Next WoW Expansion?

90 Draenei Shaman
Well let me just say that Blizzard actually has said at least once before that they'll be wrapping up the warcraft universe with one final expansion after MoP. At Blizzcon once, unless I'm mistaken. They're hoping to have their new MMO pretty put together in a couple years, I believe.

I think it's pretty obvious that the one "ultimate evil" of the warcraft universe always has been, and always will be, Sargeras.

This guy has had Azeroth on his !@#$ list ever since he was metaphorically %^-*! slapped back into the Well of Eternity during the War of the Ancients. He's been pretty determined to tear us a new @#$%^-*! ever since.

Across the last couple expansions, we've seen an increasing amount of new lore about the Titans and their constructs. Almost as if, not surprisingly, they're building up a big reveal of some sort that has to do with the Titan Pantheon, which we've already known for a long time Sargeras is a former member.

I want to point out, just to support Sargeras as public enemy #1, that just about every major event was the result of Sargeras' grudge.

So Sargeras tells Kil'jaeden to come up with a way to weaken Azeroth so he can just kind of take over. Of course, Kil'jaeden's bright idea was to turn the orcs into bloodthirsty warmongers and let them have their way with us. Meanwhile, Sargeras has already tricked Aeqwynn into "killing" him so he can hide in her unborn child.

So there's the First War, went pretty well until the orcs started killing each other instead so that plan was a bust.

Kil'jaeden's next great idea was to take this guy Ner'zhul, stuff him in a block of ice and armor, and throw him at us. Pretty good plan. Can't stop a demonic invasion if everyone's a zombie, am I right?

Of course, Ner'zhul was pretty pissed at the whole frozen in ice forever thing (having his soul ripped to pieces probably didn't help) and that plan went south real fast seeing as he really didn't care about it in the first place.

I imagine at this point Sargeras is pretty pissed.

So here's a little something I noticed in game, and I'm not sure if anyone else has.

When you first meet Wrathion at the Tavern in the Mists, he gives a nice little speech about how some horrible darkness is coming and we're all doomed if the Alliance and Horde don't set aside their differences to stop it.

He also shows us a cute little hologram of Azeroth. With giant green asteroids hurtling towards it. Yeah, those are infernals about to rain down on us. Exactly like the opening cinematic for Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos. Remember that one?

The second arrival of the Legion, and this time Sargeras himself, is clearly imminent. Really, I feel like it couldn't be more obvious unless the CDevs went ahead and spelled it out for us in a blue post. We could probably plug up the Maelstrom with all the npcs that like to rant about the upcoming darkness and impending doom.

With this last expansion we'll see, I hope, a couple things happen. Aegqynn will return and play a big role in Sargeras' downfall, mostly as repentance for the whole Medivh/Dark Portal/Orcish invasion thing. At least one of the Titans will return, most likely Aggramar seeing as he's taken up that vacant position of Titan champion.

Here's what will definitely NOT happen:

The Emerald Dream- Sorry, this little mini story already has an ending and there's nothing they want to do to continue it. The conclusion is in Stormrage, a novel by Richard A. Knaack, a really good read that I wholheartedly recommend.

Naga (maybe)- This one is a little bit of speculation on my part. Cataclysm attempted to end this storyline, but there must not have been enough time for a full conclusion. There's a raid portal right next to Throne of Tides that was never used and probably would have been to kill Ozumat and save Neptulon. I feel like the final expansion wouldn't be the right setting for these guys anyway. The Shattering was the perfect opportunity but now it's gone. The Sea Giants seem to have them under control anyway.

A hundred apologies for the wall of text no one will ever read, but the tl;dr is pretty much that there most likely will only be one more expansion, Sargeras is coming, and why there simply can't be anyone else more fitting for the end of the franchise.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think that they could take a few different ways, but this is what I think should happen.
I think Garrosh is going to become the villain and Thrall will return as the warchief of the horde. Maybe he will even take Outland along with whatever villains (besides Sargeras) are still out there looking to cause trouble. Maybe a brand new host of baddies to fight show up to help them out as well as some of them fel orcs. Then if they do another one after this they could bring out Sargeras as the one who has been corrupting Garrosh since the beginning and it becomes an all out war to decide the fate of Azeroth once and for all.
Or they could combine the two and make Sargeras just like, the last patch boss.
Just how I imagine it going the way it is.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Well let me just say that Blizzard actually has said at least once before that they'll be wrapping up the warcraft universe with one final expansion after MoP. At Blizzcon once, unless I'm mistaken. They're hoping to have their new MMO pretty put together in a couple years, I believe

Quite sure they have never stated this. They talked about wanting to have WoW still running alongside the new 'Titan' game which I would imagine won't be released for another 2 years maybe, hopefully at Blizzcon they talk about it more and unveil what it will be.

