Veroicone's Cookie Birthday Cake - Healer OT

90 Blood Elf Monk
You can log in, PM me, then log out. :P
90 Tauren Druid
Don't do it! Mist is really a !@#$%ian prince-in-exile who just needs your BattleTag so he can safely transfer his honestly acquired millions into the US.

As WoW gold.

Really.

Edit: Seriously, Blizz? I can't make a reference to an African country known for e-mails scams and piracy? I didn't name the country that...
Edited by Pipikaula on 1/28/2013 9:51 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
So working on leveling a monk tank and I am too chicken to go to the tanking forums. I was wondering about secondary stats and what to focus on for survivability at later levels when I can actually make that choice. Now it's all whatever the loot gods give lowbies, no reforging or gemming etc etc. And I mostly heal so half the tanking stats are foreign to me.

What I do get is this-
parry-blocks attacks and monks get a reflexive counter passive ability
dodge-evades attacks
crit-fuels elusive brew for on demand doge. is it better to be able to keep this up all the time as opposed to a passive dodge stat?
haste-energy regen and attack speed, so in a more passive way also affects elusive brew
agi gives dodge and crit and attack power
stam gives oodles of HP
monks don't get block because we don't have a shield
hit and expertise keep your stuff from missing-I really wish lower level gear had more of this!!

Is that all correct? What is the priority of importance of these things both while leveling and when you get to the point where you can actively make decisions about it.

I feel like I may just level tank up to 90 and then switch to heals, got a different monk to 85 with healing and I do like monk healing. This was before the nerfs and hotfixes though so I am not sure how much of what I used to do still works.

Edited for grammar fail
Edited by Aestyr on 1/28/2013 10:23 AM PST
90 Pandaren Shaman
Boo! :D
90 Tauren Druid
01/28/2013 10:22 AMPosted by Aestyr
Is that all correct? What is the priority of importance of these things both while leveling and when you get to the point where you can actively make decisions about it.

I recently leveled a brewmaster to 90 and have done a few heroics on her, so here are my thoughts (this was also my first time tanking).

As a monk, your main stat is agility, so you always want as much of that as you can get, both leveling and at max level. Where you go from there will depend on what you want to do about damage you can't or didn't avoid. From what I have seen and read, there seem to be two schools of thought on monk secondary stats that have to do with whether you want to self-heal that damage (semi-passively through Gift of the Ox), or try to improve your avoidance (mostly through Elusive Brew). Personally, I find abusing the heck out of Elusive Brew easier for me.

As such, I follow the "standard" of Hit and Expertise to 7.5% each, then stack Haste>Crit>Mastery, don't worry so much about dodge or parry.

As you level though, tanking is pretty easy so you could probably stack Spirit and get away with it. :D

Edit: And until you hit the Wrath/Cata dungeons, you should make sure you use Guard on CD. It will take care of almost all damage you encounter. Once you reach max level, you will want to save that as a CD to be used right before the boss does something majorly nasty.
Edited by Pipikaula on 1/28/2013 10:49 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
I glyphed Guard at Scarlet Monastery level for the Flamestrike spam and I haven't looked back. Now that I have shuffle I can weather most of the physical damage without things going too nuts and the guard is saved for the spellcasters that melt my face. It was real funny in RFK because the final boss only does chain lightning, I took zero damage from her.

Based on what you just aid though, sounds like I may want to UNglyph it at max level?
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/28/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Reta
Boo! :D

EEP! *hides under a blanket*

You are a panda. *pokes head out*

Pandas are not so bad. Cute and cuddly rather. *cuddles Reta*

Edit- Get mini reese cups. Get mini rolo cups. Eat at same time. Enjoy chocolaty peanut buttery caramelly goodness.
Edited by Aestyr on 1/28/2013 11:14 AM PST
90 Tauren Druid
The Glyph of Guard is situational (everybody's favorite non-answer, yay!). In the lower level dungeons, there is a lot of face-smashing, so having Guard absorb physical damage is more important than the extra 10%, but magic only. Even in the level 90 heroic dungeons, there is a lot of punching going on, espcially on the trash packs, which seem to hit harder than most bosses. I haven't raided with her yet (only iLvl 455, I keep getting distracted and am not interested in doing the rep grind for gear for the 4th time), but there are a few fights where I can see that glyph being handy, such as Feng.

Edit: For a large pack of casters, the Leg Sweep talent is awesomesauce.
Edited by Pipikaula on 1/28/2013 12:12 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
So working on leveling a monk tank and I am too chicken to go to the tanking forums.

Don't be. They're reasonable folks over there, usually.

I was wondering about secondary stats and what to focus on for survivability at later levels when I can actually make that choice.

There's an exhaustive guide over in the monk forums. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200079950
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks you guys. Also finished my xmog yay :3 I just needed to stop being lazy. Not sure if it is being fully loaded on this site yet though. Anyways, I like blue.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Nerfheals and I regularly post over in the tanking forums. (I usually post on runtime) The tanks over there don't bite... usually
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/28/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Viena
Nerfheals and I regularly post over in the tanking forums. (I usually post on runtime) The tanks over there don't bite... usually

Why do I feel like you're lying to me?

*pokes head into tank forums* It's safe Aestyr
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I dont know. I was just suggesting that there may be a few posters that come out during a full moon that may or may not have sharp teeth.
90 Blood Elf Monk
Tank forums are to be avoided at all costs.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/28/2013 03:52 PMPosted by Mist
Tank forums are to be avoided at all costs.

Dont you love your tanks? Why wouldn't you want to talk to them?
Edited by Viena on 1/28/2013 4:01 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Monk
01/28/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Viena

I can't count how many times I've had to say "!@#$%^-IT <tank>" in my time playing this game.

That classifies as talking, right?
90 Blood Elf Priest
I like the Tank forum community, I don't post (or tank lol), but they all seem really intelligent/articulate for the most part.

DPS forums make any other look pretty good though.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

I can't count how many times I've had to say "!@#$%^-IT <tank>" in my time playing this game.

That classifies as talking, right?

Eh maybe. Im a former tank and so I just yell at tanks to hit their buttons more. Like a DK would be "DEATH STRIKE MOAR" and a monk would be "SHUFFLE MOAR" or a more general "HIT YOUR BUTTONS HARDER."My only regret from leaving tanking is that I now have to let other people do it.
Edited by Viena on 1/28/2013 4:14 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
I love my tanks.

Well, one of them. >.>
90 Pandaren Shaman
"its come to my attention that im bringing the guild down. so im going to stop raiding. good luck."

forum post from one of our tanks.

well, tonight should be interesting.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]