Countdown queues are the problem

(Locked)

90 Goblin Hunter
Also I'm 29 not 17

That's fine - it was just a toss out of my age - 50. A reference, to make a point.

You may lack the APM and reflexes of someone younger and u may still be skilled, but to say that you are just as skilled as someone who can react quicker than you can has more to do with your ego than anything else.

It's not my ego so much as just saying that I don't think that you are inherently better for a circumstantial fact that is out of my control.

Your reflexes are granted to you by virtue of a younger age. Trust me, they'll get slower. You are not using intelligence, knowledge, or more experience to be faster. It's just something you have, so to claim credit on that basis, imo, is the real ego.

Plenty of people my age, younger and older are both slower and faster than me...your argument has no bearing. No one is claiming credit of skill based on age. You're defaulting to age because age affects reaction time. By your definition a paraplegic can potentially have the same skill level of someone such as yourself. His ability to react is hindered to no fault of his own.

As extreme an example as it is, it's a perfect example because your logic makes absolutely no sense. I thought my sports analogy was enough, but it seems you can't put your ego aside for a moment and admit that regardless of your age, there are people who excel at certain things than others...

Another analogy, typing and WPM...you wouldn't hire a 77 yr old male such as my father who types at about 10 wpm to be a secretary or anything that involves multitasking. His age, which is out of his control, may directly affect his abilities and in fact does. But by your definition, he's just as capable and skilled as a 30 yr old female who types 100 wpm. Again your argument makes absolutely no sense.

edit: we are sooooooo off topic so just to get back into it...

If you don't like getting stomped by premades, just play with friends. Problem solved :)

Or blizzard could just make oqueue baseline, hire Tiny to code it, and BAM problem solved.
Edited by Dungflinger on 1/19/2013 1:06 PM PST
90 Goblin Hunter
01/19/2013 01:12 PMPosted by Piñata
By your definition a paraplegic can potentially have the same skill level of someone such as yourself. His ability to react is hindered to no fault of his own.

A paraplegic certainly can, yes if his legs are what is wrong with him. A quadriplegic could not.

As extreme an example as it is, it's a perfect example because your logic makes absolutely no sense. I thought my sports analogy was enough, but it seems you can't put your ego aside for a moment and admit that regardless of your age, there are people who excel at certain things than others...

My ego aside,

Err, oops, I'm not allowed to do that, per your statement. Oh well. At any rate, yes, people's reflexes and inherent abilities are often the key to victory, such as in sprinting at the Olympics.

Wow is, theoretically, however, an intellectual, strategic game. To a point, that is true, but to a point it is not. What I am trying to say is that I don't credit you with skill for something that you didn't have to work for. You will be inherently better, but there is no effort or skill involved.

I can appreciate the ability, but when it masquerades as skill, trained through effort, when that is not the case, I'm gonna call bs.

I don't know what makes you think I have this great ego. I'm not playing tournaments, never claimed to have played them, and never said I was the best. I'm fairly good, when compared against a par player, but great enough for ego? Nah. I don't think you are, either, even with untrained advantages.

I never said you had a massive ego. I was referring to your ego as if I was insulting it in some way, which I am not.

And considering the fact that you're using sports analogies and saying some people are inherently better without any effort just means that you and I have a very different definition of what skill is.

All competitive sports from chess to gaming to basketball, football, soccer and even running and more involve strategy in addition to natural ability. Some have to work harder to improve specific aspects of their abilities whether it's mental, physical, or more specific abilities such as reaction time, cognitive understanding of strategies and memorization of an opponent's weakness or strength. So saying wow is different in that it involves more strategy and thinking is like saying football is purely physical, which is ignorant. Otherwise what would be the point of coaches, memorizing plays from a playbook, etc.

Since you still don't consider skill an all inclusive collection of all that I've stated it's fairly safe to say that again, you and I have a very different definition of skill.

I consider a player to be more skillful if they're able to beat me because they can react quickly to my attacks (such as stampede), or in arena when I scatter shot a healer and the healers says "I'm getting scatter trapped," so the dps runs over to eat the trap or a warrior intervenes to eat the trap...that's all part of skill.

If your'e saying that reaction and reflexes aren't a contributing factor to skill, then your'e just wrong.

So I'll just settle on agreeing to disagree.
90 Goblin Hunter
If your'e saying that reaction and reflexes aren't a contributing factor to skill, then your'e just wrong.

So I'll just settle on agreeing to disagree.

That sounds fine. I'm saying that I have a different level of respect for various types of skill.

