When Does Mana Start To Matter?

70 Worgen Druid
Just came back to WoW a couple of weeks ago after being away for a couple years. I'm still adjusting to the new WoW; all zoom zoom and easy mode and not much thinking required, at least at low levels.

I only enjoy healing. DPS is boring as heck and tanking is just not me. So I've been messing around with the various low level healing classes trying to get a feel for which I'll like best.

So far this is the only character I've played into the 60s. I'm wondering when mana is going to start to matter again? My WoW roots go back to the ancient days when healers had to sit and drink between every group of trash mobs. So it feels strange to just be able to cast anything I want endlessly and never have the mana run out.

I worry that I'm going to develop bad habits if I can always cast the expensive fast heals and not learn when I need to choose the cheap slow heals. How long is it going to be like this?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
It starts to change at 85, roughly. You might not really notice until 86-87.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/10/2013 11:59 PMPosted by Kaels

Actually, I'd say that it gets noticeable at about level 83. That's when the first jump in costs vs. regen/mana pool size really kick in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 12:34 AMPosted by Tiriél

Actually, I'd say that it gets noticeable at about level 83. That's when the first jump in costs vs. regen/mana pool size really kick in.

Also when your tiny heal doesn't heal a tank to full every time due to messed up spellpower scaling... BC and wrath, man... The scaling is just bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 12:38 AMPosted by Keirisonis
Also when your tiny heal doesn't heal a tank to full every time due to messed up spellpower scaling... BC and wrath, man... The scaling is just bad.

The scaling is AMAZING. TOTALLY AMAZING.

I had some guy telling my Shaman that she was "doing it wrong" because she was using Healing Surge during Wrath content. I was like, "Um, sure. Anyway, I'll worry about it when my mana dips below 80%."

>.>
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
79-80 you'll notice a huge change in needing to manage mana then another change from 84 to 85
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
01/11/2013 12:46 AMPosted by Tiriél

The scaling is AMAZING. TOTALLY AMAZING.

I had some guy telling my Shaman that she was "doing it wrong" because she was using Healing Surge during Wrath content. I was like, "Um, sure. Anyway, I'll worry about it when my mana dips below 80%."

>.>

Yeah but it teaches bad habits to low level healers. Like when spamming rejuv is faster and does more healing than letting it tick even a little bit. Or shielding a tank and not needing to do ANYTHING else for 15 seconds. Then they hit the level where spell choice matters and you end up with horrible healers who blame their groups for their bad habits. Or get kicked because well, they suck.

It is nice to feel op for about 80 levels but... It's a bit too much when you can outheal anything that doesn't global the entire group, with very little effort, or even gear needed to do it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Then there is challenge modes. This is the gameplay you're used too.
Reply Quote
01/11/2013 12:38 AMPosted by Keirisonis

I have a 72 Paladin and a 68 Monk, and healing is so easy because my heals hit ridiculously hard compared to health pools. A Holy Light is generally enough to heal a tank to full, and with Beacon, that's two targets that I can fully heal with one cast. On my Monk, I'll just spread Renewing Mist to everyone and watch it heal for 15% of their health every tick, and I'll pop an Uplift if I have to in order to heal everyone up. I feel so OP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
IMO, the biggest changes occur:

83-84
87-89

This all depending on gear. IMO, at 78 you can grab Cata greens easily enough off the AH for pennies on the barrel head, so you can grab gear with huge spirit and intellect and be absurdly over powered. 83-84 isn't as bad now as it used to be if you're lucky enough to grab some MoP BoEs, but they can get expensive. If you don't have them, the naturally available Cata gear will leave you feeling the mana pain, particularly at level 84. It hurts even with some of the MoP boes, which are basically heroic Dragon Soul gear.

87-89 is somewhat more forgiving than 83-84, but you'll definitely notice that even spamming your cheap heal will run you out of mana. You'll find yourself drinking for mana between pulls.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
88-90 was probably the worst of the break points for me in MoP, and 84 in cata content was a bit of a shock as well.

Both my priest and pally went from never worrying about mana to watching it dip quite dramatically depending on the group and tank.

That was actually a big key. Mana management was the worst when I had a tank in not even DS cata gear in Mogu'shan Palace. Keeping him up took every CD I had, most of my mana, and a lot of tooth grinding. I was on my disc priest - who is usually a relatively efficient healer, but on that run not so much!

Other runs with better geared tanks that used CDs, I might end up half mana after a large pull or boss with adds, but NOTHING like that. And really good tanks that kept up with their gearing and used THEIR mitigation? Mana was a non issue.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Near the level cap mana gets pretty tight, especially healing LFD and LFR. I got reaquainted with stacking spirit, regen cooldowns, mana potion hotkeys, trinketing, etc.

Not quite as bad as healing Tempest Keep, but I have found myself longing for in combat potion cooldowns and mana injectors once or twice.

Helps to hit up the class forums, elitistjerks, or other places for current healing guides when you start to feel the pinch on mana, lets you find any bad habits you've picked up and fix them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
80 is where I first start to notice I don't have infinite mana, you don't struggle too much til 82 if you don't flash heal. It hits REALLY hard at 85 and increases. My monk was going oom just by casting renewing mists mostly at 89, but it actually got a bit easier at 90 when I got a decent tank.
Reply Quote
This is the first healer I've leveled, and last night, at 79, I just started noticing low mana issues mid-dungeon. It got me trying different healing strategies and patterns to experiment. From what I've read, disc is overall more mana efficient than holy, so I'm thinking it's time for me to make the switch.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
It matters the day you set foot in a raid
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Went OOM for the first time since rolling this druid last night on my first LFR (first ever as a healer always played warrior in the past) on this account. Never had any issues until then though.

I also came back after not playing since Algalon, the healing is faceroll as a druid from 1- heroics. I thought heroics would at least be a stress, but they are the same difficulty as 87 dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
LFR.

I'm still adjusting to the new WoW; all zoom zoom and easy mode and not much thinking required, at least at low levels.

It never was anything but easy mode at low levels.
Edited by Geezushkrist on 1/14/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Went OOM for the first time since rolling this druid last night on my first LFR (first ever as a healer always played warrior in the past) on this account. Never had any issues until then though.

I also came back after not playing since Algalon, the healing is faceroll as a druid from 1- heroics. I thought heroics would at least be a stress, but they are the same difficulty as 87 dungeons.

Yep. Easymode is easy. When you're grouped with 4 total strangers, making this too hard results in no one enjoying themselves. :-P

Once you do some raiding, I'm sure you'll feel differently.
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage

It never was anything but easy mode at low levels.

Pre-boa leveling was a much longer and more involved process. People use to like, look for groups to do group quests and stuff. I remember needing full groups to do group quests in vanilla.

We walked uphill both ways.

Edit: Oh, and as far as the topic goes, I'd say mana doesn't start to really matter until 90.

Low level scaling in this game is pathetic and awful. Not only does mana not function at all like it does at max level, but many abilities scale so poorly (even worse this xpac then the last) that they are disgustingly op until high levels. Most healing related spells actually fit into the scaling disaster category. Low level PW:S is as big or bigger then people's total health, rejuv ticking for crazy amounts compared to total health and so on.
Edited by Irate on 1/14/2013 2:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Resto druid is significantly easier on the mana pool while leveling up. In the MoP level ranges, my disc/holy priest would sit at half mana in any situation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]