best healer for pushing timed challenge modes

90 Pandaren Monk
interested in opinions people have on this, and their reasoning behind it. I'll start:

monk for time: nope nope nope don't even try

I feel external CDs are one of the biggest bonuses allowing your tank to pull multiple groups and then even stack those groups up on a boss for better times.

Paladin might seem stong if bosac didn't transfer dmg, and they have really solid single target heals, but incidental ae dmg might be harder to take care of for a pally.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I haven't even tried a challenge mode, but I'm wondering if disc, for the dps they do, would make a good healer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
for a lot of the pulls the tank is taking a ton of dmg, bosses are the best opportunity to assist in dps as a healer, but the healing from atonement wouldn't be able to keep a tank up through trash packs i wouldn't think, esp not if you are double or even triple pulling
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
An extra 20-30k DPS on bosses really does help, but as mentioned, it's only really effective on bosses and only some bosses at that. Some have a damage output too high for Atonement to be practical.

That aside, Disc has been pretty decent for me so far. We haven't made a lot of progress (only started working on CMs two weeks ago), but the only thing I feel I'm missing is the ability to quickly top everyone up.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
my biggest issue on monk is keeping the tank up, our single target tank healing isn't exactly good when the tank is taking as much damage as they do.

i feel external tank cds will eventually be a key aspect when going for better times, priests have 2 solid ones in barrier and pain sup. sadly priest is my least favorite healer to play =/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thoughts on Disc in Challenge modes (haven't done any yet on my monk or my priest):

Spirit Shell once per minute would be amazing for big trash pulls, and Archangel PoH'ing between Spirit Shells (... not just 25% bigger PoH heals, but 25% bigger DAs, too) would go a long way.

Additionally, PW:B once every 3 min for big pulls, and Pain Suppression once every 2 min.

Run Body & Soul with PW:S for movement speed buffs - though with your gear tuned down to Challenge-mode ilvl, I'd imagine mana could be difficult.

Glyphed (instant) Holy Fire and glyphed Penance (can cast on the move) are probably instrumental for adding some dps here and there outside of boss fights (and on boss fights, as you point out, Atonement could really add dps) as well as for being certain to have access to Archangel quickly.

Could be that those glyphs aren't the ideal glyphs for a Disc to use in every Challenge mode for one reason or another (when the Blizz team went up against the Blood Legion team, 1hr prior to MoP launch, in H MSP Challenge mode, the Blizz team used a Disc priest - remember this was *prior* to the Disc buffs, of course, lol - but we noticed the priest was hard-casting Holy Fire. He had Penance glyphed, but I have no idea what other glyphs he was using. The Blizz tea won, btw).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
If you are talking about big pulls, shaman win hands down. I am pretty sure no other healer can do pulls such as the the first 3 pulls of siege of nizuao together ONTO the boss as soon as the ooze adds are dead (but while the bigger adds remain to keep the damage buff going as fast as longa s possible) and then pulling the next set of oozes during the boss after the first set of ooze debuff wears off while still actually on the boss (and still having the mana to at least only have to use 1/3 a restorative amber afterward).

You can draw similar parallels on big pulls. I mean it requires a lot of coordination from all the dps and tanks, but SLT + HTT is unparalleled on some pulls.

That being said, big pulls are fine and all, but are not required for even the fastest of challenge modes (for instance the rank 2 scholo time has the group doing the very first pull without being dragged onto the boss). Thus, other classes can still pull fast times apart and the differentiating factor at that point becomes how much can a healer add to a fight (i know there are many fights where you dont even use a healer, but there are some that you need a healer but that healer can still add dps). In those situations, shaman fall pretty flat and are probably at the bottom since HotW for a druid or discipline priest dps, etc is much stronger than our slow and weak bolts.

So I realize this post doesn't help much, just my take from what I have seen with me healing (resto) and sometimes running with a resto druid or discipline priest. We have not gone for that fast times but we still hold (or held rather) decent regional times with multiple different healing classes (those stated above).

I cannot say anything about monks, but paladins do well also. Their hammer can add ridiculous dps for large aoe pulls, and their single target dps isn't that bad.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Shaman!

