Barth alliance is DEAD

90 Human Warrior
I am sure I underestimate the cost of course, as I'm not an accountant nor do I have any sound knowledge of what it takes to keep something like that afloat, however, what I do know is that Blizzard is a company that are able to make literally millions within hours of releasing something as ludicrous as a sparkle-pony mount. I'm really doubtful that cost, when stripped back to just that - raw cost - is the biggest factor.

The migration of this data would be fairly simple. They already do something similar with realm transfers.

It's mainly a public relations/customer service issue (resolving say similar character in a manner that wouldn't annoy their customers).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

I am sure I underestimate the cost of course, as I'm not an accountant nor do I have any sound knowledge of what it takes to keep something like that afloat, however, what I do know is that Blizzard is a company that are able to make literally millions within hours of releasing something as ludicrous as a sparkle-pony mount. I'm really doubtful that cost, when stripped back to just that - raw cost - is the biggest factor.

As someone else said, I guess it would 'look bad' to shareholders and I can understand that. But I do think that as Blizzard's wow population gets older (and let's face it, many of us have been playing this game for years) we do give a little more thought to company ethics and the steps a company takes to keep its consumers happy.

I was faced with this recently, my guild chose to go horde. While I love playing and am not ready to uninstall just yet, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely angry paypaling 150+ to get my characters over to a faction that had better 'quality of life' so to speak.

This isn't my first time 'round the block. I've seen this happen to Thaurissan and 2 years down the track, Ally Thaur are still in the same pitiful state. Blizzard got my 150+ back then, and they just got it once more.

I highly doubt there will be a next time. Not because my enjoyment of the game is dwindling, but I think realms should have more than a shelf life of 2 years before crumbling - or at the very least, steps should be taken to remedy the impact it has on the enjoyment of the game.

Alliance is fine. It isn't enormous like Horde, but it's fine. You can whine about having to spend 150 dollars to get on the better faction, but you can't pretend you were forced to. You made the decision to leave Alliance. You made the decision to make the lesser faction even lesser by leaving.

Wasn't aware a conversation was 'whining' but even such.
"Fine" is a personal opinion, one many people would disagree with. If you enjoy making money on the auction house, having ALT's see raid content or have any idea of the raiding recruitment cycle, you might also question how 'fine' it really is.

I'm not knocking Barth Alliance, it was the place I chose to pay said 150 bucks to become a part of 2 years ago, but it's a shadow of what it was then and if my own experience is anything to go by, in 6 months it will be worse. There are still people enjoying and playing on Ally side Thaurissan, perhaps they consider 300 or so characters 'fine', but no, I do not.

Being forced is also subjective. If the realm/faction you are on doesn't allow you to experience the things you enjoy, you either stop playing or find a way to enjoy those things.
I spent 150 (again) because I'm not ready to uninstall the game and quit playing, that doesn't make the situation any less annoying.

While metaphors are always in bad taste, you are basically saying that wanting to improve ones environment (virtual or otherwise) is something to frown upon and that leaving a sinking ship is not helping those left on it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
It's worse and getting worse because people keep leaving.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
http://www.netmba.com/strategy/matrix/bcg/

Look up the Cash Cow, that is the stage in which WoW is...no more needs to be said
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
And people keep leaving because it gets worse and worse.

Classic positive feedback loop - the system is going to destroy itself.

--------

You can't say "Barth alliance is fine" and expect to be taken seriously. With all respect to Phantas, who I really like, when Gig died serious PVE on this faction died with them, from the same disease that has been eating every guild from them down - no local recruits on a declining faction, and a serious competitive disadvantage for drawing transfer recruits to a declining faction.

Trade chat activity is getting very rare, and mostly involves No Dice guys reminding everyone about how great they are, and people getting angry about that. The auction house is suffering massively reduced turnover. PUGs are getting super rare. The remaining casual raiding guilds are breaking down.

PVE wise, Barthilas alliance is terminal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

You can't say "Barth alliance is fine" and expect to be taken seriously. With all respect to Phantas, who I really like, when Gig died serious PVE on this faction died with them, from the same disease that has been eating every guild from them down - no local recruits on a declining faction, and a serious competitive disadvantage for drawing transfer recruits to a declining faction.

It's been slowly getting worse since Vanilla. Pre-TBC you had I think Snitch/Affinity/Dominion on Alliance and Crimson Wrath on Horde all pushing for server firsts. I know the content was something most of us had done before but people were hitting Naxx before the AQ gates were opened in gear that was less then optimal for that tier of content. Barthilas at the time was extremely competitive.