If you had to work hard to train it, I respect it more than if it was just handed to you by genetics or circumstance. Yes, the winner has more skill than the loser, but when I look over the why, if you were predetermined to be the loser, I'm going to be much less impressed with the winner.

Fair enough?

Who doesn't work hard to improve their reaction time? You know how many keybinds I have on my hunter? I don't click anything. You know how long it took me to train my fingers to reach and cover half the keyboard utilizing combinations of alt, shift and ctrl? Years and years of gaming.

But because of my practice and constant usage of it, its second nature now. It's not like some people are born with some innate ability to type fast or be good at sports or music.

I can play guitar pretty well, but I know I can't be as good as so many others because my brain just isn't wired that way. It doesn't mean they're any less skilled at all. It took them years of practice of course, but with music, as with math, sports, gaming, etc. some people just take to it more naturally...as with cullinary arts. I used to be a sous chef myself. I taught myself how to cook when I was 6, starting with eggs and for many others they're horrible at cooking, they couldn't cook an egg properly to save their life.

Does that make me less skilled cause I'm naturally "gifted" to cook and game better than some others? No of course not. No one is handed skill. Everyone works to improve it. Some people are naturally gifted than others, but without practice and consistent usage of that ability/skill/gift it would whither away.

Lastly, just because a team wins, it does not necessarily mean they're more "skilled" than the losers. It could have been a fluke, luck, a couple mistakes made by the losing team, etc. We're just talking in generalities here. In arena settings, it could've been the comp that is just geared to beat the other one, and the losers just haven't figured a way to beat that comp yet, but generally speaking they could be more skilled and win every other match.

If we are talking about what impresses you, which originally we were not, then we're talking about opinions vs. arguing about the definition of skill and what contributes to skill.
90 Undead Mage
01/19/2013 12:11 PMPosted by Esclamayshun
That's the problem with the way you handle those around you on the forums, you constantly lump everyone into said category, and use that as your basis for premading. Wouldn't you find it ridiculous if that's how you were treated? Your words just ignored and you tagged with "1500 scrub" instead?
The three most vocal players against premades in this forum are you, Clythia and Scintillara. I have never once accused any of you of being bad & it doesn't have to do with your ratings. It is because even though I disagree with each of you almost all the time I can tell by your comments that you "get it". The players I call bad say stupid stuff like "healers are OP because they can tank 5 people". That is of course pure nonsense unless those 5 people are awful, which means the person making that claim is also awful.

I don't call people bad to feel better about myself or that I'm some bitter person in RL (whcih I have been accused of). I call people bad because I can tell by what they say they are bad. The fact that they never broke 1500 only supports my believe that they are bad (it isn't the main reason I think that way about them).
Edited by Kiaransali on 1/19/2013 2:36 PM PST
90 Orc Warrior
01/19/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Kiaransali
That's the problem with the way you handle those around you on the forums, you constantly lump everyone into said category, and use that as your basis for premading. Wouldn't you find it ridiculous if that's how you were treated? Your words just ignored and you tagged with "1500 scrub" instead?
The three most vocal players against premades in this forum are you, Clythia and Scintillara. I have never once accused any of you of being bad & it doesn't have to do with your ratings. It is because even though I disagree with each of you almost all the time I can tell by your comments that you "get it". The players I call bad say stupid stuff like "healers are OP because they can tank 5 people". That is of course pure nonsense unless those 5 people are awful, which means the person making that claim is also awful.

I don't call people bad to feel better about myself or that I'm some bitter person in RL (whcih I have been accused of). I call people bad because I can tell by what they say they are bad. The fact that they never broke 1500 only supports my believe that they are bad (it isn't the main reason I think that way about them).

OH YA??? U BAD!!!!
90 Orc Warrior
01/19/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Tooskosa
OH YA??? U BAD!!!!

reported

OOOOOOOOH LONG JOHNSON
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH LONG JOHNSON
90 Night Elf Rogue
01/19/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Tooskosa
reported

Reported for hitting 90 after so long. Take that baddie.
60 Human Death Knight
01/19/2013 10:44 AMPosted by Piñata
What's so wrong with giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, and allowing them to be individuals, without stereotyping them?

Or the more appropriate question - what so wrong with attempting to discredit someone BASED on one.

Answer: everything.

He brings up the <1500 rating stereotype yet again, and the reason I pointed out the hypocrisy in his veiled argument there was because every single poster he was spewing at had at one time or another broken...

