How to kite as ret pally?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
cant seem to find a thread explaining this. If i am completely blind and there is one please point me in the right direction :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's pretty simple. Spam freedoms on cd, emancipate to fill in the gaps between freedoms. Long arm of the Law.

Never, ever under any circumstances take BoG over FoJ, ever.

Keep inq up, for maximum pressure with prism, judge and exo.

When you're ready for a kill you should have:

3+ hopo, FoJ is off cd, at least 10 seconds remaining on Inq and a trinket available is nice too.

Your first melee attack (after FoJ) should be crusader strike for the +800 PvP power buff, then exo or Judge for that last hopo. TV, crusader, TV.

By now the target should be dead. (only a warrior can survive this) If it's not, Judge and start sprinting away and repeat the process.

I absolutely LOVE kiting dks, monks and rogues to death. You pretty much won't be able to kill good warriors no matter what you do. But the garbo ones are susceptible to the above as well.
Edited by Invincible on 1/15/2013 6:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/15/2013 06:39 PMPosted by Invincible
Never, ever under any circumstances take BoG over FoJ, ever.

I disagree. Battlegrounds and RBGs, BoG is fantastic for slowing priority targets.

For arenas? FoJ every time.

As for kiting? Just run away, hit with Exo, Judgement, and HoW when you can. Long Arm of The Law is literally the only viable option for T1 talents, so I'll assume you're taking it. The key is never giving them an opportunity to stick to you.

Like Invincible says, Emancipate/HoF whenever you are slowed/rooted.
Watch your environment, use it to your advantage.

Try to rotate around your target; not quite literally but always use them as a frame of reference from which to strafe. If you take BoG this becomes disgustingly easy, and is fairly easy even without it.

Kiting with the use of Line of Sight avoidance is also very useful. Say you're kiting a DK; he has a few ranged abilities, primarily melee though. You can't seem to avoid his howling blasts, but there is a pillar/stone/something solid nearby. Just duck around the corner, and whatever he does do the opposite. It gives you some nice free time to cleanse, heal up, et cetera. If he's slowed? Even better. One really magnificent trick is to HoJ/BL right as you're about to drop from their LoS, so that they not only have to wait out the CC; but chase you around the pillar as well. Excellent free time to catch up on health or even just let CD's come up for you or fall off of him (Incredibly useful for CC'ing somebody, without actually CC'ing them. Someone popped trinket? Kite him around a pillar for days. No LOS, no chance.)

Do not ever, ever backpedal. Strafing is your pride and joy while kiting. It gives such wonderful access to easy movement as well as a line of sight to your target to keep hammering them.

Try playing a caster if you can, mages are very nice to learn how to kite with. Once you've learned it once you never forget how.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
If you dont get burden of guilt try switching to seal of justice it helps when kiting a lot. just do a runby crusader strike to apply it freedom their snare and your home free.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Kiting?

Use something that slows/stops them and run away

OR

Use something that boosts your mobility and run away

Emancipate, trinket and hand of freedom are your friend
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
hand of freedom + judgement + opposite direction of enemy while jumping

If situation calls for it you could swap seals to seal of justice to slow target

Use LoS to your advantage if there are pillars. Don't blindly run to a direction be aware of your surrounding and the place you are moving towards.

make a macro to use holy prism on your self. Some rets don't do this when they should.

heal your self while kiting if needed.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
Now I know Im opening myself up to get flamed like crazy here, but here we go.

Doesn't the idea of a plate class with a two handed weapon having to kite make anyone else a little sick to thier stomach? Maybe Im misunderstanding but it sounds like my character might as well get a robe and wand.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Now I know Im opening myself up to get flamed like crazy here, but here we go.

Doesn't the idea of a plate class with a two handed weapon having to kite make anyone else a little sick to thier stomach? Maybe Im misunderstanding but it sounds like my character might as well get a robe and wand.

I see it as such an advantage. DKs can kite, to some extent.

Rets? We can kite peoples' balls off, for forever. It's unmeasurably useful to us.

I do understand what you mean though in a sense that anyone in a suit of armor and with a heavy weapon should not be running away from their opponent. I would understand better if we were warriors who simply ran around and slashed things into oblivion. We aren't though; we're holy crusaders, with magic at our disposal. So I it really does fit the part quite well.

I actually decided to roll a ret as my main when I re-subbed because I loved the concept of them being a warrior-magi hybrid.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah I agree that the paladin should not play like a mindless slashing warrior, however something seems off about running away. Its not very "brave defender of the weak"-ish. However I submit to your overall point. granted I only play now and then and havent even reached 90, I have noticed some strategy in getting in there and slashing, then getting out to recover, and then jumping back in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]