80 Tauren Druid
In any competitive system, all the winners are standing on a huge pyramid of losing competitors. I'd show some damn charity if I were some of you - if you don't they're not going to be there one day and you won't have anyone to play WoW with.

Better gear for a mediocre competitor isn't going to guarantee any wins. If anything, evening out the gear gives all you L337 Arenatards a chance to prove that skill > gear, all other things being equal, which half of you people have been claiming all along.

You'd probably have a real gripe if Blizzard was taking something away from you, but they're not, so really, it looks like you're complaining about someone else getting something. Stop whining, man up and go prove your worth your rating based on skill.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
In any competitive system, all the winners are standing on a huge pyramid of losing competitors. I'd show some damn charity if I were some of you - if you don't they're not going to be there one day and you won't have anyone to play WoW with.

Better gear for a mediocre competitor isn't going to guarantee any wins. If anything, evening out the gear gives all you L337 Arenatards a chance to prove that skill > gear, all other things being equal, which half of you people have been claiming all along.

You'd probably have a real gripe if Blizzard was taking something away from you, but they're not, so really, it looks like you're complaining about someone else getting something. Stop whining, man up and go prove your worth your rating based on skill.

I don't know if you have played much arena lately or maybe stumpled upon a KFC or something this season. That seemed alot more skill than gear...

The gear should remain cosmetic and not the weapon. None of the posters even had T2 and your saying they do. They simply want something to work towards.

There's not anyone to play with for me semi-competitvely at all do you see my arena teams? Can't even try to competitively get 2.2k; so Gladiator is impossible on this server unless you bring two friends.
Edited by Graycen on 1/19/2013 5:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

You have spent quite a bit of time making gold and leveling alts. What if in 5.3 Blizzard decided that alts could start off at level 90 and there was no need to level them. What would you have to say about that? I'd imagine you wouldn't be too happy.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid

You have spent quite a bit of time making gold and leveling alts. What if in 5.3 Blizzard decided that alts could start off at level 90 and there was no need to level them. What would you have to say about that? I'd imagine you wouldn't be too happy.

I would bend over and kiss the hairy beanbag of whatever Blizzard exec got that greenlighted.

I bloody well hate repeating content, which is why 1) this guy is pretty much staying where he is and 2) I never fill all the slots with the highest level of raid gear (I will use crafted armor.

I could tolerate starting all alts (after the main) at the bottom level of an expansion. But right now, it's nearly impossible to bring myself to level any more alts.

So, yeah. Bring it. I will alpha, beta, delta and gamma test that. I will throw hookers and beer at the exec (or Chippendale dancers or whatever) and if I don't have the money, I will brew my own beer, raise a child to be a hooker and hand her over to that exec with my blessings on whatever depraved, sick thing he wants to get up to.

OK, just kidding on that last part. But you get the idea, right?

Now, that said, I have no problem skinning everything that moves, which just goes to show you that I'm probably not right in the head.

---

I have played exactly one (1) arena match ever, back during TBC, on a hunter. It sucked and I lost (but the two aren't connected - I hated it before I played it). My preference is for unrated BGs because I cannot bring myself to take the PvP in this game with any level of seriousness.

If there was an award for worst PvPer ever, I would accept that award. Unfortunately, apparently the lowest PvP score is zero. I need negative numbers that mathematicians only dream of inventing.

However, I understand the concept quite well, on both a mechanical and conceptual level.

---

TLDR: I'm a hyperbolical hipster hater.
Edited by Durh on 1/19/2013 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
01/19/2013 06:18 PMPosted by Aorris

This kinda begs the question:

Do you arena so that you can have better gear than other people?

Or do you do it to have fun while seeing where you stand compared to your peers?

Because the current system creates an artificial gap between players who are 2200 and those who are below that threshold, making it harder for people starting out to actually obtain that gear.

It's a small advantage, but it's still an advantage. /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
01/19/2013 06:43 PMPosted by Durh
TLDR: I'm a hyperbolical hipster hater.

