CRZ killing Professions

90 Draenei Mage
I'm surprised there has not been more recent discussion on this issue.

Hasn't anyone noticed that the supply of mats from zones that are cross-realm? Now I don't know if Blizz increased spawn rates in those zones, but I think not, and that means the same amount of mats are being spread out across multiple realms. So fewer available mats, means more difficult profession levelling.

Then there is the AH effect. Less mats, mean less supply, and thus prices go up. Basic economics. This would be fine, if the AH were also cross-realm! Now we have players from multiple realms mining mats (ores, herbs, and even skins too). So when they have excess mats to sell on the AH, they are now only available to one realm. So if you are in a low-pop realm, you will now have even LESS options on the AH, since whatever mats were being mined in your (cross-)realm are now being sold in another AH you cannot access.

Without the shared distribution of a common AH, the whole economic balance gets thrown out of whack. It would take a better mind than mine to predict the economic impact, but I do know it is not good for maintaining the health of the game economy.

Blizz needs to rethink this CRZ thing. Not a bad idea to try to improve zone activity, but I think the consequences outweigh the benefits. Like everything else, I hope it is a "work-in-progress" and they realize the need to adjust this feature so that materials availability and mid-level mat prices are not so severely affected.

If any of you feel this is NOT a problem on your realm... please chime in.... I'm sure Blizz wants more opinion than my own, and they should know how widespread the issue is. But the way I see it, this is a serious discouragement to recruiting new people (and levelling alts) through beginning zones and content. At a bare minimum, it will help drive people away from the low-population realms, since they wont be able to get any mats.

Maybe that is their intention - get rid of underused servers(realms). But don't you think Blizzard would rather promote new clients and characters, instead of trying to reduce server load because they know they are getting fewer players? That sounds more like planning to "fail" than just failing to plan.

Just my two pence.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Node spawn rates are tied to the frequency that they are picked. So high-pop realms should see higher returns then low-pop realms to compensate for the increased demand. All CRZ does is increase the population of the zone. This leads to an increased spawn rate for the nodes in that zone.

For the most part, I don't think CRZ have negatively affected anyone except for level capped players trying to farm low-level zones. Those players in most cases would be better off farming Mists content, and using the gold to buy the low-level mats that they should really only need to powerlevel a profession once. After which, CRZ should no longer be an issue for that character.

As for the economy, I would imagine that at least 80% of the gold changing hands through the AH covers Mists level content. CRZ is not enabled on current content as people are already populating the zones to the designed levels for their server.

Meanwhile, getting rid of low-pop servers, merging them with other servers, tends to be the first nail in the coffin of a game, signalling its demise. But even if all of those low-pop servers were combined perfectly, the majority of the playerbase is not leveling alts, so those low-level zones that CRZ serves, would still be empty. This feature is a boon to the gaming industry.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
If you have actually tried lvling mining or herbalism since crz. you'd know it's a friggen nightmare till mop. anything that relies on those mats is screwed to paying insanely high prices for lvling
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I had no issues leveling herbalism on my monk after CRZ was introduced.

That said, I would like to see changes to CRZ, as Outland was not designed around level 90s swooping down to steal nodes from age appropriate characters. I would say if you are over level 60, you stay on your own server by default when visiting Vanilla WoW. Over 70, same thing with Outlands zones, unless you group with a level appropriate player or another 70+ who is actually on that server. And so on and so on for WotLK, Cata, and eventually Mists content.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I also have not noticed any issues leveling mining (which I've done twice) or herbalism (which I've done twice) in MoP. I have noticed a little competition for mining nodes in places where ore spawns in supremely high density (such as Felwood), but it's not a problem because there are so many nodes. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary - for instance it's just as hard to farm Adamantite as it's always been, even pre-CRZ.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I have noticed major issues, I cannot say for sure CRZ is the main culprit though (I hate CRZ with a passion). I have noticed problems before CRZ but CRZ definatly doesn't help. By design it increases competition and exacerbates an already bad situation.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
01/10/2013 03:04 PMPosted by Leery
I also have not noticed any issues leveling mining (which I've done twice) or herbalism (which I've done twice) in MoP. I have noticed a little competition for mining nodes in places where ore spawns in supremely high density (such as Felwood), but it's not a problem because there are so many nodes. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary - for instance it's just as hard to farm Adamantite as it's always been, even pre-CRZ.

