New expansion:The Past,(A)High Elves,(H)Ogres

90 Goblin Mage
Bad idea. Particularly the High Elves. 0/10.

Just Say "NO!" To World of Elfcraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VbOHvaPRc

You guize. Srsly. Whole threads. Not worth it. Plenty of other reasons why this idea is bad. Specifically having to zone jump like in Cataclysm with everything spread out and ish. Made Cata leveling/grinding feel stupid. Whole expac felt disjointed.

Stahp.

Stopping playable high elves is a worthy cause in my estimate. Sorry but every post I see that has someone demanding/asking for them, I'll be there offering a counter-argument telling Blizz "No we don't".

01/10/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Kiirraa
so i don't see why people are so anti elf? War hammer,Lord of the rings, and plenty of other fantasy settings have plenty of elves. High elves already exist just let them be playable whats so wrong about that?

That's just it though. Warcraft isn't "just another fantasy setting". Sure they have elves, but their elves are done differently. There you find your average light-skinned Legolas or Galadriel lookalike who's always wiser than mankind siding with humans against orcs. Here, "Legolas" has a rather severe case of narcissism and is siding with orcs against humans. It's one of the things that sets Warcraft apart from LOTR and the LOTR-wannabes.

True they did Blood Elves for the Horde more to balance out the population differences, but who cares? It still ignores the "Rules of Tolkien" that some people insist all fantasy MUST follow.

Playable high elves, to me at least, would be Blizzard conforming to that rule and shuffling WoW into the same wannabe-Tolkien slop bucket. I'd rather avoid that and it's why I say all high-elf wannabes would be much happier playing Everquest, LOTRO, WarHammer, or waiting for Elder Scrolls Online.
Edited by Jetzeppelin on 1/11/2013 2:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
01/11/2013 02:13 AMPosted by Jetzeppelin
Elder Scrolls Online.

In Elder Scrolls Online, High Elves are Arrogant, Xenophobic, Elven supremacists who believe mankind's "Creator god" is evil because he robbed them of their apparent divinity. They also believe that the only way to regain this divinity is to eradicate all evidence of humanity and "break" the wards holding the world together
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The horse is beaten beyond death. The horse has become death itself, destroyer of threads.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
01/11/2013 02:23 AMPosted by Nathanyel
Elder Scrolls Online.

In Elder Scrolls Online, High Elves are Arrogant, Xenophobic, Elven supremacists who believe mankind's "Creator god" is evil because he robbed them of their apparent divinity. They also believe that the only way to regain this divinity is to eradicate all evidence of humanity and "break" the wards holding the world together

Ah yes, good point. Forgot about that.

I can say that being able to slaughter some Elderberry Dominion in Skyrim was always a favorite past time for me. Doing it in ESO probably will have the same level of satisfaction.

Thanks for the reminder. ;)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Ah yes, good point. Forgot about that.

I can say that being able to slaughter some Elderberry Dominion in Skyrim was always a favorite past time for me. Doing it in ESO probably will have the same level of satisfaction.

Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Well, good thing is the Dark Elves are there to represent a less xenophobic, fascist, and annoying variety of Elves.

Personally, the Daggerfall Covenant looks pretty cool.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, in my point of view, arguing against High Elves is just about as useless as arguing for them. If people are so confident that Blizzard could never ever ever implement High Elves, the why waste so much time arguing it?

Personally? I don't really care either way. I mean, on the Horde, I have my Blood Elves, which are my go to race, while I play alts on the Alliance. I predominantly play Night Elves, as I appreciate all Elven lore within WoW, but I prefer the Highborne over the High Elves, and I go to the Alliance to play something different.

If people want to come up with their own scenarios on how they'd be implemented, all power to them, it really doesn't hurt me none. I mean, while Blizzard tries to do a good job, sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. We've all seen some god awful stuff we don't agree with, so what?

I also see people assert that Blizzard never ever follows the Human/Elf/Dwarf fantasy trope, when in reality, the High Elves do exist among the Humans and Dwarves, and making playable or not does not alter this fact.

Anyways, like Raynell has said, who really cares? When you see a High Elf thread and no one responds, it will usually die out within 2 or 3 pages, but when people come in so vehemently opposed, these threads hit lockout, and we usually see 2 or 3 more threads just like it pop up within the next couple of days.

Now, I'm not really looking to defend said topic, just more so an observation, and to tell you that it isn't just one party beating the dead horse.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/10/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Nuriele
They're more simplistic than orcs and have no distinguishing features aside from said simplistic quality.

How about Ogri'la ogres?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/10/2013 07:22 PMPosted by Kaelgos
I don't understand the obsession with High Elves. Do you not like the green eyes of blood elves? Do you want to play blood elves but due to certain circumstances you want to stay alliance?

