8 year old gets advice about game industry

(Locked)

90 Troll Shaman
01/11/2013 02:10 AMPosted by Véritas
seems way to early to try and get this happen maybe 13+ or something but comon at 8 what really can he do no one else might not want to say it but everyone is thinking it.. like really?

It's truly never too early to discuss career possibilities, and how to get there. I still remember (when I was 8), my school teacher had a Commodore 64, requiring a 5 inch floppy to even use. I know my memory was also far better then that it is now. That Commodore 64 wasn't my first time around computers -- I've been around them since about 3, used them since about 5. The end result was, even teachers and other classmates would come to me (from grade 5 onward) on issues related to their computers.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Just an update. My son is experimenting with khan academy, and gamesalad. He's changing sets of numbers to find out what it does to the images. Now my daughter is getting into the basics of design on khan academy under computer science.

Last night before bedtime he told me he wanted to make videos while he learns.

But I wonder what career goals they will have next month. For those interested I will post updates on twitter about his and her progress.
Edited by Aayia on 1/12/2013 4:32 PM PST
90 Gnome Rogue
You guys honestly think an 8 year old knows what he wants to do for a career when he reaches adulthood? He's probably already forgotten the conversation he had with his mother regarding this.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I know he will change his mind a million times about careers. My job as a parent is to educate him on how to achieve his goals. Next week if he chooses to join the military when he grows up, guess what. I will take him to the VFW hall, and recruiting offices to let him know what it is like. When he grows up at least he will be well rounded and able to make educated decisions.

As far as forgetting the conversation... he is still talking about it, planning, and practicing.
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/11/2013 02:33 PMPosted by Fekth
You guys honestly think an 8 year old knows what he wants to do for a career when he reaches adulthood? He's probably already forgotten the conversation he had with his mother regarding this.

I decided when I was 8 that I wanted to design alternative communities. I was told endlessly that I wasn't "suited" for university, that no one wanted any of "those hippy communes", that it was not the appropriate field for girls, and on and on and on. I ended up working for 20 years in jobs I either hated, or bored me to tears.

I went back to university 3 years ago. Guess what? I'm in 4th year of a Planning (Urban and Rural Design) Degree. I guess I did know at 8, after all!

8 year olds are sometimes better at knowing what they have a passion for because they've not had any dreams crushed yet. If that child changes his mind, that's fine :) But you'd be surprised...

PS: my 12 year old decided at age 3 that he wanted to "make games." He now alters mods for Minecraft, and does 3D design on the Unreal Development Kit. If someone really wants something, they will find a way. He also kicks my butt on videogames. Alas.
Edited by Eruanna on 1/11/2013 3:38 PM PST
90 Undead Mage
I wonder if it would be worth one of the developer blogs, mentioning the different positions inside a game company like blizzard, and how people would go about getting there
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 03:17 PMPosted by Eruanna

I decided when I was 8 that I wanted to design alternative communities. I was told endlessly that I wasn't "suited" for university, that no one wanted any of "those hippy communes", that it was not the appropriate field for girls, and on and on and on. I ended up working for 20 years in jobs I either hated, or bored me to tears.

I went back to university 3 years ago. Guess what? I'm in 4th year of a Planning (Urban and Rural Design) Degree. I guess I did know at 8, after all!
I started college way late, but I am 2 months away from graduating with my Bachelor's in Business Management.

8 year olds are sometimes better at knowing what they have a passion for because they've not had any dreams crushed yet. If that child changes his mind, that's fine :) But you'd be surprised...

I changed my mind so many times, its not funny. Of course, my parents didn't push me or teach me anything other than religion and military topics. I promised myself I would be different from my parents and teach my children everything they need to know.

PS: my 12 year old decided at age 3 that he wanted to "make games." He now alters mods for Minecraft, and does 3D design on the Unreal Development Kit. If someone really wants something, they will find a way. He also kicks my butt on videogames. Alas.