And still, after being so blatantly idiotic and transparent, he continues to use the broad brush to slop around all his bitterness and hate. Finding articles to support your stereotype online in NO WAY guarantees that everyone you spew at FITS that sterotype. People are individuals. Kiaransali is being hateful at PEOPLE.

That's all, same as always. I know this wasnt "at" you pinata, your post was very well put tho. Responding to his is clearly wasted time anyway. He's too wrapped up in MAKING EXCUSES for all his bitterness and hate.

Ironic, no?
60 Human Death Knight
01/19/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Piñata
I can even buy the xpac and play at max again, but I'm still not overly impressed with ratings.

if you're just only playing the 85-89 XPoff i'm pretty sure you're having a better time anyway. I rather enjoy it.
91 Orc Hunter
It certainly does not look like Blizz cares how you get your gear or rating or what you do in a regular bg.

I see people selling 2200-2400 rating in trade all day long on my server, and when you armory these people they have 2800-2900 RBG rating in quest greens and blues and are undefeated in RBGs. If you are going to allow win trading so a level 90 in greens who could not beat my level 84 in a duel can get T2, why not just allow everyone to grind up to the gear. The better players will still win with the gear being equal, and they will certainly get the gear much quicker than the casual.

As for the addons that let you do premades, Blizz should embrace it and allow it or ban it completely.

I do not mind going into a bg 5 man v 5 man with each team having 10 randoms, but I do mind going in 5 + 10 randoms v 15 man premade. if blizz would allow full 15 man premades to go into a regular bg, I would do it. Since they not, I think any addon that allows you to do so is an exploit.
60 Human Death Knight
01/19/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Korahunter
I think any addon that allows you to do so is an exploit.

To clarify here, Blizz said the same exact thing.

However, oQueue isnt doing that anymore, the players are doing it themselves. Oqueue simply helps them assemble. That does seem to be the largest misnomer attributed to it currently. But correct me if I'm wrong.
90 Orc Warrior
01/19/2013 03:39 PMPosted by Warglaive
I think any addon that allows you to do so is an exploit.

To clarify here, Blizz said the same exact thing.

However, oQueue isnt doing that anymore, the players are doing it themselves. Oqueue simply helps them assemble. That does seem to be the largest misnomer attributed to it currently. But correct me if I'm wrong.

100% correct.
60 Human Death Knight
Ok, good. Cuz the OP pretty much covered that i thought... but I'm not always completely in the loop.
01/14/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Squeak
OQueue is not the problem
90 Undead Mage
Or the more appropriate question - what so wrong with attempting to discredit someone BASED on one.

Answer: everything.

He brings up the <1500 rating stereotype yet again, and the reason I pointed out the hypocrisy in his veiled argument there was because every single poster he was spewing at had at one time or another broken...

Warglaive it is painfully obvious that you don't read what I write, you just come off half-cocked and make nonsensical comments that don't come close to refuting what I say. I have explained myself and my comments quite clearly. You respond with empty rhetoric and baseless allegations (as usual). If you want to respond to what I wrote then fine, but if you want to resort to empty rhetoric and taking what I say completely out of context I am not interested.

01/19/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Warglaive
And still, after being so blatantly idiotic and transparent, he continues to use the broad brush to slop around all his bitterness and hate. Finding articles to support your stereotype online in NO WAY guarantees that everyone you spew at FITS that sterotype. People are individuals. Kiaransali is being hateful at PEOPLE.
Your problem (based on your many rants) is that you could care less about the fact that what I am saying is in most cases true. Instead you point out the outliers and falsely accuse me of "manufacturing facts" or "being bitter or angry". I strongly suspect that when I point out that most of the whiners never broke 1500 and that they are part of the problem I am talking about you & you take offense because the truth hurts. Like I said you remind me a lot of a poster names Exeon... he raged for months & embarrassed himself numerous times simply because I told him he needed to fix his toon (which he completely screwed up). I see through what you are doing and I am not buying it for one second. I suggest that you just stop now before you get as bad as he was... it was quite pathetic.

01/19/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Korahunter
I see people selling 2200-2400 rating in trade all day long on my server, and when you armory these people they have 2800-2900 RBG rating in quest greens and blues and are undefeated in RBGs
I'm throwing the BS flag at this comment. I know win trading occurs but I seriously doubt players in quest greens are getting those ratings.
90 Undead Warlock
01/19/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Kiaransali
I'm throwing the BS flag at this comment. I know win trading occurs but I seriously doubt players in quest greens are getting those ratings.

Behold http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Cassirstina/simple
90 Undead Mage
Well I guess I lose my timeout with that BS flag, but I still think that poster was exaggerating.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]