How Good is Lil' Rags?

90 Tauren Warrior
Don't evaluate based on PvP; especially if you're queuing with pets of different levels.

You've probably already noticed how hard it is to fight even poor quality pets when you're down a few levels. It's pretty hopeless in PvP when some people are also setting up combos and using at worst green pets.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
Except, that was never my intent.

I figured that next tamer, he would live at least one round, or at least till the end, so I could grab the experience for him. Instead, he kept dieing against these tamers while the others stayed alive. I thought "ok, next one he'll live" and nope, he died while the others lived again :(

Unless he was getting one shotted the problem still lies on the user end not the pet's.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Don't evaluate based on PvP; especially if you're queuing with pets of different levels.

You've probably already noticed how hard it is to fight even poor quality pets when you're down a few levels. It's pretty hopeless in PvP when some people are also setting up combos and using at worst green pets.

Thank you, yes, and, I needed this.

It's pretty thrilling though :)

I even managed to get a flawless stone out of it and used it to turn my peddle rare.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I can't think of anything that would kill lil rag in one round, let alone numerous things for it to be happening so often. It is like when people exagerate complaints they forget we actually play the exact same game so can verify the information.

Leave him in one round, backline him, collect XP until he is at a stronger level.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Except, that was never my intent.

I figured that next tamer, he would live at least one round, or at least till the end, so I could grab the experience for him. Instead, he kept dieing against these tamers while the others stayed alive. I thought "ok, next one he'll live" and nope, he died while the others lived again :(

Unless he was getting one shotted the problem still lies on the user end not the pet's.

That's been my point: he has a horrible habit of getting one-shotted.

For a while, I was just laying a bomb and getting him out of there, but it's just not working right now.

Typical scenario: other pet is faster and goes first, and does enough damage to kill Rags.

I couldn't believe it myself until I saw it again and again.

Then I put in core hound that was around the same level, and found myself doing better, ditto for when I put in Pandaren Monk.

Ultimately, thanks to this thread, I think the issue in PvP is that he's much weaker than the rest of the pets, while in the wild, he's facing mostly critters and aquatics, hurting him there.

Thus, levelling rags is proving to be painful right now :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Rag is great for PvP but no pet is going to be that competitive when put against pets that are substantially higher level. That is just common sense.

Sorry that you can't steamroll with little to no thought.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I can't think of anything that would kill lil rag in one round, let alone numerous things for it to be happening so often. It is like when people exagerate complaints they forget we actually play the exact same game so can verify the information.

Leave him in one round, backline him, collect XP until he is at a stronger level.

I'm absolutely telling the truth.

Your strategy WAS my strategy, but it doesn't work when he doesn't even get a chance to attack!

I think Roanranger actually figured it out:

If you can picture a level 20 pet attacking a level 14 rags, then getting one-shotted isn't too much of a stretch. Failing that, they put something strong against him that leaves him so weak that he eventually dies to AOE.

Actually, with a 19-19-14 pet team, Rags was typically at least two levels lower than the lowest pet on the other team, which was often around level 16.

He'll probably survive better if I teamed him with pets of a similar level, but I lost so much faith in him, which is why I posted this thread in the first place. I'll still have issues with all the critters and aquatics though, so levelling will feel very grindy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Everyone above has already said the problems with leveling elementals as one of your first max-level pets. They have poor match-ups with many of the lower-level pets you fight in the wild. It makes them feel weaker then they are. They aren't weaker or stronger then any other pet, they have one pet that they take more damage from, and one that they do less to. They are a little unique as they are the only pet type in the paper/rock/scissors circle that has increased damage done to, and reduced damage taken from the same pet type: Mechanicals (though a few other pets have abilities outside of their type that make them do the same).

Ragneros particularly is strong because of his damage. His max level attack score is 374. Compare that to other pets, like Pandaren Monk who has 289, or Mojo who has 244. That combined with the "Conflagrate" attack, which has a 1.25x attack multplier when the target is not burning, that doubles to 2.5x when the target is burning and you have a really hard hitting pet. His survivability and speed are low, only 1400hp at end game. Many pets have 1500-1600hp at level 25, and some tanky ones have 1600-1800.