Try farming the plataue above Shat. I have always had a lot of success there. You can just park your miner in the city, and log in every half hour.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
01/10/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Tiandis
If you have actually tried lvling mining or herbalism since crz. you'd know it's a friggen nightmare till mop. anything that relies on those mats is screwed to paying insanely high prices for lvling

No?
I haven't had a single issue farming anything in low level zones.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
From a crafting perspective, supplies of low-level mats in the old Azeroth range seem to be largely fine (1-300). Supplies of herbs in the Outland/Northrend range seem to be fine too (I levelled Alchemy 1-600 for just over 2000g, including the hundreds of gold spent just at the trainer), but supplies of leather and minerals from Outland/Northrend are a bit low.

There are also a few specific materials that are in very low supply (such as Ghost Mushrooms, which only grow in three spots in the entire game world), but these can largely be worked around when just doing levelling. It would be nice to have some of these rarer materials (Ghost Mushrooms, Gromsblood, Khorium, etc.) become a little more common, but that's more of a convenience thing than a levelling thing.

From the perspective of levelling gathering professions, it's ... a bit complex. All of them level too slow when you have full heirlooms, unless you specifically spend time -just- doing mining/herbing/skinning. Without any heirlooms, the speed is largely okay (though there are a few bottlenecks, such as skinning around 250-300 and mining around 300-350), but it could really do with skillups being increased somewhat (or just more nodes and skinnable beasts along the beaten levelling paths), especially for the vast majority of people who do use heirlooms.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 08:00 AMPosted by Jozie
Try farming the plataue above Shat. I have always had a lot of success there. You can just park your miner in the city, and log in every half hour.

Very good tip, sir! Er... ma'am?

And this brings up a good point. I'm not keen on this game becoming a total cakewalk. They have made so many things easier that it's borderline ridiculous sometimes. I expect professions to be a grind. If you don't, you may want to alter your expectations. But like I said, though there were some frustrating times, I have leveled both mining and herbalism a couple of times in MoP, and if you do your research and ask around for tips, it really isn't that bad. I read a guide with a map to follow around Zul'Drak for cobalt, and lo and behold I had what I needed in around an hour. With most ores being ridiculously plentiful, I couldn't complain too much about having to do a little investigative work to find some of the harder to find ores.
Edited by Leery on 1/11/2013 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
01/10/2013 12:45 PMPosted by Tiandis

I didn't have any issue... Both mining and herbalism were easy to level as I did. Always had multiple stacks to sell at the end of the day across both resources without trying. It has allowed me to raise over 18,000 gold during the process. The only prices that are insanely high were adamantite and fel iron. However you can do 60-70 in Outland in three zones without heirlooms so...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I have had zero problems farming any ore on this toon, except for Fel Iron (still farmed nearly 200 bars). If its not one thing to complain about its another.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I really hadn't had to farm Outland ore in this xpac yet, but it was fine in Cata. Itr appeared then that the same node locations were there, because I could fly the same routes I did back in LK and get the same amount of ore in the same amount of time. I have top speed flying, so that used to help a lot, but now ...

So I had a need to create something which required a considerable amount of Outland ore. I'm on day 2 of gathering in what would have taken me roughly 8 hours to gather in LK or Cata. At first, I attributed the lack of nodes to all of Outland being one huge CRZ and a lot of people farming, but when I started at 6 AM on a Sunday and still found nodes spaced about a mile apart, I reasoned that something had been done to alter node locations and/or spawn rates.

I can't imagine having to level a profession like this. At this rate I'm going to have to farm ores for a couple more days just to get this one item. I don't want to go to the AH either, because that kind of defeats the purpose of having the Master of All cheev. Do you think you could alter the node locations and spawn rates back to what they were in Cata please?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]