"Don't heal him/her"

90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/13/2013 12:43 AMPosted by Astråios
If a tank wants to pull less, then he can either watch me heal myself through the entire first section of trash before a boss with healing agro, and then proceed to kick him...because my time is important to myself, and if me speeding up something for EVERYONE ELSE in the group, is against his preferences, then that's really too bad. I don't know many people who REALLY enjoy heroics, let alone making heroics take even longer than they have to (I prefer my sub-15 minute runs.) The chance of meeting 4 of those in an instance is very low. As such, I think I have the "moral highground" when saying I will continue to pull extra mobs, because I can and because it benefits (most likely) 4/5 members of the group, and our $60/month has more say then his $15/month.

Your "moral high ground" could kiss my butt.

It's my money, and the three other people's, including the tank's, every bit as much as yours.

If you want to pull without mercy, go do challenge modes. Some tanks and dps are still gearing, and most of us actually like to loot. Some are trying to get more proficient as they get gear (remember nobody can do random normal modes at 90) and you're taking away their chance to learn anything.

You're not helping anyone except yourself, and you're teaching people who don't have experience bad habits that will get them kicked later. That's not being a remotely good player, that's being an impatient jerk who should be queuing with guildies who are happy to travel at warp speed and don't care about roles. (In a known group, it can be fun to blow every rule. In a random, ohhellno.)

Sometimes the deserter debuff beats the alternative.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The Minute someone tells me NOT to heal someone, I make sure they constantly have more health than whoever told me to not heal them
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

2. Lecture him on how to play. 95% of the time, the best advice would be "get better gear". But unless you're explaining a specific mechanic, chances are he won't listen. There's a good chance you're actually wrong when you try to play 'expert' like this. Again, you slow the group and wreck someone's day.

Trying this first is always the best idea.

You missed the point: such lectures are almost never well-received. And, frankly, they're often wrong - everyone likes to think they're the universal expert on WoW.

If you have a specific comment to inform someone (such as a boss mechanic), that's one thing. A generic "don't stand in the fire" is something they already knew and aren't going to appreciate. And telling someone how to play their class is an absolute no-no unless they ask you.

Having incompetent players around you is bad. But you know what's worse? Mr. Know-It-All trying to run things.
Reply Quote
01/13/2013 02:00 AMPosted by Bahnshee
If a tank wants to pull less, then he can either watch me heal myself through the entire first section of trash before a boss with healing agro, and then proceed to kick him...because my time is important to myself, and if me speeding up something for EVERYONE ELSE in the group, is against his preferences, then that's really too bad. I don't know many people who REALLY enjoy heroics, let alone making heroics take even longer than they have to (I prefer my sub-15 minute runs.) The chance of meeting 4 of those in an instance is very low. As such, I think I have the "moral highground" when saying I will continue to pull extra mobs, because I can and because it benefits (most likely) 4/5 members of the group, and our $60/month has more say then his $15/month.

Your "moral high ground" could kiss my butt.

It's my money, and the three other people's, including the tank's, every bit as much as yours.

If you want to pull without mercy, go do challenge modes. Some tanks and dps are still gearing, and most of us actually like to loot. Some are trying to get more proficient as they get gear (remember nobody can do random normal modes at 90) and you're taking away their chance to learn anything.

You're not helping anyone except yourself, and you're teaching people who don't have experience bad habits that will get them kicked later. That's not being a remotely good player, that's being an impatient jerk who should be queuing with guildies who are happy to travel at warp speed and don't care about roles. (In a known group, it can be fun to blow every rule. In a random, ohhellno.)

Sometimes the deserter debuff beats the alternative.

Agreed. Your time is hardly any more precious than the others', and the tank is the one in control of the group. If you're pulling for him, you're pulling at a speed he's not comfortable with. How is he ever going to learn his class well if you won't let him do his role? If the tank's pulling slowly and he's not taking much damage and the healer isn't spending much mana, ask him to pull a bit faster. Chances are he'll speed up a bit, especially if the healer says it's ok.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
01/13/2013 07:21 AMPosted by Flintte
Agreed. Your time is hardly any more precious than the others', and the tank is the one in control of the group. If you're pulling for him, you're pulling at a speed he's not comfortable with. How is he ever going to learn his class well if you won't let him do his role? If the tank's pulling slowly and he's not taking much damage and the healer isn't spending much mana, ask him to pull a bit faster. Chances are he'll speed up a bit, especially if the healer says it's ok.

^

If you want to tank, roll as a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
It's nearly impossible for me not to heal someone since I have so many smart heals.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
With proper gear, any class could effectively tank a heroic. Stop worrying about the proper way to clear dungeons, and just blaze through them as fast as possible/collect your gear. I think the most effective way for a tank to learn is to pull as many as possible. If you aren't bad, you should never have any problems. Normal trash pulls require no skill, so pull more to test yourself.

Enjoy!
Reply Quote
01/12/2013 11:12 PMPosted by Lulabells
I don't understand why people get so passionate about these things. Most likely, the pacing of your group is slow, which means the tank is bad.

Since the pace is dictated by Tank > Healer> DPS prefference, that's just not possible. I've run with tanks that prefer to pull small and use CC, runs might take an extra 5 minutes or so with them, and honestly, they are FAR superior to the morons who try to chain pull at warp 10 through a dungeon. Sorry, any player that can't let their group travel at a pace comfortable to EVERYONE in the group, is a bad player, great DPS amazing HPS...that's just fluff, good players are adaptable, and patient. It's not a race, it's an instance, and you aren't the only person in there, and your time isn't worth more than anyone elses in the group. If you're limited on time, dont que.

This. <3
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Priest
I was also playing with a lock on Scarlet Halls who was basically at melee range casting and kept taking tons of damage. I told her that she needs to stay back but she didn't listen. Your the healer, not the tank, so you make the call on who to heal.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
01/13/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Dischealz
I was also playing with a lock on Scarlet Halls who was basically at melee range casting and kept taking tons of damage. I told her that she needs to stay back but she didn't listen. Your the healer, not the tank, so you make the call on who to heal.

A Warlock actually has good reason to be in melee range for some abilities.

If I were a caster taking tons of damage I would also move up because clearly I'm getting threat and I want to be near the tank so they can peel mobs off me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Today I was doing a dungeon and the warlock was terrible. He kept trying to tank and getting himself into trouble.

Anyway, my question is, if the tank tells you not to heal someone because they're trying to do his/her job for him (and failing), do you listen?

In this situation, I wouldn't heal the warlock, regardless of the tank's instructions. I may even vote kick.

My decision to not heal a party member is based on MY opinion of their performance. I've had bad tanks (no rend, thunderclap, can't hold aggro) tell me not to heal DPS because they keep pulling. Do I listen? Of course not. I blow cooldowns to keep the rogue tank up if I have to.

The warlock in question was disrupting the dungeon, likely deliberately. You would have been well within your rights to save your mana or vote kick him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]