Paladin Seals

90 Night Elf Druid
Alright, so i'm leveling a holy paladin. I'm a bit confused on how seals work. I've been using Seal of Insight to heal & even for my questing in holy spec. However, I'm a bit confused when it says the word 'melee' attack have a change of doing (Enter thing they do here). So does this mean I have to run up and start smacking things with my weapon in order to get the melee benefit? Or does my judgment spell count as a melee attack..even if it's technically a ranged attack?
Edited by Pokój on 1/14/2013 8:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
You have to melee, auto attack, Crusader strike if you want to get the mana benefit.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Judgment does count as a melee attack, but it costs more mana than you'd get back from Insight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
its not uncommon to see holy paladins melee swinging at things with their weapon for mana return during luls in long fights.

judgment is a weird ability, it seems to be in it's own little category, its usable while silenced like a melee ability, and while disarmed like a spell. it does damage at range like a hunter shot, but does non physical damage like a spell.
Edited by Vladja on 1/14/2013 11:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Ehh, it's not really that weird. It just combines several categories together.

It's a long-range non-weapon unavoidable melee attack that deals Holy damage.

Okay, maybe it is a little weird. :(
Edited by Keten on 1/14/2013 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The main reason holy uses insight is for its other benefits toward extra heal percentage and haste to cast time. The melee mana return is situational, it can be decent for some fights where you have the ability to sit in melee range. The melee healing is more of a benefit for ret and prot specs when they need to use a more defensive seal (or always for prot since censure is crap right now).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/14/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Keten
Judgment does count as a melee attack, but it costs more mana than you'd get back from Insight.

But it does proc Seal of Insight? As a ret, as far as I can tell it doesnt. It actually only procs Seal of Truth.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
01/14/2013 08:21 PMPosted by Syros
But it does proc Seal of Insight? As a ret, as far as I can tell it doesnt. It actually only procs Seal of Truth.

Well, I just tried it for a few minutes and didn't get any procs, so either it doesn't or that was poor luck. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
01/14/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Keten

Well, I just tried it for a few minutes and didn't get any procs, so either it doesn't or that was poor luck. >.>

Yeah, its only for SoT. I dont know why though. I makes sense Seal of Justice not proc'ing (Burden of Guilt talent) and even Seal of Righteous (AoE 'melee attack' after all), but Seal of Insight? Holy' fault maybe? Although the 4% mana gain isnt really gonna pay off the mana cost of the spell in the first place..
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I just spent 20 minutes and I received 2 mana procs... Swinging Crusader Strike ever 4.28 seconds and using Judgement every 5.71 seconds. Mana Regeneration during a Raid is now left up to Druids tossing out Innervates, Shamans tossing out Mana Totems or our Divine Plea we get to use every 120 seconds. There needs to be a drastic change to Paladins Mana Regeneration Seal of Insight should be renamed Seal of Blindness cuz you will go blind looking for that proc that never comes.

Supposedly come 5.2 Patch things will change... Well I believe in Christmas but believing in the Blizzard Rumor Mill well... We'll see.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/09/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Captamerica
Supposedly come 5.2 Patch things will change... Well I believe in Christmas but believing in the Blizzard Rumor Mill well... We'll see.

Seal of Insight isn't the Seal being changed in 5.2. That's Righteousness and Justice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Getting mana from auto attacking is bugged when u use eternal flame sadly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
All true. I don't tend to use any melee "spell"/attacks like crusader strike or judgement simply because the mana return won't even pay off using it in the first place. Not to mention if you crusader strike 20 times you might get it to proc 5, MAYBE. You're basically always losing mana that way anyway. I just auto-attack when I can, if I can, and if I need to.

If I know a fight may drain my mana then I'll sit and melee at the beginning to keep my mana up and probably use divine plea early (only early enough so that I get ALL the mana from DP and none goes to waste). That way I might be able to use divine plea later in the fight if it's long.

Otherwise just auto-attack. And yes if you have what, three eternal flames on 3 different people our auto-attack doesn't even work or something. :/ meh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]