Memoirs of a Casual/Hardcore Raiding GL

90 Human Priest
This is a great read: analysis mixed with anecdote, with an interest in process and systems.

Many thanks to whoever bumped the thread last, or else I never would've spotted it.

I second that - what an outstanding blog/stoy!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Gonna share this with some friends who just started a guild, this is really good.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I went to read it as I am running a casual/hardcore raiding guild, but it says that blog is not available, is there another link for it where I can check it out? Would love to see what this blog has to say. My guild is still fairly new (3.5 weeks old) and I would love to see what is said here while we work to put together the missing pieces and get up off the ground
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
eightyearsinazeroth.blogspot.com

I've commented there (as Mackeyser) and read every post. It's must reading for all my officers.

It's been my contention that MoP is very much like TBC with Cata players and perks and thus requires a return to a TBC style leadership while still be cognizant of player expectations coming out of the last expac (as well as the diminished skills and diminished expectations FROM them... less time, less talent, less thinking... less everything, really)

If Blizz wants 25 man raiding back or even wants serious progression 10s to continue because on many servers THAT'S coming into doubt now, I'd say information like this blog is a goldmine.

My guild is indebted to Mature and we shall keep reading until he's done writing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wow. Thanks for that awesome read.

I was a guild leader in Vanilla, but my drive into raiding was not something the rest of my guild was into. I stepped away and into the drama of raiding. I watched guilds implode under the same pressures you faced. In the end I returned to my original guild and have been with ever since.

Reading your blog fills me with memories of times gone by...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
My guild is indebted to Mature and we shall keep reading until he's done writing.

I really appreciate all the positive support everyone's been pouring out over the memoirs. I commit to delivering more in this style as the story unfolds.

[edit]

As an aside, some of you may have noticed that about half way through, the posts are formatted bizarrely, missing photos, strange fonts...I'm in the process of going back through every post from the start and cleaning them up -- that's ongoing.
Edited by Mature on 4/16/2013 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I must say, and this is probably the English major in me, I found your style of writing very engaging. I just flows so sweetly! The second thing that struck me as I read this is what an incredible memory you must have!

This blog is in my favorites and I now know to check back every Tuesday. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Mature I am currently on part 5.5 Enter Blain, and I must say this has been an amazing read so far.

It is bringing back memories of my early WoW days back in Vanilla that are putting a smile on my face.

Absolutely awesome man.

Now if I could get my wife to understand my love for the game then I would be perfect! LoL
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This needs a good bump.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Waiting for #40!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
40 is up!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/18/2013 01:53 PMPosted by Famlock
Now if I could get my wife to understand my love for the game then I would be perfect!

Have her read it!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
41 is up for anyone who is curious.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
44 is up!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Amazing read. Very nostalgic. Thank you for taking the time to write it all up.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I love that the author is dedicated to writing this. 45 is up.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
Thus, my vote as a Proud Casual is this: LFR should not drop loot; not one piece of armor, weaponry, trinket, or junk. It should exist solely for role-players and lore junkies.

Then people would run it once. Once only, and probably never again. Which would be a bad investment on Blizzard's part.

But why is this guy complaining about LFR making content too accessible? The hardcore players will still be slogging through normal or heroics for the challenge, constantly striving to improve their performance. The bads and the casuals now have their content to keep them occupied and out of the way.
Reply Quote
Just got done reading the blog up to the most recent post in may 2013. It was really interesting to see the inner workings of a raid guild, and the work and stress that goes into large guild management.

The story did have one unexpected consequence, I know so much about you and your guildies, on the surface at any rate, that it seems like we're old friends. Your writing has the effect of making your reader feel included. Well done and keep up the good work.
Reply Quote
I just read 45. I must say, this is damn good.

I plan on reading the more previous posts.

Please keep them coming.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]