8 year old gets advice about game industry

(Locked)

90 Orc Shaman
Not to derail from the development end of things but I had a question about the CM job opportunities that I was hoping someone *coughZarhym* could shed some light on and I suppose this is the most relevant place.

There have been a few new listings lately and I was curious what "prior experience" entailed for job positions at Blizzard. It looks like a lot of the development positions require previous work on multiple games (which is understandable) but the CM positions don't look like they have such a steep entry requirement - in fact they're left pretty open and vague.

I'm assuming that's intentional but I was curious if there were more details on what sort of previous experience would be best to fill that role - aside from having those exact responsibilities at a previous job since jobs like that are rare to find.

Fortunately I'm lucky enough to live in up in Norcal and I have 2 years experience with a Game Master position with a F2P company. The position I held as GM seems vastly different from a GM position at Blizzard though since I held most of the responsibilities listed for a Blizzard Community Rep (along with a handful of other jobs).

That said I'll still be submitting my resume as a hopeful candidate regardless of whether or not 2 years qualifies as "extensive" (and regardless of having to relocate all my stuff) but I'd also like to know what I can do to more accurately tailor my experience towards something more fitting for that role.
Edited by Ninetales on 1/13/2013 10:04 AM PST
100 Goblin Shaman
So no, he doesn't have years ahead of him. That eight year old, only has *now*.

There is no spoon.

I really enjoyed reading your two posts.

Just thought I'd let you know. :P
100 Goblin Shaman
01/12/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Bishyfurry
Doubt the 8 year old could even write a hello world in html.

People like you are worse than daft.

Ever heard of learning to do something before you do it?

Yeah, I'm sure if an 8 year old was taught, they'd be able to do it...how long it'd take would rely on the kid in-particular.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Learning as we go. I'm trying to learn so I can explain it to the kids.
90 Night Elf Priest
It's like the music industry, you have to know somebody. Then be a good designer or artist or be able to help fill in the above job list.

The most interesting take away from this blue post is the part called "Criticizing ideas without hurting feelings" and "Accepting feedback".

Explaining to a kid what these words mean might also be summed up as having good manners, although worded like this could make things more difficult to discern what feedback hurts feelings exactly. For instance, how can you word that you don't like a main idea while beating around the bush at fringe unwanted effects and not sound against the ideas originator? Another example of these juxtaposed ideas not working together is if the feedback is never critical because of the fear of hurt feelings.

I am bringing this up because it is like the stance blues have with player feedback, calling it too hurtful criticism to accept. This makes the flow of information only go one way, seemingly from the forums to the blues complete with inside arguments between players out in the open. What we lack because of this are the inside arguments between blues and devs/artists/others that would give us the players the insight into the development of this game we are so interested in.

The company seems run from the top down to the max. So if you want to work there and you're a player posting ideas on the forums right now, you already have a taste of what types of feedback and criticism get's accepted and what kind hurts feelings at bliz-hq.
90 Blood Elf Priest
"Remember how people have different perspectives?" "I like your idea sweety, but what do you think about adding this?"

Easy
99 Night Elf Hunter
Enjoyed reading this thread.
Good luck to your child Aayia.

A saying I always live by is never let anyone tell you; you can't do something!

Best of luck to him.
90 Night Elf Hunter
Interesting
87 Goblin Rogue
Tell him to try other companies .. im sure there are plenty of good games that would love to inject a fun animal into their game genre . I can see it now .. Call Of Duty 5 .. Kitten Commando! 8 year olds would eat that stuff up ! imagine all that new kiddie revenue !
90 Blood Elf Hunter
01/12/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Bishyfurry
Doubt the 8 year old could even write a hello world in html.

When I was 7, I wrote a computer program (in BASIC, with no GUI) that displayed my name using *'s about 6 lines high, then had the colors of the foreground, background, and border flash through a sequence of different colors (all 16!).

And kids today get exposure to computers and games (and far, far more advanced ones at that) than I did. And if I could write a program like that at 7, it wouldn't be difficult for a child who was interested in design and development to learn the basics of HTML and have at least a basic static site, especially in light of the tools we have available today.

Even Microsoft provides free of charge to all their WebMatrix software, which allows creation of some fairly complex websites, including using PHP.
90 Night Elf Monk
Such an amazing post! This is very uplifting.
92 Night Elf Druid
I might also add that i know guys who spend free time creating iPhone games. One friend makes $3,000 per month from apps. That can't be bad for a resume.
Wow, I wish you and your son luck I wish I knew what I wanted to do at the age of 8. Life would've been so much easier.
Good luck!
01/14/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Ooktahh
you are a very bad parent.

How's that bad parenting as far as I'm concerned if you figure out what you want to do at a young age the more succesful you would become in the future because you already have a small or mildly large experiance with doing that job/skill.
Edited by Teeth on 1/14/2013 1:37 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
I educate my children, hold them to a high standard, and raise them to be well informed citizens. My job is to take care of them, and teach them. Bad parenting for teaching my kids? lol
91 Blood Elf Mage
Well, wonder what the kid will be thinking when they are twelve.
90 Orc Shaman
01/14/2013 03:46 PMPosted by Aayia
I educate my children, hold them to a high standard, and raise them to be well informed citizens. My job is to take care of them, and teach them. Bad parenting for teaching my kids? lol

And that's good parenting. My parents knew from the get-go my dream was to work on games and they've always supported my artwork (and to a lesser extent my overwhelming enthusiasm for sitting in front of screens and monitors).

My mom even helped me write a letter to one of my favorite MTG artists as a kid - they were really cool about it too and did an art exchange with me. I couldn't have been more than 10 at the time. I wish I remember how the dragon I drew looked.

But it's inspiring to get feedback and information from those you look up to and it's even better when you've got your parent's help and support. Parenting - you're doin' it right.
90 Human Warlock
This is very good information, but for those of us not only challenged by gaining some entry/experience into the gaming industry, but also limited to geographical opportunities, what are we to do?

I may not have the 3-D rendering or programming skills, nor may I have great art talent in pen or tablet. However, I like to consider myself very creative and sociable, and I have genuine ideas that I feel would benefit "X game" should my voice be heard among the other several millions out there.

Sadly though, I'm stuck in out here in the boonies of South Carolina, waayyyy over here on the East Coast where there isn't much chance or opportunity for gaming experience outside of maybe Epic Games in NC.

As much as I'd love to go to Blizzard HQ, sit down with a developer or designer and have coffee (or a soda!) I can't afford to move over there on just a hope and dream of being recognized.

While many of the points above in Mr. Street's post are very helpful to the people lucky enough to have either some experience in gaming from a reputable company or living close by, I have to read his points and cry out at my computer screen knowing that the chances of me getting a gig at Blizzard is like a childhood dream coming true.

Much respect for the company, truly, for all of the people that make it possible; from the coders, designers, and developers, all the way to the support staff and family of those working behind the scenes.

I hope one year/day, I will be able to go to a BlizzCon and see everyone there because even from all the way over here in SC, I feel like if there was a place I would fit in and be perfectly happy and proud to be with, it would be Blizzard!

Until next time! :)

I live in SC as well and I am faced with the same problem. So I have resolved to move to cali once I get the chance. :D
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]