That is awesome! Children learn so much more today than my generation learned. The important thing, no matter the age, gender, goals can be achieved.
80 Gnome Death Knight
Really nice post by GC. I'd like to add a few observations for the new players wanting to get into the industry.

1. This is a tough industry to work in. It's unlikely you'll end up working for a big company like blizzard at the start.

2. You'll get laid off at least once. Maybe more. The company you work for will likely fail at least once. Stick with it.

3. Keep your portfolio current. Be able to deliver on the work you're expected to do. Your co-workers don't want or need to carry you. They're just as busy.

4. Milestones aren't fair or sensible or even reasonable. The guy making the milestones isn't responsible for getting them done. If you have concerns state them early on.

5. The smaller the company the more unreasonable the work hours can be. (This has improved some in the past decade). I know people that have worked 90+ days straight without a break to meet a milestone. It's not worth it.

6. Try to learn as much as you can about everyone's job that you are likely to interact with. If you understand where the artist, programmer, designer, engineer are coming from you can be much more efficient. Be able to communicate clearly. If the game designer wants you to make a change that will take a month to do and affect half the systems. You need to be able to clearly explain why his idea will cost N number of man hours to do. Just saying his idea sucks isn't good enough.

7. Get good at building tools. Write your own. Companies love tools, they save time, money, and they like engineers that can write good tools. Keep your tools simple!

8. Stay out of inter-company politics and drama.

9. Have fun. If you're not enjoying yourself its time to move on. Loving your job is worth 10x what they are paying you.

10. Join your companies hockey team. :P
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks for the advice. I am so glad I posted here. Ghostcrawler did an awesome and unexpected job here. Anybody getting into the gaming industry should read Ghostcrawler's response.
90 Draenei Shaman
You also might want to check at the school to see if there are any classes for game or web designing. Theres also colleges that specialize in the field of gaming, designing gameplay maing all tha fun stuff.
90 Pandaren Monk
Props to the Men in Blue for such a response. I have no interest in this field but yet what it takes and the fact that Blizz took the time to reply. Impressive indeed.
I know this is snarky but...I'm in shock a GC related post I actually like and applaud.

That was a cool move :) WTG
10 Gnome Warlock
I wanted to be a lot of things when I was around that age, didn't get to be any of those, had to settle with something else D: Keep encouraging and supporting him if he still wants to do that when he's older.
80 Tauren Shaman
01/08/2013 02:25 PMPosted by Aaleo
I'm 27 and figuring out what I really want to do now, so I wish I knew what I wanted to do at that age. That is cool to see that he wants to do something and I suggest he keeps pushing toward that dream as he grows up. Hes got some years ahead of him to do that, before he can start filling out those job apps! Keep up the research and networking works!! :D

In our culture the opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
The only people who succeeds are the people who are progressively realizing a worthy ideal.
A success is anyone who is doing deliberately a predetermine job because that is what they decided to do deliberately, merely 5% of the population do that. The rest... just follow the guy infront of 'em.

Doesn't matter how old you are; or what you could of, should of, or would have done *then* if only you knew... It only matters what you do *now*, in every moment. Are you moving closer to your 'worthy ideal', or are you moving closer to simply getting in line and following that one guy infront of you whose only concern is what he could have, should have, or would have done *then* if only you knew...

- Spartacat

Life is about discovery, realization, self-realization the human brain doesn't come equipped with software, we are interacting dynamically with our own specie, foreign species, the natural environment and the entire universe. We come into this world with only a six senses (five from the start) and an accute awareness that we better learn *now* otherwise there will be no *later*.

(senses, sight, touch, taste, smell, hearing, and sense of self - usually starts around the "why?" or "no!" stages)
Edited by Starbasecat on 1/12/2013 5:49 AM PST
80 Tauren Shaman
So no, he doesn't have years ahead of him. That eight year old, only has *now*.

There is no spoon.
g about some of the traits that Blizzard looks for in game designers; other companies may pl;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;ace value
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]