrmling, Feral Vermling, and a Phoenix Hatchling. There are SO many critters in the wild and your elemental is doing 33% less damage to them, plus any aquatic pets you are fighting do 50% more damage to them.

Their strength against mechs is virtually non-existent in the wild, but thankfully very helpful in the PvP end game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
01/07/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Rentrenus

Originally, they were all level 14, and then I began to the tamers in Kalimdor and EK, along with some capturing along the way.

That's how much worse Rags did! A little grinding has gotten Rags to 15, but he continues to be the black sheep, and I actually got better results with Pandaren monk, which was, well, shocking.

you can switch pets out before they die, true story.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

you can switch pets out before they die, true story.

Take a look at the posters above you - THANK YOU for informative responses.

Now, let's look at your troll response - yuck!

I already stated that my issue was him not even living to see the end of the round, thus not allowing me to swap him out. I agree with the poster above: he's a bit of a glass cannon.

Back to helpful people - thanks for the tips! I agree he's strong against mechanicals. I hope conflagarate will indeed help, otherwise, yeah, power-levelling.
Edited by Rentrenus on 1/7/2013 4:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
If you leveled 2 other pets 4 levels and kept leaving him to long against higher leveled opponents you were doing something wrong.

That is not trolling, that is just true.
Edited by Hearus on 1/7/2013 4:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/07/2013 04:10 PMPosted by Rentrenus
I already stated that my issue was him not even living to see the end of the round, thus not allowing me to swap him out.

So he is being one shot by everything? Sounds legit.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I already stated that my issue was him not even living to see the end of the round, thus not allowing me to swap him out.

So he is being one shot by everything? Sounds legit.

In PvP que battles, yeah :(

Everything is also a strong term, just honestly speaking from experience.

They seem to be pairing me up with other people who have two other pets around level 20, and one around 15, and they take down rags before the round is even up! :(

Occasionally, he'll live long enough to lay down a bomb, but then get killed by AOE typically :(

But then I still managed to win some with my two remaining pets, making rags look even worse.

Like I say above, been trying to get these two level 19 toons to help level up rags, but rags can't seem to survive in the company these pets are able to survive in, and honestly, reverting to an all level 15 team doesn't really appeal to me, but I may have to do so just to level up rags more. At this rate, the other pets are gonna be level 25 before rags is even 17!
Edited by Rentrenus on 1/7/2013 4:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
If you leveled 2 other pets 4 levels and kept leaving him to long against higher leveled opponents you were doing something wrong.

That is not trolling, that is just true.

Except, that was never my intent.

I figured that next tamer, he would live at least one round, or at least till the end, so I could grab the experience for him. Instead, he kept dieing against these tamers while the others stayed alive. I thought "ok, next one he'll live" and nope, he died while the others lived again :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]