And what he just said. I found glyphing spirit walkers grace to be very usefull too for the healing while on the move. Ghost Wolf gives you a huge mana advantage as you can run ahead some of the time and start drinking before the pull or use it to catch up to the group after drinking on a pull. But The shaman xmog looks silly on pandas.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
yes the shaman xmog is...different =)

Gardiff: thank you very much for your post, Im looking for the various perspectives so your thoughts are much appreciated

Any druids or pally care to chime in?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Pally would definitely be a good choice because of the amount of cc and aoe dmg they can put out. Also, extra interrupts are always nice.

Priests might have some mana issues but they have the added benefit of being able to switch to shadow and put out decent healing while doing good dps for the dungeons that don't require a healer but benefit from extra heals on the tank. Hell, even Disc and Holy can put out about 50-75% of a regular dps's output (more for holy if they gear for absolutely no spirit, high crit, high haste.)

Monks are no longer good for the job... Their version of dpsing is just too mana intensive for too little damage (except for spamming SCK on aoe pulls.)

Shamans bring lots of utility, but dont add much dps outside of their fire elemental. Not so great.

And finally, druids can add a lot of dps while still doing some fairly decent healing through heart of the wild, or even do decently in kitty form, with the added benefit of having hots tick while they dps.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Are you talking about just getting Gold times, or getting top server/region times?

Either way though, I think you are asking the wrong question, as the bulk of the reason a group succeeds or fails for either goal in CM's lies squarely on the shoulders of the dps in the group.

Just like everything else PvE in this game, to be honest.

All of the healing classes are capable, including Mistweavers, but some can *carry* the group better than others...namely, Paladin/Priest.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm not so interested in gold times, any class can get gold - and yes I do have to agree dps determines pass or fail most of the time.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
I just got into doing challenge modes as disc and I'm finding it to be somewhat once you get used to the high level of damage. As mentioned I only atonement heal during bosses but the extra ~25k or so dps DEFIANTLY makes a difference in time.

That being said i'm certain any healer could pull off gold in challenge mode with a good group.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
From what I've seen mobility, CC potential, damage output and cool-downs are the big factors. Most specs can do some combination of this stuff but excel in some areas more than others. I've done everything as Disc but I don't think we have really tried for any good times yet, and we run a somewhat sub-par DPS comp for the most part. Take from this what you will...
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Resto Druid is laughable in challenge mode. The utility is nice but the throughput just is not good enough to be even remotely competitive to Pally/Disc priest or Shaman. Not even close.

I've only attempted Shado Pan monastery. So, the most difficult one, don't try it with a Resto Druid.
Edited by Tonydanza on 1/9/2013 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Eh laughable is very hyperbolic. Druid throughput for these is not that terribly weak. With regards to Shado Pan, even with a resto druid, we managed to pull the first 3 pulls of shado pan onto the first boss with a resto druid and he had no problem (we did kill the lightning mobs though before moving on, but every group does that since those mobs are immobile).

What matters more are stun rotations (need at minimum 3), things like roots, typhoon, etc., over actual throughput in healing. I used the example of siege in my post but the slt + htt combo only goes so far. We had to perfect the other stuff (stuns etc) as they all are important components in the overall picture.

As riot said (and as indicated by the leader boards) the bulk of the reason a group succeeds or fails for either goal in CM's lies squarely on the shoulders of the dps (and I like to add tank / any utility a healer brings) in the group, which is even true for setting record times.

Like with a shaman, you can do massive pulls. But when you have that shaman, you will miss, for instance, the 100k+ burst a resto druid can bring to the table on boss fights, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I would have to say the best is either Shammy or Druid. Shammies have powerful quick heals and druids can pre-hot before a fight, its awesome having the tank pull with 3 stacks of LB and rejuv and WG on him and then just spam regrowth.

Pallies are very good too. The worst healer for Challenge modes would be Monk because they dont have fast, strong and on-demand heals.

Damage in Challege modes is insane. Bosses are not that hard though. The biggest think to be honest is not so much about heals but about having DPS with AoE stuns on a short CD. Thats the only way to do big groups if you dont have a DK tank.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
01/09/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Leneas
The worst healer for Challenge modes would be Monk because they dont have fast, strong and on-demand heals.

I don't agree with this statement at all. There are a great many monks who don't seem to understand what tools they actually have, and what they can do with them.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
no i agree monk is about the worst, cant spam enveloping mists for big burst healing when its needed so u burn all ur mana on surging
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]