When TBC was released Affinity imploded and transferred to Jubei'Thos to do the whole nova level/man train thing. This left Gigantor as the dominate guild on this realm (latency was just a Horde fluke). Being the top guild they had the option to poach from below and there only alliance competition was Schism post-Sphinx. There was Reincarnation but you needed to eat a special kind of rice to roll with those guys.

Despite the change from 40 -> 25man content you still needed to be in a guild to get access to decent gear. Sure you could pug Karazhan and SSC/TK to some but you needed a semi decent guild to clear T6 content. PVP'ers who wanted to really max/min with that 4pc/4pc combo still had to raid.

Add the changes we've had over the years (10/25 raids sharing the same lockout, heroic gear from each being identical, pvp power being introduced) and you'll have your player base fragmenting all over the place. What were 40 man then 25 man guilds are not groups of 5 - 10 people logging on one or two days a week. The game has changed from individual progression via others to just individual progression by dailies in whatever form.

Look at the number of guild mergers Ensidia merging with Envy. Vodka and Exodus. The high level PVP'ers now transferring to a same realms/faction to arena. Alliance is busy on Frostmourne. Horde is busy on Tichondrius/Barthials. There are huge number of transfers to Malgainis Horde at the moment (judging by auction listing increases by new characters). The players themselves are trying to consolidate.

As your rightly mentioned Gigantor dying is a huge sign that any serious progression at least on Alliance is now over.

I wouldn't be shocked to find 25 man raids vanishing completely in the next expansion or Blizzard having a knee-jerk reaction and introducing something like 40 mans raids back into the mix to try and slow the drain.

Blizzard has accidentally removed one of the M's from MMORPG along the way.

tl;dr: yep
Edited by Houk on 1/22/2013 2:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
[quote]
When TBC was released Affinity imploded and transferred to Jubei'Thos to do the whole nova level/man train thing. This left Gigantor as the dominate guild on this realm (latency was just a Horde fluke). Being the top guild they had the option to poach from below and there only alliance competition was Schism post-Sphinx. There was Reincarnation but you needed to eat a special kind of rice to roll with those guys.

Just to clarify this part, Affinity in TBC drifted rather than imploded, we formed two 10man teams, one being the ace team the other being, well the other, once all officers and GM moved on everyone else left. Purevil was left with the GM tag and he ended up giving it to some Gig alt sitting in the guild. The travel to Jubei was actually a Snitch/Affinity effort lead by Soj. It was sort of an ongoing joke which was a great deal of fun if you were in on it.

~Elkchaser
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

PVE wise, Barthilas alliance is terminal.

Wotever, I'm happy in my super exclusive and elite guild, <BAL BAG>.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
Guild name is now accurate
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
no dice, heart of barthilas

keeping barthilas alive
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
no dice is the only thing left on barth ally
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
AND us..
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Don't worry in preparation of patch 5.2 Ascension is moving to barth alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Leave Rofladin horde if you do, cheers.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
ANYWAY, Barth is dying, yes, it's sad, but KHAZ'GOROTH ALLIANCE is MORE ALIVE THAN EVER AND IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT AEQUUS'S EARLY TEAM (7-9pm Thurs, 7-9:30/10pm Fri, 5:30-8:30 Sun) ARE RECRUITING.

We have space for one awesome healer (pref pally, shaman or druid) and 1(maybe 2??) dpsers (hunter, enhance sham or dps warrior/dk preferred [WE HAVE NO PLATE DPSERS BTW!]). We have an extremely dedicated raid leader and very well organised/stocked guild bank for raiders courtesy of our GM. Our progression is !@#$, don't look that up, but all we need is YOU! to send us up the escalator of awesomeness. Please don't allow my dorkfulness to put you off applying, because you really should apply. We don't actually have a website so add me on battle tag for a chat if interested (Espy#6259). Trolls welcome aswell although I cannot guarantee how long your stay on my friends list will be.

01/23/2013 09:36 PMPosted by Korvak
Don't worry in preparation of patch 5.2 Ascension is moving to barth alliance.

Puck you miss
Reply Quote
Rather transfer to another alliance server than keep seeing the alliance rejects that transferred to horde.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
As a active member of WBSH, I must say we are glad for our alliance to be dieing. Less retards on ally and more on the horde gives us more world pvp fights. And we always WIN. WBSH out
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Oh hi Esperanza, Khaz now?

(Miasm btw)

Edit: Just saw the date...
Edited by Clockwork on 4/28/2013 8:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
28 Draenei Priest
nice necro
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]