I think they said that as long as WoW is still popular they won't stop making expansions. There are hundreds of ideas they have for new stuff I would imagine, plus they made comments on the dozens of others races they would like as playable.

It's just been players that circulated the rumor that they don't want to go above level 100 or something, or that there will be only 2 more expansion. Countless documents, that were fake, have also circulated stating each expansion and stuff.

I personally hope they continue WoW for awhile, even if they had a problem with characters going above level 100 and decided to have you start anew in a new world or something I would be fine with it. I hope to keep playing WoW for a long time, I love the game and story(Even if some of the Story is really messed up).

The Emerald Dream- Sorry, this little mini story already has an ending and there's nothing they want to do to continue it. The conclusion is in Stormrage, a novel by Richard A. Knaack, a really good read that I wholheartedly recommend.

Technically Malfurion just locked it away in the Rift of Aln(I think that's the word can't remember atm), but the Nightmare itself is still alive considering it's the influence of an Old God.

I do hope they don't have an Emerald Dream Expansion, I personally think everyone besides Druids, Ancients, Green Dragons should stay away from the Dream.
Edited by Haely on 2/4/2013 3:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
We need to resolve the Azshara/Neptulon questline which hopefully will be it's own expansion to where we can go to Nazjatar.

Also next expansion is definitely about the Burning Legion. Velen is preparing Anduin to the lead the army of the light and Wrathion shows us an image of fireballs hitting Azeroth akin to infernals invading from the nether. The tamer in Felwood also speaks of the return of Sargeras as well as the satyr we free in Hyjal.

Would love to visit Argus where the main base of the legion is at and possibly even K'aresh and see the ethereal homeworld. We can even visit Xoroth and see wild dreadsteeds. We can possibly traverse these areas on the repaired Exodar flying us around space.

I am thinking the same. My bets are on a pre-expansion event where nagas and Faceless Ones attack the main cities while both Horde and Alliance are busy with the siege of Orgrimmar. Azhara would probably call back the Legion and maybe even attack the isle of Quel'danas and take back the Sunwell with the Legion too.
My other bet is Alleria and Turalyon (and maybe Med'an?) showing up on one the portals of Outland (the one in Nagrand, the one in Zangarmarsh or the one in Blade's Edge Mountains) warning us of a all the might of the Legion coming back. Or Sabellian coming back from Outland to warn Wrathion.
Also both things could happen :P
It would be awesome to see Varimathras, Detheroc and Balnazzar again as raid bosses (and I am sure they will).
Edited by Madmartygan on 2/6/2013 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
A legion invasion from Xoroth, players must fight the invaders on Azeroth as well as on the world the Dreadsteeds call home.

The Emerald Dream/Nightmare (one can still hope)

The Arathi front

Kul'Tiras
Reply Quote
I think we will see Kul'Tiras as a battleground and nothing more. If you look at where it is supposed to be on a map, there is very little room.

I want two new races. I don't know what they will be. Maybe high elves for the Alliance, and something equally cool for the Horde. I'm sure Blizzard has something good in mind.

Story: Could be anything. For PvE I think Capital City Raids would be fun. But everyone hints at this "darkness" thats coming...well I guess that'll be the next expansion.
Reply Quote
I think the next expansion should have something to do with Topper McNabb finally getting paid and hiring an army of Murlocs to lay seige to Azeroth...just my thought.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/06/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Madmartygan
Azhara would probably call back the Legion and maybe even attack the isle of Quel'danas and take back the Sunwell with the Legion too.

Well, the naga have never once worked with the Burning Legion. They've even gone so far as to ally themselves with Illidan for a time so they could actually fight the Legion.

02/06/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Madmartygan
It would be awesome to see Varimathras, Detheroc and Balnazzar again as raid bosses (and I am sure they will).