He's a great pet, but his strength is that he hits like a truck. Survivability is not a particular strength of his. I leveled a team of Pandaren Monk/Mojo/Clockwork Gnome as my first team, but I had Lil' Rag as my 4th pet I'd swap in to get exp for some of the fights my other team was high level for. You also do run into fights where either one of your main team is weak or you really want an elemental (the triple mechanical trainer in Southern Barrens, the triple mechanical trainer in Hellfire Peninsula, and the final Northrend trainer's mechanical). My gal is leveling her first set of pets currently, and I've been encouraging her to have Rag as her 4th for those same reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
01/07/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Jitterbug
Rag is great for PvP but no pet is going to be that competitive when put against pets that are substantially higher level. That is just common sense.

I still thought he would live a round! Even my core hound survives better right now.

01/07/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Jitterbug
Sorry that you can't steamroll with little to no thought.

Was this honestly needed?

Did I ever say that's my goal?

I will now ignore you as I consider you a troll.

Meanwhile, take a long at the post after yours: EXCELLENT!

Thank you very much for the advice Boozyfloozy!
Edited by Rentrenus on 1/7/2013 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I got my rag to lv 25! so i think i know something abt it and heres my thought..

-u put him up first or swap him in between fights which is not ideal for a glass cannon that u wish to level cos he ll die after he had done some damage or get free hits from swapping =dead rag = no exp

-seems like u try to level him thru pvp? u shouldnt have this problem with wild pets

wut u should do is leveling him with npc tamers. Use ur other high lv pets first, kill 2 of their pets, leave one last pet nearly dead, pass and let ur pet that involved in the battle die then ur rag to finish the job... ur rag will get full exp

unless u got a lv 25 u can just swap rag for one turn

hellfire penninsula is the best place for lving with npc for rag, shattrath the worst

ps.i did use rag to win that !@#$ npc with 3 crocs too by burning them with immolation and scourged earth by prolonging the fight with sons of flame and the stun spell (he dies too fast without sons of flame). Other two pets is onyxian whelp and cinder kitten. Not the best combo but i had no other choice atm and rag did ok even against aqua pets
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
No problem man, happy to help. As a side note, Ragneros may have the highest attack score in the game. I could be wrong, but I havn't seen any others close. Just looking at some of the max level pets I have in my journal, the highest are around 290 to Rag's 374. Anyone know if he's actually the highest?

At max level, Flamethrower hits for roughly 300dmg (with no type bonus or penalty), then the dot ticks 3 turns for 100dmg each. Conflag hits for 500dmg twice. His basic attack hits for about 400dmg. My Pandaren Monk hits for a little over 300dmg with a basic attack, and my Clockwork Gnome hits for 277dmg with his basic. Just to give you a few pets to compare to.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
He is in fact the top power pet:
http://petsear.ch/Breeds/Ranking

The other high power pets surprise me though; the Red Cricket and Yellow Moth really? I gotta get a Yellow Moth to try now.

Lil'Deathwing doesn't surprise me though. He steamrolls everything.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Yellow moth. My secret weapon. Back off.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage

The other high power pets surprise me though; the Red Cricket and Yellow Moth really? I gotta get a Yellow Moth to try now.

Thanks for that website, very helpful!

I actually already have red cricket, yellow moth, and many of the other pets listed.

Looks like I have a lot of levelling to do - including lil rags!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight

Yellow Moth is worthless if you don't combo it with wiggles, FYI.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
01/07/2013 06:26 PMPosted by Jitterbug
Yellow moth. My secret weapon. Back off.

But, but they were so ugly!!!!!!

:P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Females are allowed to change their mind. Males too. We are all equal.

ETA: the pig is equally hideous. At least my team is themed, I guess.
Edited by Jitterbug on 1/8/2013 12:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Small Update: Lil Rags survived against the top tamer in EK! :D

Also, yes, gaining conflag at level 15 really improved things.

So I guess I can maintain my mini raid leader themed team of rags and KT for now :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]