[Patch 5.2] The Future of Resto Druids

90 Tauren Druid
Hey guys, it's Bigmoran. Some of you may know me by my Vanguards 10 Minute Laugh video, others may know me as that Tichondrius druid with the goofy transmog (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Bigmoran/simple) and I'm quite sure many of you may not know me at all.

I have been playing druid since season 4 and have stuck to it ever since. Even through the dark days of season 11, when resto druids were a considerably weak healer, I enjoyed playing my class and spec. I even found myself playing underdog compositions in 3v3 - WLD in S9, RPD in S11, RLD in S11/S12.

Lately, however, I have begun to lose interest in resto druid and I slowly find myself playing less and less arena. I fear that resto druids will soon have the same status as they did in S11 and will ultimately wind up as a less desirable healer.

One of the primary reasons I have this superstition is because of the 5.1 change to Battle Fatigue combined with the popularity of Warriors in 3v3 arena.

It has become quite clear that there has been a shift from constant damage in arena to burst damage. Comps like Affliction Lock, Resto Shaman, Boomkin and Affliction Lock, Shadow Priest, Healer are very rare on current arena ladders. Burst damage comps such as Arms Warrior, BM Hunter, Healer and Arms Warrior, Feral Druid, Healer are currently very popular.

Countering burst damage as a resto druid has always been pretty difficult. I'm quite certain I am not alone in the opinion that Resto Druids lack a powerful burst heal. With the rise in popularity of high burst comps in 3v3 and with the nerf to PvP healing, I find resto druids as one of the least suitable healers for competitive 3v3 arena (especially if you're like me and run underdog comps).

I know some people will be inclined to mention that there are resto druids who are successful this season, namely Starship, Shouri, Sodah, Mayo. But I think the success of the few is no remedy to the hardships of the many.

Likewise, arena representation data above 2200 is complicated as many teams on Battlegroups other than Bloodlust are inactive.

I have done some testing on the PTR and have dipped my toes into 3v3 Arena. Overall I am a bit disappointed with some of the class changes for resto druids (and at the same time very optimistic about Rogues). Displacer Beast, while being one of our most powerful survival tools, is otherwise rendered useless without an instant prowl. Resto druids have historically been very susceptible to hard swaps (with most of our survivability coming from the ability to preemtively swap hots). Displacer Beast was a potent boost to our survivability. I would have rather seen an increase on the cooldown instead of a change of its effect.

Cyclone DR is also a change I hope does not make it to live. Though I am incredibly biased as I play with a rogue, the change is detrimental to Rogue/Druid and Mage/Druid synergy. Druid/Rogue openers (sap on one target, clone on other; clone onto sap target) are significantly weaker which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for Druid/Rogue openers being crucial to the flow of a 3v3 match. I imagine playing with a mage will require impeccable coordination and timing.

As for some final notes, here are some things I would like to see changed with the druid class:

Symbiosis granting abilities like Ice Block, Dispersion, Divine Shield is ridiculous. Symbiosis should not grant major cooldown abilities.

Tranquility COULD use a touch up. As far as I know, it barely heals for more than Healing Tide Totem. Maybe increase its cooldown, but make it an instant spell with a targeting circle that lasts for a specific duration.

Clone Range should be a baseline 29 yards.

Heart of the Wild wrath damage as resto is considerably high - I have had 3v3 games where I have out damaged my rogue partner.

Any feedback is appreciated! A big thank you for anyone who took the time to read this!
Edited by Bigmoran on 1/6/2013 5:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Hey guys, it's Bigmoran. Some of you may know me by my Vanguards 10 Minute Laugh video, others may know me as that Tichondrius druid with the goofy transmog (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Bigmoran/simple) and I'm quite sure many of you may not know me at all.

I have been playing druid since season 4 and have stuck to it ever since. Even through the dark days of season 11, when resto druids were a considerably weak healer, I enjoyed playing my class and spec. I even found myself playing underdog compositions in 3v3 - WLD in S9, RPD in S11, RLD in S11/S12.

Lately, however, I have begun to lose interest in resto druid and I slowly find myself playing less and less arena. I fear that resto druids will soon have the same status as they did in S11 and will ultimately wind up as a less desirable healer.

One of the primary seasons I have this superstition is because of the 5.1 change to Battle Fatigue combined with the popularity of Warriors in 3v3 arena.

It has become quite clear that there has been a shift from constant damage in arena to burst damage. Comps like Affliction Lock, Resto Shaman, Boomkin and Affliction Lock, Shadow Priest, Healer are very rare on current arena ladders. Burst damage comps such as Arms Warrior, BM Hunter, Healer and Arms Warrior, Feral Druid, Healer are currently very popular.

Countering burst damage as a resto druid has always been pretty difficult. I'm quite certain I am not alone in the opinion that Resto Druids lack a powerful burst heal. With the rise in popularity of high burst comps in 3v3 and with the nerf to PvP healing, I find resto druids as one of the least suitable healers for competitive 3v3 arena (especially if you're like me and run underdog comps).

I know some people will be inclined to mention that there are resto druids who are successful this season, namely Starship, Shouri, Sodah, Mayo. But I think the success of the few is no remedy to the hardships of the many.

Likewise, arena representation data above 2200 is complicated as many teams on Battlegroups other than Bloodlust are inactive.

I have done some testing on the PTR and have dipped my toes into 3v3 Arena. Overall I am a bit disappointed with some of the class changes for resto druids (and at the same time very optimistic about Rogues). Displacer Beast, while being one of our most powerful survival tools, is otherwise rendered useless without an instant prowl. Resto druids have historically been very susceptible to hard swaps (with most of our survivability coming from the ability to preemtively swap hots). Displacer Beast was a potent boost to our survivability. I would have rather seen an increase on the cooldown instead of a change of its effect.

