Question about new character models

91 Human Rogue
With the new character models coming will the Orcs finally loose their hunchback? In the MoP intro for Horde we see General Nazgrim and Garrosh doing everything upright (unless im blind and they are not). Is it a sign of things to come? *crosses fingers*
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
You know, I really hope so. I thought they'd introduce new character models in MoP, and was disappointed when I found they hadn't. Let's hope they'll have that done soon. An orc with a lack of kyphosis would be nice, along with humans that don't run like complete idiots.

A few more customization features wouldn't hurt, either; GW2 offers some real great customizing. But that's asking for a bit too much from WoW... GW2's graphics are damn good.
Edited by Veptember on 1/4/2013 4:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
No one really knows yet exactly what they're going to do. But I've been following the subject for the lat couple of years and it feels like they're going to keep the style of models as they are, but make them more detailed and fluid like the later models.
Reply Quote
33 Human Priest
01/04/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Rehnjuh
No one really knows yet exactly what they're going to do. But I've been following the subject for the lat couple of years and it feels like they're going to keep the style of models as they are, but make them more detailed and fluid like the later models.

Agreed. I doubt they would start new models of the old races from scratch - they'll probably just revise them.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
It's possible I think they will tweak little things with the announced model updates like Orc posture. Orcs are "supposed" to have hunch backs in the concept art, but not to the extreme you see in WOW. Their necks should be hunched at an angle, but their shoulders should not be hunched. In the Jade Forest intro, Nagrim and Garrosh have both clearly had their shoulders changed to reflect this. Thrall's new model does this as well. If you walk backwards with an Orc model in game, they actually do this as you can see here. This is how the orc model "should" look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/evilknick/WoW/orcback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/evilknick/WoW/orcback2.jpg

As you can see, there is still a hunch to their posture but their backs and shoulders are more straight and upright. But so far, we don't know if the model updates will reflect this. It's possible they may though if Nazgrim, Garrosh, and Thrall are any indication.

Agreed. I doubt they would start new models of the old races from scratch - they'll probably just revise them.
In a way there are doing them from scratch. They aren't just going to be given more polys and more textures, they are being built to have the same animation detail and expression of the Pandaren, which means they will be made new from scratch in that sense.

But they will probably have the exact same shaped skeleton, just with more articulation points for animations. Every different nose and face and eye and hair selection you see today will be recognizable in the updates, but they will be sort of imagined with more style and more detail. Their animations will be essentially the same, but with more animated bounce and life in their movements, probably more akin to Thrall's new model or the Pandaren which use more exaggerated physics and bouncy movements.

This Tauren sculpt from Blizzard artist Nick Carver is a good example of a Tauren model that is more advanced while keeping the spirit of the model intact.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/evilknick/WoW/nickcarvertauren3.jpg
Edited by Elrith on 1/4/2013 5:07 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]