Easiest Healer

10 Worgen Warrior
Hello everyone, Me and my son decided to get this game to play together over the holidays. The problem however is that my son has only one arm. We have bought him a mouse with several buttons on it so it becomes a lot easier for him. He decided he wanted to play a healer, at the moment he is favoring the shaman and the paladin after playing them all to around level 10. I also read that healers use bar clicking via add-ons like healbot.

Back to my point; i was wondering at level 90 which healer you believe is easiest to manage. He is also very young (under 10) and combined with a single arm it will become increasing difficult to manage a lot while having to move with the mouse as well. Ive seen him play other games, and the toolbox size can be fairly big with his mouse but he does sometimes get frustrated when the mechanics are a little difficult.( i.e. druids being a mobile healer would be out of the question for him, as well as fights where you have to have prior knowledge)That's why i kinda hinted towards a shaman or paladin because they are more reactive as i,m told. He understands heroic raiding might be out of his reach but he would really like to play all the content such as 10 man normal raids.

Thank you for reading and talking to the time
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I think Paladin is probably the simplest in terms of healing style, it is very straightforward.

You may want to look into the add-on called Healium. It creates a UI on his screen that shows each player, and next to each player, buttons that represent each of his character's healing abilities. This would allow him to quickly see which player needs healing - because that player's health bar would be low - and then click on the heal he wanted to cast on that player. E.g. if he wanted to cast Divine Light on you, he would click on the button showing the Divine Light icon next to your name; he could then cast Flash of Light on himself by clicking the button showing the Flash of Light icon next to his name. While I haven't used this add-on myself, it certainly sounds like it might be useful for him.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/healium

Welcome to WoW, I hope you and your son have a great time! :)
Edited by Dayani on 1/5/2013 5:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'd actually probably suggest disc.

Atonement healing is very few buttons, and since they're smart heals, he doesn't have to individually target the raid members, which can be difficult to juggle while attempting to move with the mouse.

And, well, it's a pretty damn strong spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Holy Paladins are a good bet. A lot of direct healing spells, so they hit all at once and are generally bigger in amount. So when someone starts taking a good amount of damage, you can usually throw a big heal their way and top off their health quickly.

Discipline Priests would also be good. They have absorption shields to prevent damage, which can be put on people quickly. Having the shields gives more time to react and heal.

As for addons. I would recommend looking into something that changes the user interface so that party/raid members are easier to identify. At which point healing spells can be bound to the mouse side buttons, with either addons or macros, to be easily cast by having the mouse cursor over the targets name/health. This also leave the 2 primary mouse buttons available to rotate the camera and move your character.

I personally use the stock WoW interface for healing (i'm OCD about addons). I do this with "mouse over" macros. However healing addons work really well, and add tons of convenience, even if they may seem overwhelming at first with the amount of options.

Good luck, and i hope your son finds WoW a fun experience.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Atonement healing is very few buttons, and since they're smart heals, he doesn't have to individually target the raid members, which can be difficult to juggle while attempting to move with the mouse.

While he'd definitely be able to get along fine using just Atonement, if he doesn't like that particular gameplay or wants to work with more of the toolkit, he's going to run into a problem. Priests have a pretty huge healing toolkit. Plus, given what the OP said about preemptive healing, I very much think Disc is not the answer.

Spell-wise, Paladins are going to be more straightforward. If he's not a fan of them, I might suggest Shaman, but MoP beefed their toolkit up by requiring more totem interaction.
Edited by Elethia on 1/6/2013 7:28 AM PST
Reply Quote

I don't know if I would recommend Disc. Pure Atonement healing is only a few buttons, yes, but to make the most of Disc, you have a whole ton of spells to be using and a lot of small cooldowns to be constantly popping.

I don't know how much money you want to invest, but a Razer Naga mouse could definitely help a lot, you can bind spells to the buttons to cast with one hand, though it's only 12 buttons if you can't make use of an additional modifier (like Shift).

I would probably go with Paladin.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/05/2013 05:35 AMPosted by Flatfoot
druids being a mobile healer would be out of the question for him

I would argue that Druids would be a fun healer for him to play. A majority of our heals are instant cast and heal over time, allowing for a simple click on a player and move when required. I use an addon called VuhDo that is robust, has many customization options for mousebindings (e.g. left mouse button casts Rejuvination, right mouse button Swiftmend, scrollwheel up Wild Growth, scrollwheel down Lifebloom, etc.), and excellent at communicating pertinent healing information.

Couple that capability with being able to run forward by clicking both mouse buttons at the same time, he should be able to maintain plenty of movement for raids. Though you'd have to bind the jump key to a mouse button.... true Rdruids jump incessantly!

Happy WoW-ing!
Edited by Panav on 1/6/2013 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I would not go with Shaman unless he is good at maintaining several abilities on cooldown.