Does this mean you are a hyperbolic hipster who hates, or that you hyperbolically hate hipsters?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
01/19/2013 11:41 AMPosted by Graycen
You could easily compare it to blizzard handing out heroic iL PvE gear after earning 13,000 or so valor.

I disagree. That's comparing a race to a boxing match. Apples and oranges. The competitiveness in PvE ends when one guild reaches the end first, and not the end of the tier. The competitiveness in PvP doesn't end until the season ends. Which means any gear gained at certain thresholds, like 2200, is still usable in said competition. Whereas gear gained after a PvE guild kills the last boss in a tier is only beneficial to farming.

Also, new raid tiers are tuned with previous-tier gear in mind. Any heroic gear gained last tier will be a marginal benefit. Starting a new PvP season with full t2 is a much bigger advantage.

Then again, I wouldn't care either way. People getting heroic gear in my raid would only benefit me.
Edited by Shuihuotu on 1/19/2013 8:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
01/19/2013 06:55 PMPosted by Machival

This kinda begs the question:

Do you arena so that you can have better gear than other people?

Or do you do it to have fun while seeing where you stand compared to your peers?

Because the current system creates an artificial gap between players who are 2200 and those who are below that threshold, making it harder for people starting out to actually obtain that gear.

It's a small advantage, but it's still an advantage. /shrug

I don't have a T2 weapon, so no, I don't have any advantage. I've actually lost large amounts of games this season due to windtraders with T2 weapons outgearing my team by a large margin, yet I would still like to see T2s in the game.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
01/19/2013 10:31 PMPosted by Aorris
I don't have a T2 weapon, so no, I don't have any advantage. I've actually lost large amounts of games this season due to windtraders with T2 weapons outgearing my team by a large margin, yet I would still like to see T2s in the game.

I wasn't saying that you DO have better gear, I was simply asking what your motivations were when playing in the Arena.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I wasn't trying to call you out on yours. I was just curious as to why you felt that because the playing field was being leveled for all players, that is somehow unfair for people who have been playing for longer.

PS) They aren't removing T2 weapons from the game. Just the ratings requirement. Or am I mistaken about that?
Edited by Machival on 1/20/2013 7:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter

They aren't removing T2 weapons from the game. Just the ratings requirement. Or am I mistaken about that?

Just the ratings, as far as I can tell.
Edited by Raensong on 1/20/2013 11:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/19/2013 02:20 PMPosted by Oolaki
Bottom line, I am following my theory while back in college...Quanity greater than Quality. Then I met my wife...

How's supper treating you there, Bob? ;)

Was going to respond with a witty reply last night....then got a shots fired call. Did not get off duty till earily this morning. Only now just completeing the massive report to document the incident.

Back to the witty comment, Wife did a great job last night with grilled pork chops...Jasmine rice and the cue de gras, TURKEY gravey on the rice. Now thats like wearing a green pair of pants with an orange shirt...its just does not go together.

Though to be honest, I ate her food without complaint and actually enjoyed it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I agree with most of the changes, but they should definately still give 2200 players some kind of cosmetic armor. But yeah everyone wintrades RBG's anyway, *cough* all of Ravenholdt except Gorar and Rondo *cough*. You know who you are.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Was going to respond with a witty reply last night....then got a shots fired call.

Wow... maybe we really don't need more hunter weapons...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

Was going to respond with a witty reply last night....then got a shots fired call.

Wow... maybe we really don't need more hunter weapons...

Its not the hunter's weapons thats the issue, its the drunk dumbass hunter that is firing in random areas and even at a near by neighbor. I believe all law abiding citizens should have Hunter weapons. Just remember, everything can be classified as hunters loot.

Then, Ol Bobcat is tased by his beat partner when he shoots the dumbass hunter with a Taser. Though I will say that it was funny as hell after the fact. The suspect in this incident will be nominated for Huntard of the Year.