I wish we could see them again too, but unfortunately Balnazzar is quite dead, Detheroc is presumed dead because there's been no evidence that he survived, and Varimathras disappeared. Since he is an agent of the Legion and he did escape so it's very likely we haven't seen the last of him.

As for poor Kul'Tiras, they seem to be dying out on their own, what with all the pirates. It's defintiely something I've always wanted to see in game, being the only inaccessible human kingdom, so I'll just keep hoping for now :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I can easily see alot of plots in the future of Azeroth.
Pandaria's end will set '' peace'' between the Horde rebellion and the Alliance.
probably the Old horde( Garrosh's one) will cease to exist and a New Horde will arise.

with that context i can see the legion's back to Azeroth but this time they'll not send someone first to do their job( like orcs ,scourge or the pre-invasion by Draenor) they will smash us like they do in the War of the Ancients.

the Major patche will be set on Argus and we'll use their own tech against them and so we'll invade Argus and Kil'jaeden's home world( this xpac should focus on Warcraft 3,the return of Me'dan,Sylvanas and Her sister,the leftovers of Outland campaign,Illidan's true History after the Black temple ( if he is dead or alive,or captive with the crazed maiev Shadowsong))

After we dealt with the main forces of the legion we'll back home only to see Azshara bring trouble to the South shores of the World( Pandaria,south kalimdor and southwest Eastern Kingdoms) and we'll force her to back to the abyss she came.( this expansion will only bring New things to the lore,like a new land to explore, nagas,the rescue of Neptulon,the sea witchs and their cult ,no more trolls,titans, twilight hammers or Legion's agents.)

After All these longs years of wars, Azeroth will rest in peace for 20 years, and them the Mantid with a new swarm,the Nerubians with their empire rebuild,the Aqir no longer in charge of C'thun's controls, will reunited and begin a campaign of N'zoth Liberation,Yogg n Y'shaarj rebirth to conquer Azeroth againsts the Usupers,they're coming to put azeroth a flame. and the biggest war will be set in Azeroth! ( in this xpac we'll not be sided with no one of them,cuz which one want the former azeroth destroyed,and a war with 3 sides,we( horde n ally) with the help of all neutrals forces against the Usupers and the Old ones!)

sorry about my english its not my main language,but i expect you all understand.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What we do know, according to Metzen, is that whatever we deal with next after MoP, Alleria and Turalyon will be involved and we will need their help*. I think it's safe to assume we can easily eliminate the Emerald Dream (in my opinion, even prior to Metzen stating this) for the next expansion. However, I still believe we'll see the Emerald Dream someday either be it as an expansion or content patch.

Lore session for any of those who don't know. During the invasion of Draenor, Ner'zhul opened many portals to other worlds before his actions eventually led to Khadgar and Turalyon/Alleria having to stay behind and close the Dark Portal. This caused a massive explosion, as you would expect (think of Deathwing's cataclysm times two). After that Turalyon/Alleria went M.I.A.

Now, with that being said, Outland is only a chunk of what Draenor used to be. My theory is that Alleria and Turalyon somehow got split off from the rest of Outland and had to escape via one of the portals left behind by Ner'zhul to a new world, perhaps Argus or Xoroth (as Anargyros mentioned earlier), both worlds being ruled over by the Burning Legion. Personally, I would love to see both worlds show up in one expansion (come on Blizzard, thats not too much to ask for!).

As a side note, without spoiling anything, I'll be keeping close tabs on that 5.2 warlock questline and how it develops over time. I wonder if it will have any lore tie ins? Now that is some serious speculation...

*and for those wanting a source on the Alleria/Turalyon tid-bit here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvJpncNZdls

The Chris Metzen part starts at 2 hours and 9 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Whatever route they decide to go with, I hope they finally give us some resolution to this stupid Horde-Alliance war. It seems like every major offensive has, y'know, done its level best to not actually result in major fighting. Garrosh wants to invade Stormwind, so his fleet gets wrecked and now the Horde has to fight in Vashj'ir (and later, rather than simply invading Stranglethorn in force or something, he decides to drop an army on the Twilight Highlands). And, of course, the Horde decides to open the new expansion with another invasion... which, of course, fails to actually invade anything important.

It seems like the place least threatened by Garrosh's invasion fleets is the place that he's allegedly trying to invade. Instead of threatening Stormwind, he's invading everything else by proxy. Probably so he can cut down more forests to build more ships to conduct additional invasions of random places.