I would go with a Paladin. Much easier to understand. There are a few core healing abilities and they don't have much buff maintenance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Id suggest pally since they are easy to play with straight forward easy to pop cds but pallys are very easy to overheal since hots from other healers top people up before u can get a good cast off
Reply Quote
I'd say paladin for sure, only 6 heals at max. Really simple to understand. Add on wise i'd go with Heal Bot. In the spellbook, core abilities, it also gives descriptions(really basic) of when to use the spell. This will give him a good understanding of the class at the start.

Just one thing with paladins is you don't get your basic heal until level 34(this annoyed me when i level'd another paladin).

Welcome to WoW. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Shamans, paladins, and disc priests can all work well. I take it you've already set him up with a click-to-heal addon, which is good.

I don't know what your budget is like, but if you're able to afford more hardware/peripherals, this:
http://www.gamingmouse.com/gaming/fragpedal/quad/

might dramatically improve your son's experience on the PC, not just in WoW but in other games and applications. For WoW specifically, it might be particularly useful for movement, and voice chat when he's old enough that you want to allow it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
See, this is a post that actually has a point, much better than most of these other "which healur best me want be op" threads.

I'd say paladin is a good choice at the moment. They are very unlikely to become a "bad" spec and they honestly don't have many buttons to press as part of the standard healing "rotation"

I'd suggest getting the addon "bartender", which allows you to move your action bars to a more convenient location and also resize them. It could help with minimizing the amount of mouse movement needed to activate his cooldowns and really help him deal with any limitation he might be experiencing.

I'm not certain, but there might be a way to set one key on his mouse to be a modifier key, as well, if he wants to be able to control cooldowns that way. (meaning he holds that one down then say right clicks and then it pops (as an example) avenging wrath)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Priest

2 buttons will do ya 90% of the time. And they will make you look awesome on LFR heal charts where thats all they care about.

It is seriously that faceroll easy. You really don't even need any kind of addon or bars, Just target one person the entire time. Its stupid.

And then, if you choose to, you can get into the other buttons that will make you an even better priest healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I do not recommend a priest. We have way to many cooldowns to manage, so unless he becomes a real good clicker I don't think a priest would be easy on him.

A shaman might work, but do keep in mind the totems. I haven't played a shaman in MoP yet so I can't give much detail on this.

I've never played a paladin but it seems to be the most recommended class for your son.

As mentioned above, pedals to put on the floor might be a pretty good investment. He could bind his movement abilities on them.

If he has his right arm, maybe you could bind some cooldowns on the number pad on the keyboard. He then could quickly hop on the number pad to pop a cooldown and go back on the mouse, or something like that.

This thread actually made me tear up a bit... An actual thread with players giving advice to a good cause... Why can't everyone be this understanding of other people's situations?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I would recommend (like so many others in the thread) the Paladin as your son's class of choice. The toolkit is fairly minimal, and the class is well-suited for standing and bombing heals.

I would also recommend an addon like Vuhdo. It allows for full customization of keybinds with alt/ctrl/shift modifiers (which I'm sure can be bound in-game to a mouse button) and the mouse wheel. The other (and probably better) addon recommendation I'd make would be Healium - that layout mentioned in Dayani's post would make the best sense for a click-healer.

Again, if your budget can afford it, I would look into some sort of foot pedals; movement and cooldowns could be bound to those as well.

I wish you both the best of luck, and welcome to WoW!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
01/06/2013 07:47 PMPosted by Cavin
This thread actually made me tear up a bit... An actual thread with players giving advice to a good cause... Why can't everyone be this understanding of other people's situations?

That would make too much sense.

I'm also on the boat with Paladin. Shaman healing got a bit more complicated, particularly in some contexts(raid healing mostly, though not sure if he'd ever do LFR) with the totems and such. Five man healing I don't really use them in much.

If he has his right arm, I'd suggest rebinding the movement keys to the numpad if anything else, and you can also open the options menu and down at the bottom under "Help" check "enable move pad" which opens up a direction pad on the screen he can click arrow buttons to move his character with.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Shamans are not easy anymore, we juggle a lot of CD's at any given time. HST, HTT, HR, Ascendance, SL, Unleash elements. Plus Storm Lash for DPS and other utility totems if we are needed for them.

It's not like back in Wrath were you dropped 4 totems and spammed chain heal. There is actually alot of keep track of. Add in that we aren't very mobile healers and I think it would be false to call Shamans a easy healing class.

I think I'm with everyone else with Holy Pallies but just keep in mind... you spend enough time with a healer and they will feel easy. So I'd suggest playing whatever healer you find fun instead of what is the easiest.

Also I would recommend Healbot for him, it is really easy to set up and get going and really easy to understand, I think it's best for someone so young.
Edited by Styxion on 1/7/2013 9:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Probably disc priest. They're super easy to level and you can get by with alot as a disc priest if you know how to throw out shields and hit prayer of healing.

Paladins are a good bet too as previously mentioned.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/5524/pohn.jpg

another vote for disc priest.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]