I also hear he was drunk on Dwarven Stale ale...which is probably the real reason he was acting like a Huntard. Where is Hall"i"dor when you need to blame some a dwarf for all the ills of the world.
Edited by Bobcat on 1/20/2013 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
01/20/2013 07:31 AMPosted by Machival

I wasn't saying that you DO have better gear, I was simply asking what your motivations were when playing in the Arena.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and I wasn't trying to call you out on yours. I was just curious as to why you felt that because the playing field was being leveled for all players, that is somehow unfair for people who have been playing for longer.

PS) They aren't removing T2 weapons from the game. Just the ratings requirement. Or am I mistaken about that?

Well aside from this game being an MMO, which everyone was aware of when they started playing, RBGs will now be the go-to for many people and arena populations could very well drop further. Last time I read the notes it looks like the T2 weapon is out of the picture, which is fine because people really shouldn't be a getting an item they didn't earn.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
01/20/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Bobcat
Then, Ol Bobcat is tased by his beat partner when he shoots the dumbass hunter with a Taser. Though I will say that it was funny as hell after the fact. The suspect in this incident will be nominated for Huntard of the Year.

Oh lawd. That somehow reminds me of the time I was visiting a friend in Loganville who was raising Percherons at the time. I managed to back into the electric fence, which unfortunately given the size of the horses, was head-level on me.

Well, Bob... no one can accuse you of having a dull life. >.<
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
01/20/2013 11:04 PMPosted by Aorris
Well aside from this game being an MMO, which everyone was aware of when they started playing, RBGs will now be the go-to for many people and arena populations could very well drop further. Last time I read the notes it looks like the T2 weapon is out of the picture, which is fine because people really shouldn't be a getting an item they didn't earn.

I'm totally okay with arenas fading into some sort of obscurity. I've always hated the system, and what it's done to balance for the game (see: Avatar change, which deprived Prot of any useful talents for survival at level 90).

Besides, RBGs are fun. At least until you run into the wall of legendaries. But still was fun.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
01/21/2013 06:40 AMPosted by Lukar
I'm totally okay with arenas fading into some sort of obscurity. I've always hated the system, and what it's done to balance for the game
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
*THIS MIGHT BE RENDERED INCORRECT AT ANY MOMEMENT BY THE AMOUNT OF CHANGES BLIZZARD KEEP MAKING TO THE INFORMATION*

Well now there are 4 tiers of PvP gear. This has been confirmed by a blue post on a player made topic on the EU forum. Because Blizzard absolutely can not announce anything in a way that the information might get out to people.

Tier 1 - Craftable Dreadful gear

Tier 2 - Honor Malevolent gear

Tier 3 - Conquest Tyrannical gear

Tier 4 - Conquest Elite Tyrannical gear which can be obtained after 27,000 conquest points.

There will be a stat difference between Tyrannical and Elite Tyrannical. The change was to make it easier to balance the PvP tiers with PvE tiers so that PvP gear would not be too good in PvE. I believe there are also plans for another ilvl reduction on the current PvP gear. So, when the dust settles, it looks like Elite gear won't be any more powerful than normal Tyrannical would have been pre-ilvl nerfs. Basically, it's more grinding gear for PvP players so that PvP gear will remain behind PvE gear for PvE. That being said, you can buy gear for honor after the 27,000.

Here is how the season will look for a fresh, 0 gear alt.

1. Buy crafted dreadful.
2. Get kicked around in random bgs for Malevolent
3. Arena for Tyrannical
4. Go kick around the poor alts trying to get their malevolent in order to get your elite malevolent in random bgs.

P.S. I'm totally okay with raiding fading into some sort of obscurity. I've always hated the system, and what it's done to balance for the game.
Reply Quote
27 Pandaren Warrior
So basically, it's not really all that different from the current system, except there's no artificial wall of players wielding T2 weapons keeping you from being able to actually buy T2 weapons yourself.

Just for the record, there are ALREADY 4 tiers of PvP gear in the game currently (crafted, honor, conquest T1, conquest T2), so that's not a change at all.

Now instead of getting kicked around for eternity trying to get rating for malevolent, you will actually be able to get that after enough time, guaranteed.

Gotcha.

I will prolly still Arena for mine, because I just enjoy that a bit more than RBGs. /shrug
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]