As for future expansions, I'd like to see a return to Outland. We basically tore through that place like a whirlwind, killing pit lords and whatnot, and there's been no significant follow-up -- we've spent the three expansions since wading through the redshirts of these enormous invasion armies that never go where they're supposed to. Hopefully Outland would be part of a wider Legion-centric expansion.

Although it'd also be interesting to see an expansion that begins with Sargeras simply wiping taking a page out of Archimonde's play book and leveling both Stormwind and Orgrimmar. It'd give Blizzard an excuse to redesign the cities again.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I wish we could see them again too, but unfortunately Balnazzar is quite dead, Detheroc is presumed dead because there's been no evidence that he survived, and Varimathras disappeared. Since he is an agent of the Legion and he did escape so it's very likely we haven't seen the last of him.

Oh no, they are quite alive, at the end of Stratholme the quest giver says that Balnazzar is not dead, but likely plotting in the Nether with Varimathras and Detheroc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
95 - Burning Legion Finale.
100 - Old Gods/Titans Finale.
Reply Quote
Im guesing 95 is Azshara/Old Gods.
100 is Burning Legion/Sargeras. Final expac.

Stop saying that, EQ2 has 9 expansions, and I think EQ1 has what...18 now?

Why stop at 100? Anarchy Online has a level cap of 240.

If Blizzard can keep squeaking out plot, then no reason to just END WoW <_<
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
If Blizzard ended Wow in the next couple expansions, they'd be morons. Even at 6million subscribers theyd be several times larger then any other mmo and would be raking in money.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I don't see why we would need to kill Sargeras in a Burning Legion expansion, he's sort of dead lorewise, has been for 10,000 years, although his essence is still intact.

Also I don't see why the Burning Legion getting another expansion means It gets ultimately defeated, I'd like to see multiple expansions dealing with the Legion, Xoroth would be amazing, especially if Blizzard makes it like Bator from D&D

And the Emerald Dream would be amazing as an Expansion as well, if it's anything like it was in War of the Ancients, especially the other layers of the Dream where the landscape if half built and abandoned by the Titans. Not to mention we'd finally get a map of old Kalimdor since the Dream is a duplicate of it.

Regardless of what the expansion is however, I just hope WE get to be the heroes, not a superpowerful Leader like Tirion or Thrall
Reply Quote
02/09/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Mephelis
Regardless of what the expansion is however, I just hope WE get to be the heroes, not a superpowerful Leader like Tirion or Thrall

Instead of ripping on the rest of the post ill play nice and just agree with this. I get how Blizzard loves their characters, but we also love ours. I think they started using major lore characters to so that they could better explain lore, but in all honesty it is entirely possible for someone to get slain by someone else who doesn't have his name known by the majority of Azeroth. And even then, we as the players technically do...
Reply Quote
the arrival of sargeras seems like the wow version of the 2nd coming
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I bet it's gonna be about the Legion. Alleria and Turalyon are coming back somehow. Hope High Elves become playable. And, considering the Warlock questline, I think we might explore some origins of the Legion.

But, please, for everything that is good, do not turn Sargeras into some raid boss. It was just pathetic with Deathwing and the LK. No big bad, just the Legion as a Legion.

02/09/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Mephelis

I think both are quite lame. Everything ends up in some convenient and miraculous plot that turns to be the best for the playable side. This whole "Army of Light" will probably be quite poor. I'm also afraid that the Legion will suddenly fall in the next expansion, even despite the fact they have thousands of worlds conquered. That whole talk from Wrathion that "one world shinning brighter than all others" gives me chills. x.x
Reply Quote
Stop saying that, EQ2 has 9 expansions, and I think EQ1 has what...18 now?

Why stop at 100? Anarchy Online has a level cap of 240.

If Blizzard can keep squeaking out plot, then no reason to just END WoW <_<

Well to be fair I seriously doubt Everquest expansions are nearly as costly to develop as WoW expansions, especially if you factor in an expansion's patch cycle as being part of the expansion's total cost. One WoW expansion is probably worth a good two or three EQ expansions at least when it comes to development costs.

Still I agree that it's probably a mistake to predict an absolute number of expansions remaining. As long as developing expansions for WoW is more profitable then reallocating those resources to another game, then Blizzard is going to keep making WoW expansions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]