Cyclone DR is also a change I hope does not make it to live. Though I am incredibly biased as I play with a rogue, the change is detrimental to Rogue/Druid and Mage/Druid synergy. Druid/Rogue openers (sap on one target, clone on other; clone onto sap target) are significantly weaker which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for Druid/Rogue openers being crucial to the flow of a 3v3 match. I imagine playing with a mage will require impeccable coordination and timing.

As for some final notes, here are some things I would like to see changed with the druid class:

Symbiosis granting abilities like Ice Block, Dispersion, Divine Shield is ridiculous. Symbiosis should not grant major cooldown abilities.

Tranquility COULD use a touch up. As far as I know, it barely heals for more than Healing Tide Totem. Maybe increase its cooldown, but make it an instant spell with a targeting circle that lasts for a specific duration.

Clone Range should be a baseline 29 yards.

Heart of the Wild wrath damage as resto is considerably high - I have had 3v3 games where I have out damaged my rogue partner.

Any feedback is appreciated! A big thank you for anyone who took the time to read this!

lol, you thought Blizzard cared about this issue? Sorry. They don't.
Reply Quote
2nd
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I love the Moran
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Vesthis does a lot of damage.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
For clarification on the clone range:

Make clone range 29 yards - replace Glyph and Glove Bonus with something else.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
01/06/2013 04:53 PMPosted by Bigmoran

maybe so but it makes us useful in raids to help with soaking the various stuff we have to in heroic modes. So we can't get rid of those now ...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
k so this is just a burning blade party eh boys
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I agree you big Moran you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You make a good point about druids having problems with burst.

Another problem I see is that some healers have ways to get out of instant CC (sacrifice, tremor totem, etc...) and druids do not have as powerful of a mechanic to avoid instant CC. Considering most CC chains are based from instant CC, it would be cool to see druids get a tool to avoid/get out of instant CC.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
good post, rdruids look really strong because of their toolkit but their heals have become weaker and weaker as the season goes on.

ps put jjuice on ignore

One of the main reasons that druid healing output is weaker then other healers is because of how mobility, hard to CC, and their large CC toolkit is.

I mean if they could heal through burst like Shaman and Paladin while keeping all their other toys they would be overpowered.

Seems druids want to go back to 3 lifeblooms and a rejuv forcing a switch because just having those instant cast up prevented a kill on a target. I would prefer not to see us go back to Season 7 & 8 where druids were the only healer because they could keep people up with nothing but instant cast hots.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
yeah i understand your point and i agree they'd be too strong if their heals were as good as their cc

but since dps in this game is all burst now, rdruid heals just can't keep up with damage

Our sustained healing is equally bad. We have tree form to handle burst which is actually not that bad at it... outside of tree form our heals are just simply bad, which is why we rely on cc to relieve pressure or oom spamming 40k regrowths
Reply Quote
7 Dwarf Warrior
good post

druids rely on cyclone in combination with teammate's cc's top keep people alive. If cyclone DR's with most of other cc's, druids will have a very hard time healing. Not to mention, a big piece of what druids bring to the table is control, if you take that away druids look like shaman with less utility and smaller heals.
Reply Quote
9 Undead Priest
+rep due to your awesome name
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
There are so many CCs in this game, and druid baseline healing is so incredibly weak out side of Incarnation (Broccoli-form) that we need MORE help, not less. We're already the worst healer in 2s, with zero "hard outs" and so many classes having multiple gap-closers.

Our HoTs are a joke, and it takes one swap and we disintegrate.

Cyclone is already one of the worst CCs ... Unlike other CCs on an 8/4/2 cyclone is a 6/3/1 duration cycle and provides immunity to damage. I think the only one worse is Poly because of the healing. Yet it's going to get nerfed even further.

Saying "well, there are a couple druids doing okay" is not a valid argument. A few outliers are, basically, being carried by their team. Why do they do better when everyone else is struggling? Because they play that much better? Because they have secret RestoPowerRings? Or because their teammates are better, covering for the druid? While there does need to be some aspect of peels, a single good DPS can and will rip through everything I've got (62% resil + Rejuv + 3xLB(glyphed) and Barksin(glyphed) ) outside of Incarnation.

World PvP, we're fine. We hit the arena and we're garbage.

The game has gone from "set it up and use strategy to get a kill" to "hit the win key and just zerg." It's depressing as a healer, and it's not fun. No matter how good "you are" you're skillcapped by whomever you are playing with. That is a not a mechanism for having a good time when a single DPS can and will kill you in 5 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
01/06/2013 04:53 PMPosted by Bigmoran
Some of you may know me by my Vanguards 10 Minute Laugh video,

THANK YOU FOR THIS YOU ARE MY HERO.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest

One of the main reasons that druid healing output is weaker then other healers is because of how mobility, hard to CC, and their large CC toolkit is.

I mean if they could heal through burst like Shaman and Paladin while keeping all their other toys they would be overpowered.

Seems druids want to go back to 3 lifeblooms and a rejuv forcing a switch because just having those instant cast up prevented a kill on a target. I would prefer not to see us go back to Season 7 & 8 where druids were the only healer because they could keep people up with nothing but instant cast hots.

yeah i understand your point and i agree they'd be too strong if their heals were as good as their cc

but since dps in this game is all burst now, rdruid heals just can't keep up with damage

I am not saying they shouldn't see improvement. I am just saying it should be very hard for them to heal through burst in comparison to a Shaman.

Holy Paladins are actually the exception because their CC and mobility is FAR to strong considering their burst healing and they need major league nerfs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]