That's one of the reasons actually.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
01/10/2013 09:25 PMPosted by Yandi
Horde gets Ogres, Alliance get Broken

Thought of that, didn't want Broken. And they don't have females so far for sure. I'd better get Arakkoa.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
NO!*slaps you with a rolled up newspaper*BAD! BAD! NO HIGH ELVES!

01/10/2013 06:42 PMPosted by Jetzeppelin
Just Say "NO!" To World of Elfcraft

Sorry, but as horde players, who do you think you are to dictate to blizzard, and indeed alliance members, which races they can/can't or should/shouldn't have? You won't be playing them, so you don't need to worry yourselves sick about what races they might get next expansion. I.e. it doesn't really affect you - ok, maybe if you are a blood elf it might add some interesting lore and further divide the race, which I can understand concerns some. However, nothing is certain yet about future races.

I like the way the high elf/blood elf lore is heading recently - in terms of the whole Dalaran affair and the Kirin Tor... I will be very eager/interested to see how it is resolved...next expansion.

Btw...there have been a few high elf forums over the last few weeks. While it makes for interesting reading, perhaps we should refocus the topics of the forums or combine them into one. Eventually they all descend into pro/anti high elf rhetoric anyway...so...more of the same for me. Been there, done that.

Next... What do people think the next expansion will be about anyway?
Edited by Cyclonyc on 1/11/2013 5:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
01/11/2013 05:38 AMPosted by Cyclonyc
Sorry, but as horde players, who do you think you are to dictate to blizzard, and indeed alliance members, which races they can/can't or should/shouldn't have?

Those who don't want the Alliance to poach members of what are, basically, our own race?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go again.

Abandon thread, derpstorm incoming with a high chance of hot air and butthurt.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
01/11/2013 06:22 AMPosted by Nuriele
Those who don't want the Alliance to poach members of what are, basically, our own race?

The implementation of playable races has, in every instance, been accompanied by a complete and utter re-work of their model to bring them to a level of 100% uniqueness; there is nothing to suggest this pattern would change going into the future.

If they were to actualize High Elves as a playable race, they would have a completely different model to accompany their completely different lore, their completely different culture and their completely different mentalities.

Also this:

01/11/2013 06:31 AMPosted by Raynell
Edited by Fyersing on 1/11/2013 6:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Derpstorm. The ultimate ability of Lady Marrowherp
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Derpstorm. The ultimate ability of Lady Marrowherp

ERMAGHERD. BHORNED BY BHERN.

BHERNNNNNNSTERRRRRHMMMMM.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
ERMAGHERD. BHORNED BY BHERN.

BHERNNNNNNSTERRRRRHMMMMM.

TEH SCERJ WIL WERSH OVA THERS WERLD AS A SWERM OF DERTH AND DERSTRERCTSHERN!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Making Quel'thalas neutral and making Orgres playable might be the best course of action. There would be grumbling from people who are anti-neutral, but people would get their Ogres and Alliance would have access to Blood/High Elves.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
01/11/2013 06:33 AMPosted by Fyersing
If they were to actualize High Elves as a playable race, they would have a completely different model to accompany their completely different lore, their completely different culture and their completely different mentalities.

If by "completely different" you mean "exactly the same minus all of the history past WC2, meaning they're part relic, part human sycophant." They'd be a worse idea than worgen, and I really don't like the worgen.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
01/11/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Nuriele
If by "completely different" you mean "exactly the same minus all of the history past WC2, meaning they're part relic, part human sycophant." They'd be a worse idea than worgen, and I really don't like the worgen.

It looks like you're arguing that somehow a shared history means people are exactly the same, which is absurd to say the least.

If you're going by that logic then I'm not an American, I'm British.
But the British aren't British, they're Anglo-Saxons.
But the Anglo-Saxons aren't Anglo-Saxon, they're Old Saxons.
But the Old Saxons aren't Old Saxons, they're proto-Germanics.
But the proto-Germanics aren't proto-Germanics, they're archaic homosapiens sapiens.
So, then, since we all share a history I'm not American at all. I'm primordial goo.

If you're talking about change then the only (i.e. singularly exclusive) relevant points of interests are the turning points; in the case of the fracturing of High Elves / Blood Elves, they exists not unlike the British and the early Americans -- as distinct groups, culturally and otherwise.
Edited by Fyersing on 1/11/2013 8:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
01/11/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Damila
Making Quel'thalas neutral and making Orgres playable might be the best course of action. There would be grumbling from people who are anti-neutral, but people would get their Ogres and Alliance would have access to Blood/High Elves.

I really don't think that's the best course of action. Given that the High Elves are still probably pretty pissed about their removal from Quel'Thalas, and now the Blood Elves are probably pretty pissed about their or their comrades removal from Dalaran, I think them making up is a long shot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]